Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I offer a free sample of one of the products I sale for people to try before they buy. They send a SASE, and we send the sample with product and ordering info. I got an email from someone the other day saying that they received their SASE back with the product info and order info, but no sample. Plus the envelope looked like it had been through quite a bit and was taped closed. I blew it off and thought that the Post Office may have eaten the envelope and the sample was lost. Although they do usually put damaged letters in that special plastic pouch with an apology for eating your mail before it gets to you.

Well today I got 2 more complaints about the same thing! In one case the envelope had been so sloppily taped back together again, another local letter got stuck to it (not yet postmarked) and piggy backed it's way all the way from La to Wy. You would think someone along the way would have noticed that.

So it now appears that someone at the Post Office we send the samples out from is tampering with the mail and taking out our samples! Who knows what other mail they are pilfering through. Our envelopes might look attractive for potential bounty since we put the samples in bubble or foam pouches so the envelope is thicker than normal. People are just too amazing sometimes. So I'll have a fun time tomorrow raising holy you know what with the Post Master General's Office tomorrow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH,
    I guess I don't have to tell you that it is a crime (felony) for that to happen. Do you mail your mail out from your house or the PO. We had an incident at our old Condo where all outgoing mail went out in a small open box near the front door (we were all neighbors who got along)...turns out somebody was coming in at night and stealing the outgoing mail...It wasn't until a guy called us and said he found what was left of our car payment on the ground about 20 miles from where we live (with about 25 other peoples mail...only 1 was a neigbhor). They were looking for the checks enclosed...I won't disclose the crime, but you probably get the idea.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

It's mail tampering, and it's a federal felony charge I believe. These are sent out directly to the Post Office. I usually have a couple hunderd at a time when I send them out. So it is happening at the Post Office. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] It's not the PO I usually use though. My PO is very good. This is a different one. I have been using free family slave labor to help me process these because of the quantity I'm now receiving. It's their PO, which is terrible.

I actually hand deliver all my busniess mail directly at the Post Office or to my carrier now. That's since I had a shipment of orders one day that I had placed outside to catch the mailman, and then got side tracked back in the house for about 15 minutes. It just happened to be garbage day also. When I came back out the garbagemen had made off with all my shipments. They got what they deserved though. Around $250 worth of not very fun health products. LOL. Serves them right. Couldn't prove it though. So I took it as a tax right off.

I'll have the Post Master (not at the local office though) all over this. Plus it makes my company look bad when people don't get what I offered. What with all the scams out there these days.

Bet you started dropping off your mail at the PO after that little incident. I guess it isn't always the PO who has lost the mail. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

After seeing several specials on news programs like 60 minutes about how easy it is to alter checks, and what big business it is, I've always taken all my mail to the post office myself.

Never put outgoing mail in your mailbox, especially when the mail contains a check to pay a bill. You can't be too careful!

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracy:
    especially when the mail contains a check to pay a bill. You can't be too careful!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially too, if that bill is for insurance of any kind that will lapse if the check never arrives. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    You may consider trying your next ship-out from a post office in the next town over first; this way you will have 'isolated' the problem to your own town's PO if nothing happens to these ones.

Yep, the Postmaster General don't play around. But the more info you can offer = the more action you will get from them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

We're not immune in the UK to this.

I've only ever had 2 packages go missing in the mail. Both software packages. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    As for cheques. Were you aware that neither the signature on the cheque nor the name of the person the cheque is paid to are looked at by UK banks. And haven't been for a long time.

You can take a cheque payable to the King of the World, signed by Mickey Mouse and put it in your account and no one will blink a eyelid. How do I know this ?

Two reasons - firstly, I am self-employed but occasionally get cheques payable to 1 Design 4 Life. I have cashed every one of these with no problems.

Secondly, a 'friend' of mine decided that - for a laugh, he said - he would take one of my old torn cheques, write it to, yup, the King of the World and sign it Mickey Mouse. He took it to his bank and paid it into his account. It cleared.

I think he was as stunned as I was angry. Tempted though I was to prosecute him for fraud, I accepted the money back in cash.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

It's not helped by the fact that things like utility payments by post are easily identifiable because of the preprinted envelopes.. a good reason to do your bill payments online!

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    I say you send out a package or two from the shady Post Office, but rather than your free sample, you should include a note saying "BUSTED!"
    I'm sure that will get the person to think twice before doing that again...

Supras | Celicas

I don't think so. Now, if the Postal Inspectors catch them at it, they won't have to think twice. They'll be in jail. What they are doing is a Federal offense.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

I gave my initial complaint over the phone to the Post Office. They said it would be forwarded to the correct people and someone would be contacting me if they need further info.

And yes it is a Federal offense. I saw a very interesting show once about Postal Inspectors. On of those Behind Closed Doors or something. These guys pretty much have carte blanche to go anywhere and do anything they won't, more so than other law enforcement agencies. That's why many times things get turned over to them under mail fraud from other agencies like the FBI. You'd rather have 60 Minutes or the FBI checking you out than Postal Inspectors showing up on your doorsetp. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread