Offer Pending My Approval -- hmmm?
    CJ has a box to the right entitled "Quick Tasks."
    I see "Review 1 offer(s) pending your approval."

I often automatically accept those offers.

Today I see an offer I haven't accepted yet because I'm not confident that it's in my best interests.
    SHOP.COM Affiliate Program » View Links » View Products
    Sale: 3.00% - 5.00% USD
    I could get a higher commission with the individual merchants.

Should I approve or disapprove?
    Please state a reason.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "I could get a higher commission with the individual merchants."

Then why even put that merchant up? If it is a merchant you partner with, accept or don't accept, it'll go over automatically sooner or later.

Somehow Shop.com's individual product pics float to the top during a CJ product search.
    CJ products searches can at times (not always) span pages and pages and pages. I guess that's how I ended up with Shop.com one time: their results appeared first with lots of items. Another reason I might have decided to partner with them is that I wondered if they represented any merchants with whom I might not yet be affiliated.

Is Shop.com a resurrected Catalog City?

I'm not impressed with the current offer, is anyone else?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "Is Shop.com a resurrected Catalog City?"

Yep, they used to be Catalog City and changed their name to Shop.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Is Shop.com a resurrected Catalog City?"

Yep, they used to be Catalog City and changed their name to Shop.com.
    So if I don't click, what will happen?

I have some old bones to pick with Catalog City
    but I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The vast majority of the "Offers" I receive there are either for joined merchants telling me to agree to a change of terms, usually a lower commission rate but sometimes less return days, or merchants whose products I have absolutely no use for.

...If it is a merchant you partner with, accept or don't accept, it'll go over automatically sooner or later.
    I just checked and found 7 pending offers - five from merchants I have no interest in and which offers have been pending from five to seven months, one from a merchant whose products I would be interested in but which products I feature from other merchants at commission rates 80% to 120% higher than they offer, and the last one from a joined merchant changing their TOS to their benefit.

Sometimes I wonder why I ever bother looking at these great offers.

Rhia7, as Trust said, why even consider bothering with 3-5% Shop.com (yes, formerly CatalogCity), but the offer may never go away.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Rhia7, as Trust said, why even consider bothering with 3-5% Shop.com (yes, formerly CatalogCity), but the offer may never go away.
    To click or not to click -- that is the question.

The offer is there, what happens if I ignore it?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "I just checked and found 7 pending offers - five from merchants I have no interest in and which offers have been pending from five to seven months,"

Pending offers? I've never had that. I just went in and check the Help section in CJ:

"You can accept these updated offers immediately, or wait for them to automatically activate after the 7-day wait period. However, you must approve updated offers that include new or added Special Terms and Conditions in order to remain a member of that advertiser's program. If the designated wait period expires without your approval of the offer, the relationship automatically expires."

I never really pay attention to them and they seem to automatically update on their own as CJ has it written up.

if you don't want the offer, decline it. That way it goes away.

ABW Ambassador
    But if it's one of your merchants and you decline, you can get expired from the program right?

I never really pay attention to them and they seem to automatically update on their own as CJ has it written up.
    So in that case I can let this offer update automatically and then just ignore?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "You can accept these updated offers immediately, or wait for them to automatically activate after the 7-day wait period. However, you must approve updated offers that include new or added Special Terms and Conditions in order to remain a member of that advertiser's program. If the designated wait period expires without your approval of the offer, the relationship automatically expires."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    The offer is there, what happens if I ignore it?
    It may stay there forever. I have two still there from last August. (9 months - I miss-counted in my earlier post)

If the designated wait period expires without your approval of the offer, the relationship automatically expires."
    Doesn't seem to happen.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

But if it's one of your merchants and you decline, you can get expired from the program right?
    Anybody remember the Hues Corporation?
    "rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    Rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
    Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby"
    [lyrics]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

so don't just leave them there, accept or decline. I don't see why people would just leave it there. If it will automatically expire, and you will be removed from the program, and you don't care, decline. I don't understand why not do one or the other. You gain nothing by leaving it in limbo.

ABW Ambassador
    "If the designated wait period expires without your approval of the offer, the relationship automatically expires."

Doesn't seem to happen."

Yeah, I don't ever remember that happening either. Of course I don't ever recall offers sitting there for months also. Right now I have:

Review 8 offer(s) pending your approval.

I won't do anything, see what happens.

"You gain nothing by leaving it in limbo."

It goes over automatically in 7 days so says CJ and what I've seen. Of course people have just posted offers staying there for months.

I'm going to watch what happens with my 8 offers.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    if you don't want the offer, decline it. That way it goes away.
    I have this fear that if I did decline an offer I have no interst in today, tomorrow I'll get a great idea on promoting that merchant's product, and after rejecting them, having to go hat-in-hand and ask to get in and being declined, when if I did nothing, if I then ever did get that idea, either the offer would still be there, or at least I would not have previously rejected them.

ABW Ambassador
    I just checked the Date Offered column. Out of my 8 the earliest is:
    9-May-2007 , I have 4 that are 10-May-2007 and the other 3 are 11-May-2007.

So it's been going over automatically just fine for me without doing anything.

It goes over automatically in 7 days so says CJ and what I've seen. Of course people have just posted offers staying there for months.

I'm going to watch what happens with my 8 offers.
    I've often regarded the offers as little "do you remember us?" reminders and a quick click let's them know that "yeah, yeah" -- it's an easy way to express interest, even if the interest is a glimmer. I usually click yes automatically.
    This is the first time I am questioning this "method of contact."

I also share Affiliate Hound's idea that there just might be a reason why I may want to affiliate with them at a future point. Why burn bridges?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    For those that are posting months, are you sure it's not Pending Applications you're looking at? Now with that I have some from way back in 2004 and 2005 The Pending Offers are supposed to come and go in 7 days.

For those that are posting months, are you sure it's not Pending Applications you're looking at? Now with that I have some from way back in 2004 and 2005 The Pending Offers are supposed to come and go in 7 days.
    No - offers not applications.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I have this fear that if I did decline an offer I have no interst in today, tomorrow I'll get a great idea on promoting that merchant's product, and after rejecting them, having to go hat-in-hand and ask to get in and being declined, when if I did nothing, if I then ever did get that idea, either the offer would still be there, or at least I would not have previously rejected them.

TRUST ME, as an affiliate manager I know that it's highly unlikely that this'll happen!

Affiliate managers are only too happy when an affiliate comes up with an idea and says ' hey i want to do this' We may that even if you did not like an offer 3 months ago - you may like it today and would roll out the red carpet.

At least, that's the way I operate.

Jon

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    so don't just leave them there, accept or decline. I don't see why people would just leave it there. If it will automatically expire, and you will be removed from the program, and you don't care, decline. I don't understand why not do one or the other. You gain nothing by leaving it in limbo.
    I agree. When I login to CJ, one of the first things I notice, since it's right on the account manager and easy to spot, is if the number of pending offers is not zero. I then usually look at these offer(s) either right away or not more than a day later. The sad thing is, in my experience something like 90% of these pending offers are the merchant changing terms that make the program worse for us affiliates. Lower commission rate, fewer return days, fewer occurrences (ugh -- Jewelry Television comes to mind for lowering occurrences), special T&C, etc. Less common are offers of expanded programs which add new commissions on new product/service categories.

Another type of pending offer is when you've requested that the AM give you special terms like a higher commission percentage or higher lead amount, and the AM grants this to you. Obviously you want this to go into effect as soon as possible so go in and accept it!

When bonus structures change, this can get confusing because some merchants put the bonus/performance incentive information in the "Description" area, and some have it in the "Program Term" area at the bottom. So in the former case, I don't think the merchant would even have to extend a pending offer to change it. In my experience, bonus changes are ALWAYS for the worse. Just had two of my best merchants (one CJ, one SAS) drastically lower their bonuses within the last two months. At least they both warned me via email in advance.

Something that did not used to happen to me on CJ but has happened a few times lately is offers showing up in "pending offers" that are from merchants I'm not even already partnered with. It gets weird because they might look familiar to me, and I'll accept the offer and then realize I just joined a new program by doing this. I have a ton of CJ partners, some of which I don't actively promote, and sometimes I forget which I've joined and which I haven't. I think CJ should have two distinct categories: pending offers from existing partners and pending offers from other merchants ("unsolicited offers", one might say).

So to summarize: if you ignore pending offers and they roll over to become automatically accepted after 7 days, and you are actively promoting the merchant, you may not realize what you're about to lose (or less commonly, gain). So I would say it's pretty important to look at them right away. That way if you're disappointed about the changes, you have time to start looking at other similar merchants to take the place of this one before declining it and ending the relationship (if you decide to do that). You'll have a buffer of a few days to keep the better terms going until you switch out your links and such.

Most CJ merchants don't bother to email affiliates in advance to explain the pending offer. This is really obnoxious, but far too common. You have to look carefully at the terms ("Active" and "Pending Offer" sections at the bottom portion of Advertiser Detail) to see what's changing. This is another reason it's important to look at pending offers as quickly as possible.

One other thing. If as AffiliateHound mentioned you aren't sure if you want to decline an offer because you might get a bright idea later for them, you might as well accept the unsolicited pending offer if you have even a slight chance of promoting them, if their program terms and products and marketing methods look OK to you. That way they'll be on your list of advertisers and you won't forget them as easily. And being in a program but not doing anything with it is usually fine (except in rare cases of those nazi AM types who terminate affiliates for inactivity).

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    ...That way they'll be on your list of advertisers and you won't forget them as easily. And being in a program but not doing anything with it is usually fine (except in rare cases of those nazi AM types who terminate affiliates for inactivity).
    That's an important point.
    Let's face it, I affiliate with more networks than CJ, LS, & SAS but I tend to focus on those 3 for a variety of reasons.
    At any given network (either from the ones above or from any other) the application to apply to affiliate merchant programs usually consists of clicks -- in fact clicking can be fun (I can drink and click )

I like to have the merchant programs available to me when I decide I want to work with them and that is the reason why I apply in advance.
    The merchant might see me as inactive but there can be many reasons for that. Affiliates are not paid employees and do not receive benefits from any one merchant or network (not to my knowledge) so the merchant programs can either exist in "my pool" and I'll use them when I see fit or they can tick me off and get me angry if they threaten to terminate me for inactivity (it's not to their benefit if I get ticked off).

If I counted every affiliate program I belong to I think I'd be close to a thousand different individual programs -- and yes, I sometimes forget who I affiliate with not because I'm blonde but because there might be more important matters going on in my life or I might have a focus on something else or perhaps the network individual product search function isn't as good as that of another network.

I don't use feeds yet, at the moment I create pages with Dreamweaver with the individual product links (with pics) -- CJ has the best intra-network search for individual products

Update: Amazing! I just checked and the offer isn't there anymore -- I wonder what that means? Last night the offer was waiting for my click and now????

I wonder if someone from CJ or Shop.com read this thread?
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 12th, 2007 at 06:12 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Update: Amazing! I just checked and the offer isn't there anymore -- I wonder what that means? Last night the offer was waiting for my click and now????

I wonder if someone from CJ or Shop.com read this thread?
    Mine's gone. It popped in a few days ago then disappeared. Maybe it was an error and they fixed it. They aren't in my list so I wasn't auto-added. I was waiting to see what happened.
    Personally I wouldn't promote them anyway. 1 day cookie, only 5%, and a name too easy to remember. If I send someone there and they like that site, they might not come back to mine.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread