View Poll Results: What skills are most beneficial to an affiliate and in what proportion?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% technical, 100% marketing

1 4.17%
  • 25% technical, 75% marketing

11 45.83%
  • 50 / 50

8 33.33%
  • 75% technical, 25% marketing

4 16.67%
  • 100% technical, 0% marketing

0 0%
    Question Possessing What Skills Benefits An Affiliate Most?
    ...from your experience and point of view: marketing/creative or technical (let's include programming, SEO, PPC, etc similar ones here) ones, and in what proportion/mix?

A discussion on the topic would also be interesting...

Thanks,

Geno

I know successful affiliates with all different degrees of technical and marketing abilities, and it's far easier if you have both. Even if you don't, recognizing those limitations and getting outside help in your weaker area helps. That said, more of the successful affiliates I know are weighted more on the technical end. But I do know successful people on both ends of the technical/marketing continuum, so you can do it with either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "Possessing What Skills Benefits An Affiliate Most?"

Time management skills... do they fall under technical or marketing?

Anyhow, avoiding time wasting activities, like taking part in unproductive polls, is a key ingredient to doing well.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    "Possessing What Skills Benefits An Affiliate Most?"
    Time management skills... do they fall under technical or marketing? Anyhow, avoiding time wasting activities, like taking part in unproductive polls, is a key ingredient to doing well.
    But are you referring to Technical polls or Marketing polls?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    ...avoiding time wasting activities, like taking part in unproductive polls, is a key ingredient to doing well.
    Not sure who is to judge if a poll is "productive" or "unproductive". To me all of the polls I have posted at ABW have a reason behind them. The current one, for example (should you wonder), helps me (and maybe other AMs as well) decide what to offer affiliates as a program manager: technical or creative services in forms of affiliate help, bonus activities, weekly offers, etc...

Geno

>> SEO, PPC

marketing skill ? or technical ?

>>polls

those come from merchant emails

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Geno, lighten up babe, i was kidding - don't get all defensive.

and i was pointing at myself - it's late in the evening, i've had a long day, i'm leaving tomorrow for 5-6 days, my family's at home waiting for me to get there and i'm taking a poll...

i shoulda stressed the "taking part" aspect - didn't mean to crack on you - polls are fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    ...from your experience and point of view: marketing/creative or technical (let's include programming, SEO, PPC, etc similar ones here) ones, and in what proportion/mix?

A discussion on the topic would also be interesting...

Thanks,

Geno
    marketing - technical?

From my experience, there is one more thing missing on that poll.

personal experience - technical - marketing

How about personal experience, like: don't believe everything you read anywhere, don't avoid a merchant, just because someone else have a problem with that merchant, don't join a merchant, just because someone else just posted that they are making a killing with that merchant, don't bash a merchant, just because someone else just bash that merchant, don't exclude a merchant, just because someone else just posted that, that merchant don't convert, or this, or that. (my qoute)
    What skills are most beneficial to an affiliate and in what proportion?
    But if I only have those two ( technical - marketing ) to chose from, well.....

From my experience and point of view, here is what I think:

If the technical part relates to: datafeeds, goldencan, php, mysql, new sas widgets, web2, rss, etc, etc.....

and....

If the marketing part relates to: targeted clicks, more content, seo, ppc, unique content, title tags, meta tags, unique deals, unique coupons, etc, etc.......

Then, I will just have to say 50/50, because while one merchant may supply just the technical tools only, and another merchant may provide just the marketing ideas only, maybe if you use your own personal experience and combine those two for your own benefit, maybe you will come out ahead on this business.

To me all of the polls I have posted at ABW have a reason behind them. The current one, for example (should you wonder), helps me (and maybe other AMs as well) decide what to offer affiliates as a program manager: technical or creative services in forms of affiliate help...
    Geno
    Hey, Geno, I logged in so that I could participate in the poll.
    I like your polls and view them as another venue for feedback that lets everyone participate

I said 50/50

I'm always glad to get any technical pointers.
    I know html, CSS, some photoshop techniques, & a little javascript but I know that I could implement my ideas more effectively if I had more technical know-how (I have a PHP book on the shelf, I just need to open it )

I'm always glad to hear marketing tips too. Even though I don't bid on keywords, I'd still like to know what keywords to choose in order to build a better page/site (with better results) ...

All affiliates come with a different mix of skills and no matter what the level of expertise an affiliate may have, each affiliate appreciates "real feedback" (as real as the AM can get) -- the feedback could be as simple as "Have you tried this on that page?" etc...

I've noticed some affiliates have great tech skills but their marketing skills could use some polish or vis versa.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I said 25/75, in favor of marketing.

That's mainly because I think PPC belongs under "marketing" and not technical. There's not much technical about it, but writing an ad that'll bring buyers and not dud clicks is definitely marketing.

SEO's pretty much a combination of both tech and marketing. Tech to figure out the algo, and marketing to set your pages so the preview snippets the engine puts for your pages actually show something enticing.

But overall, it's not just about getting traffic, it's knowing what to do with it when it does come. For the most part, that's marketing. Whether on a simple HTML page or a site with all of the latest programming, the customer isn't going to be motivated to buy if the marketing isn't good.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I said 75 / 25 because the things I have trouble with technically, you guys put under marketing. I always thought of myself as a marketing person until I got into this affiliate marketing thing.

When I think of marketing, I'm thinking campaigns and promotions (consumer), copywriting, headlines, catching the seasonal activity correctly and sales plans for the next 3-6 months. When I think technical, it's datafeeds, ppc, page design, seo, etc.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread