Trying to adapt Dynamic Template to different merchant
    OK, I'm probably just in over my head. Here's the deal:

Mr. Sal and others have suggested a good way to learn PHP is to take one of the dynamic template websites and customize/modify it.

I have a dynamic template site for one of the SAS merchants. About a year or so ago, when I was customizing it for one of my affiliate sites, I swapped a few emails with the guy who wrote the template. In that process, he told me I was welcome to use the template/site anyway I wished with any merchant I wanted to try.

So I'm trying to get the template site to work with one of the SAS merchant's feeds.

1. Got the connection to change from the off-site merchant's db to the db on my server OK.

2. Trying to get the product table in the original merchant's db to work with the table in my server's db. Seems to work.

3. When it gets to the specifics of recoding the PHP so that I have the info from my db replace the info from the original merchant's db -- not so good.

I'm having a terrible time getting the various categories/subcategories to work, and I can't get the "buy.php" file to create my buyurl's to the new merchant.

I really hesitate to post much more here, as I don't want to violate any board/forum policies about posting links to my affiliate sites, although I'm currently only using a half-hearted "test" version of the template in a folder on one of my sites.

Any suggestions? Comments?

If anyone wants to PM me, I would be happy to discuss in detail.

Any help for the fumbling Old Fart would be appreciated!

Gary the Writerguy

3. When it gets to the specifics of recoding the PHP so that I have the info from my db replace the info from the original merchant's db -- not so good.

I'm having a terrible time getting the various categories/subcategories to work, and I can't get the "buy.php" file to create my buyurl's to the new merchant.
    Gary,

You probably are having problems with the categories/subcategories because those templates are calling a datafeed format from the merchant site, but when we get the datafeed from SAS, you must remember that in SAS, we can't rely on the categories/subcategories from those datafeed. We have to see what Coustom1 to Coustom5 the merchant is using for the categories and subcategories.

Also, you don't have to use that "buy.php" file, use the buy URL link on your product.php file instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Gary,

You probably are having problems with the categories/subcategories because those templates are calling a datafeed format from the merchant site, but when we get the datafeed from SAS, you must remember that in SAS, we can't rely on the categories/subcategories from those datafeed. We have to see what Coustom1 to Coustom5 the merchant is using for the categories and subcategories.

Also, you don't have to use that "buy.php" file, use the buy URL link on your product.php file instead.
    Hi Sal,

Yes, you're right on that categories/subcategories idea. I've tried making the original categories/subcategories code match up with the Custom4 and Custom5 fields in the new merchant's datafeed, but I'm not understanding the basic PHP coding in the templates to get it all to work.

I think I might try to eliminate the "buy.php" in the products.php file and see what happens.

I should be able to get onto it later today and let you know what happens.

Gary the Writerguy

P.S. The template I'm trying to modify is the Fun to Collect dynamic template, trying to get it to work with the BentGear datafeed.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that information? I certainly don't want to violate any merchant or forum policies. HOWEVER -- I do have permission from the template's creator to modify it for another merchant if I wish.

I thought I should follow up on this for anyone reading the thread:

With huge amounts of help from our good friend here at ABW, Mr. Sal, I figured out how to get this template to do what I wanted.

I really hesitate to even say "I" here, because I really would never have gotten all this figured out without liberal doses of "babysitting" me through it by Mr. Sal.

Anyway, I think the resulting template files is pretty adaptable to any SAS datafeed without too much more tweaking. I hope to find out in the next few weeks!

Gary the Writerguy (HOORAY for Mr. Sal!)

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread