This concern is because of the discussion found here.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=1686043561

Does any one know if Bravenet has any parasitic connection??

Please, list any greeting card scum you know of here. We don't want to use them by mistake.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I've received some humorous links from friends that are like greetings cards. YOu click on it, and then you're taken to a page ... and it is funny. However, at the bottom of the page it says "Send this to your friends."

It is obvious to me that this is just somebody's attempt to collect valid email addresses so they bombard them with SPAM. Unfortunately, there are many out there who don't realize the repercussions of entering other people's email addresses into a page like that.

Which is worse, opening an e-card that's going to give your computer a virus or a friend who doesn't know any better than to enter your email address into one of these forms?

If my husband puts me on any more lists, I'm going to change my email address and not tell him what it is.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    These are the con-artists amongst our own ranks willing to do anything to make a buck. What you say? I say no legit merchant facing today's Internet reality would ever devise e-mail viruses or build a business around FREE greeting cards. It has gotten to the poinht I consider every single lead merchant is just an affiliate in disguise. They all seem to be recycle bins for spamm lists.

WebMaster Mike

I have "Send this page to a friend," on all my MOM pages and I DON'T collect any e-mail addresses from it.

You are painting with a pretty broad brush.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    >>>I say no legit merchant facing today's Internet reality would ever devise e-mail viruses

I don't think e-mail viruses would be legit in today's, yesterday's, or tomorrow's reality!

>>>or build a business around FREE greeting cards.

I don't think trying that would *work*, but there may be a few places trying to cling to the old "get lotsa impressions" model. I would expect them to end up on Pud's site if that was really their main business model...

>>>It has gotten to the poinht I consider every single lead merchant is just an affiliate in disguise.

I disagree on this. A lot of loan and insurance places are "lead merchants" and I haven't seen them as affiliates in most cases. And the big commissions they pay for a lead would indicate that for them, a lead is worth more than just having one more email on the list. Of course, what they demand before they call it a "lead" is usually a lot more stringent than just an email addy!

As for the tell-a-friend thingy, I think a lot of them are just after the email addies but it can be done without that, too. There are some sites that seem to serve no purpose except to try to get piles of people to come and see the gimmick (like that Big Red Button site or one of the Dancing Bush sites)...I would agree that those are probably after the emails mainly since there doesn't seem to be any OTHER way for them to make money--and the bandwidth usage on a "faddishly popular" site can get ridiculous so I'm sure that it's NOT a "labor of love".

But I don't think every site that has some kind of "email your friends" script is up to something, either.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I was addressing those affiliates who signup for a greeting card scam script that pays them a few cents as they compromise the privacy and systems of their visitors. Spammers and parasites have to devise a way to scrap e-mail addresses, entice downloads by duping stupid affiliates into promoting the FREEBEE frontends for a few cents. Every damn Free offer category from clipart, P2P file sharing, to Tell-a-friend is infested with affiliate con-men and spammers who will stoop to any trick for money. Sorry if it catches some ABWers who promote the spreading of parasites -adwarz viruses, spyware and the feeding frenzie of the spammers through FREEBEE programs. We ask merchants to kick the thieves out of their affiliate pools, while some of those here just feed them more victims. There are exceptions to the rule ..but it seems the rule is exploit all FREEBEEs with hidden scumware programs.

It is getting to the point where we, when visiting some ABW affiliate sites, have to run BHOCop Ad-Aware after the visit. Sure their are merchants who are worthless greedy buggers who devise and use diversion tactics to minimize commission payouts. My immediate target right now is eHobbies.com, who like the Grinch, is exploiting the Christmas hot season. But the nesting habits of all parasites and spammers lead to FREBBEE and "incent" sites run by affiliates ..not merchants.

Mark my words. Pud's site will host a pile of affiliate programs that will parallel the likes of CyberRebates, who will not pay up members when those payments come due after the first of the year. The 90's were full of CPC script kiddies who then moved into the lead rackets.

This community gets all lathered up over parasites stealing product sale commissions and interloping on our traffic. Who spreads these applications that infect millions of endusers computers?? In many cases it the very same affiliates who are complaining, while devising or signing up for some scheme to not be bound to their own domains for revenue. Who pushed the iWons -CyberRebates -eBates -Gator -uPromise -FreeLotto or other FreeBee 5 cent lead clicks spreading doom on our industry?

WebMaster Mike

No a greeetin card but a similar case:

Crushlink.com

They send you and "Somebody has a crush on you" email, then want you register. After you register, to give about hints about who "has a crush on you", they want you to send 5 crush e-mails. For every hint you want, you need to send 5 e-mails.

It's all bullsh*t!

Their site, however, resemble MyPoints website, especially design-wise, so I'd suspect there could be a relation with them. It's just a "suspicion".

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread