Of course, I am curious and it would be rude not to truly if it is genuine.

But, I have heard you also get stuff you don't want with some e-cards. I can't tell who it is from if I don't retrieve it.

What do you think?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From &lt;inguyen@viawest.net&gt;
    To xxxxx
    Subject You have a eletronic postcard waiting for you!
    Date 12:32 PM

You have a eletronic postcard waiting for you!
    To pick up your card, simply point your browser at the page listed below.
    http://www.vnky.com/post_personal.html
    http://www.vnky.com/post_personal.html
    The card will remain on the server for about two weeks, so
    please print it out or save it as soon as you can.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on November 16, 2002 at 03:41 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's a damn shame BLFH that the forces behind BHO parasitic Adware/spyware have teamed up with spammers and trojan horse computer virus programmers to destroy the E-Greeting card Industry. The few remain legit e-Greeting card companies should immediately take the abusers to court seeking injunctions and civil suit penalities. Til then if it isn't a a brand name Old line company like BlueMountain Greeting Cards, which require NO-PLUG-INS to read the card, don't open the link.

SEE this brand new article on how a spamming virus sends out phoney e-Greeting cards from your very own friend's computer Outlook express address book to see the new wave of spreading Adwarez BHO crap on your computer's hardrive. The legality issues are pointed out as the snakes wrapped up in lawyer's costumes make real computer viruses legal....read this everyone including network management and merchants and weap...
    http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1001-...&subj=cnetnews

There was a time when the Internet was thought to not be a viable medium for the wanks in advertising. Great positive article on Pay-per-performance affiliate marketing is found at ..
    http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_Sp...?spinID=187477

WebMaster Mike

I deleted it unopened. I may never know who sent it. It makes me sad.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    @WebmasterMike:

Yes it's a shame that a few greedy wanks ruin the good stuff for everyone. Seems that nothing is safe anymore.

@ SSanf:

Doesn't look like you are missing a thing by deleting that email. I went to www.vnky.com and it's a classified ad site. I didn't see anything related to greeting cards on it. I then went to the URL in your post, and it's just a static page to post a personal classified ad. It looks like maybe it was just spam to get you to their site to post an ad under the guise of receiving a greeting card??? Although the pages did try to run Active X software, but of course I didn't let it. Whatever the ulterior motives may have been, it doesn't seem that you had a legitimate greeting card. But if you want to get one, I can send you one from my site. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] You can see how graphically challenged I am.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

It looks like the "Friends Greeting" Trojan. It's kind of a virus for the stupid, because you have to install it and the first line of the EULA tells you it's going to email itself to everyone in your address book.

Trouble is, a lot of people are stupid.

AdAware doesn't pick it up, but most AV scanners will. It's not really a virus or a trojan because the user has to agree to install it.

We've had 6 of our PCs infected in the last week. As an aside, a scan our our PCs revealed 12 Gator infections out of 300 scanned.

Меня зовут Динаму

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Trouble is, a lot of people are stupid.

the user has to agree to install it.

We've had 6 of our PCs infected in the last week <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This does not show you in a good light Dynamoo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

BLFH

Thanks for the offer of a greeting card. I don't need one right now. My new Wicca student just came for her class and she brought me a beautiful present. I feel so warm and fuzzy. How sweet that was. So, I am feeling all kinds of nurtured.

I appreciate your checking it out. I was afraid to even click on the link. That makes me feel nurtured, too.

ABW Ambassador
    Forward the greetings card e-mail to a hotmail account, and then go to an internet cafe to read your mail [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

This makes me mad because I run a legitimate greeting card website!
    What does it take to run the scumbags out of business???
    They simply switch tactics and pop up somewhere else....

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

Oh! I would be SO burned if I were you!!!

In this day and age, I think it's just plain common sense to make sure people know you'll be sending them something ahead of time.

If you want to send a greeting card, that's great. But E-mail them from an address they'll recognize beforehand to let them know something is coming.

I also delete things I'm not sure about, which is sad, but the risk is too great to take a chance.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dynamoo said.."It's not really a virus or a trojan because the user has to agree to install it."

Very confusing statement. Logic is similar to saying robbing a bank isn't a crime as long as you inform the tellers your doing it with a note or permission slip.

WebMaster Mike

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Logic is similar to saying robbing a bank isn't a crime as long as you inform the tellers your doing it with a note or permission slip. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, technically, if the bank agrees to the "unusual transfer" of *their own* money--it IS a gift from the bank as opposed to a robbery.

The person who agrees to let the greeting card program be installed is agreeing that their address book & system resources can be used...

This, of course, being different from software that asks the user to agree to the transfer of someone ELSE'S money! (Not using the P word)

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's not a trojan because it does exactly what it says. A trojan pretends to be something else.

Nope, I didn't install it. But our global head of network security (in the US) did. Doh. And our Northern European MD. And a whole bunch of people who will install anything.

It's all about social engineering. If you remember the "I Love You" and "Anna Kournikova" viruses, they weren't technically advanced, they were just clever in the way they manipulated people into clicking the links.

Gator, and these other drive-by downloads work the same way, but while Gator masks its true purpose as a useful utility, the greeting card thing makes no bones about it. What we have with this is an interesting crossover from viruses to marketing. A new spin on viral marketing, if you like [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It just goes to prove that people will click on ANYTHING and agree to it. We sent out two warnings about this and people STILL clicked it. Stupidly, in the warning message we didn't disable the URL and they clicked it immediately after being told NOT to. And then they went and installed it, despite it being strictly against company policy and despite what the EULA says.

This is the second generation of this e-card. The first one rather clumsily tried to use an IE exploit to change the homepage (this gets picked up as the "Seeker" exploit with our AV scanner). The new one drops the exploit, and therefore slipped underneath our AV software.

There are a few different versions, but they all essentially look like this.

I wonder how many people would install it if you said "This application will go through your data and retrieve your credit card details. By agreeing to install this application you assent to allow us to use your credit cards to make any transactions we see fit."

Меня зовут Динаму

See McAfee's <A HREF="http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/security_alerts/greeting_cards/default.asp" TARGET=_blank>
    Security Alert: Fake Email Greeting Cards
    </A>

I've gotten these too Ssanf and also been afraid to go look.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread