Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    Whether you're part of our program or not, you've got to check out our new product link tool. We call it the Sniplet Generator, feel free to make Dr. Evil air quotes, since it produces a sniplet of java script which generates dynamic product links.

Check it out: Sniplet Generator

You get control over what products show up and the java will ensure only in-stock products show up.

You get to choose:

What brand

What product group

How many products

How wide the listing will be

Whether an image appears

Whether a short description appears

Please let me know what you think of this new tool, what you like and what needs to be improved. We're excited to have something like this to help eliminate out of stock products and give you more control over product links.

Enjoy,

Bryan

[This message was edited by Bryan - BackcountryStore.com on November 12, 2002 at 06:30 PM.]

I'd really be curious to hear some thoughts from any of you on this tool. Is it useful? How should it evolve?

You can see an example of it in action at Skier's Journalin the left, right, and center columns. Center one is a little farther down.

Check it and spec it and tell us how you feel.

Thanks,

John

The Merchant only wins if the Afilliate wins.

Outsourced Program Manager
    John,

I have to say that you guys have outdone yourselves! This tool is incredible. It is not only kind of fun to play with, but how can anyone say they don't have the right creative from you guys anymore.

I am truly impressed and only slightly jealous [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I encourage all your affiliates and everyone here to check it out. What an awesome idea!

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

ABW Ambassador
    Not a member, you rejected my site about a year ago. But I really like the sniplet generator!
    Cazzie

Kewl! I just played with it and tried a couple different specs. I really like it. Good job!

Cazzie....come back...lets take another look at your site. By being at A Best Web you deserve to be in our program.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Nice work there from Backcountry.
    Just put a few more of your links up the other day as well as a full page link up.
    When I get back in a while I have a number of ideas I want to use with this tool
    THANKS, we can always use more tools like this to kick start sales.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Real nice Bryan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If I can incorporate it the way I am hoping to it will be very very good.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Bryan,

Really Sweet Tool!

I played a bit with it and noticed one tweak and one suggestion so far ...

Tweak
    ============
    The bottom table that says Backcountrystore.com does not auto expand like the regular table, I put in 770pixels and the bottom table stayed at 120 pixels. Not a big deal but turnkey is turnkey no?

Suggestion
    =============
    I did a product link test on Oakley, wanted sunglasses but got sandals included in the mix. When I did a specific category I only saw sunglass cases [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] If it is possible, I'd like to suggest a snippet code for all the keyword variations of BCS (eg sunglasses). I realize this takes time but I can assure you that this tool when enhanced properly will be a MAJOR money maker for all affiliates.

All in all ... great stuff!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Bryan,

Nice.....since we are non compete, i may call you for some coding work :-)

Awesome work dude !!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Very nice work I have one suggestion/reqeust.

I could make very good use of this if you could include a keyword option.

ABW Ambassador
    How many of these can you put on a page before it slows down the page load time?
    Cazzie

We can work on the keyword thing but we use a totally separate search company, Atomz, on our site. It would be much harder to implement. Also, when you bring search into play it would defeat our "best seller" feature. The best seller feature means that whatever group and brand you choose the results are displayed using our best sell rules, very handy for conversion.

The third problem is that by using search you come up with a specific product list, and the products come in and out of stock.

It would also have to run the search each time, and come up with a result. Very processor intensive.

If this sniplet thing is succesful and enough people are using it, we're going to have to get a separate server just to serve up sniplets. I hope we have that problem.

As to how many you can put on a page? We have it set up so it generates these every night and writes them to a flat file, so it should be very fast. You should be able to set up at least 5 without noticing any performance issues. But please let me know if you see a problem.

Excellent question, Cazzie.

Five sniplets per page with images and 20 products each would load slow for modem users.

Sniplets without images will load much faster and you could have 20 per page before modem users have a slow experience.

You'll want to test this further but if you limit it to five sniplets per page with images, you should be okay. Call it three per page to be totally safe.

Thanks,

Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cazzie:
    How many of these can you put on a page before it slows down the page load time?
    Cazzie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan Rhodes
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    BackcountryStore.com
    Phone: (435) 657 2468 ex. 116

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    Tweak
    ============
    The bottom table that says Backcountrystore.com does not auto expand like the regular table, I put in 770pixels and the bottom table stayed at 120 pixels. Not a big deal but turnkey is turnkey no?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you send me the URL where you tested this Sniplet? I haven't seen this in my testing and would love an example. Also, did you start the sniplet at 120 and then change it to 770 before generating the code?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Suggestion
    =============
    I did a product link test on Oakley, wanted sunglasses but got sandals included in the mix. When I did a specific category I only saw sunglass cases [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] If it is possible, I'd like to suggest a snippet code for all the keyword variations of BCS (eg sunglasses). I realize this takes time but I can assure you that this tool when enhanced properly will be a MAJOR money maker for all affiliates.

All in all ... great stuff!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great suggestion - being able to great a sniplet from keywords should be possible, but if I put any additional development time into this right now John will fire me. He really would.

For now, you'll want to use Product Groups and Brands to narrow down products. The Oakley sunglasses you wanted are in many different product groups including - Oakley Minutes, Oakley Eye Jackets, Oakley X Metal and more.

I'm working on a guide to getting the most out of the Sniplet Generator and our program in general.

Thanks for the feedback, Haiko.

Bryan Rhodes
    BackcountryStore.com

I really would, I'd can his ass in a New York minute.

Bryan sits next to one of our most crucial developers and curiously his projects always get done first and the engineer seems to always be sporting new Oakley sunglasses. Go figure.

Actually it was a Camelbak ski pack, but the result was the same.

Just playing the game the way you taught me John.

A huge thanks to our engineering team who did an excellent job developing the Sniplet Generator. They would have finished in half the time if John and I weren't bugging them constantly.

Bryan Rhodes
    BackcountryStore.com

wow, that's neat! wish all the merchants had something like this!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread