ABW Ambassador
    Thumbnail image sizes, the super and the sucky
    Humungous ones of 250x250 or 200x200 aren't thumbnails at all, they're product display type photo sizes. They bring page load time down to a crawl on thumbnail display type pages - and people do not have the patience to wait for pages to load that take 2 minutes. They'll just leave.

Little fuzzy 100x100's are an unappealing eyesore on thumbnail display type pages, to say the least. Ours and yours.

If those are the best you're willing to make an effort to provide for your supposed affiliate "partners," then are you really a partner, or an exploiter looking for branding with banners and text links?

What are good sizes? How about 125x125 or 150x150 that are CLEAR and easy to SEE so they are appealing and invite clicks? Is there anything about that that's unreasonable?

web,

This doesn't always work, but it probably works 75% of the time. What you can do is visit the merchant site and find their thumbnail/category page. Grab the URL to a thumbnail image by right clicking and compare it to the URL they offer in the datafeed. Sometimes it just takes a little search and replace and you can create a new thumbnail column. If you're lucky it's just a matter of changing "250x250" to "120x120".

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    If you're lucky it's just a matter of changing "250x250" to "120x120".
    Scott, that only affects how the browser displays the image on the user's screen. But while it may display the image as 120x120 in the browser because it's been instructed to, it's still a 250x250 image and will take the same load time to download it to the user's computer and display it in their browser.

It's only the browser display size that's affected, not the image size or the page download time. A page-load of those will still load as dog-slow as though they were all 250x250 uncompressed images.

I prefer the 150x150 sizes myself. I always ask permission first to make sure I can use the pictures from my merchants, then I copy and resize. As long as I don't put too many on one page, it works really good.

I prefer to use Fireworks for all my images as it automatically reduces the sizes of my .jpg files.

Grab the URL to a thumbnail image by right clicking and compare it to the URL they offer in the datafeed. Sometimes it just takes a little search and replace and you can create a new thumbnail column. If you're lucky it's just a matter of changing "250x250" to "120x120".
    Webworker, I think what Scott is referring to is that some merchants have a separate set of images that they use on their sites but don't include in the feed. So while they include a 250x250 image in the feed they may be using actual 120x120 images on their site.

The reference to "changing "250x250" to "120x120"" could be part of a directory name which would be visible in the url of the merchants image. It might be a good idea to ask the merchants permission before linking to these images.

It would be great if all merchants included both images in their feeds so that we could choose which one to use, however they think they know what we need.

Scott, correct me if I'm not hitting your point.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

What about odd sizes?

When we first started development we bought some really crappy store code that defaulted to 134x134 for thumbs, so I continued in that vein thinking there were a lot more important things to fix to get everything working. I personally look for 125x125 myself, but hadn't thought about the odd size affecting affiliates until I saw your post. Have I shot myself in the foot?

We also include larger images in the feed as well with the long dimension at 450. They aren't a uniform square, but should work for affiliates who wish to create images to their own specs and, like Scott suggests have another directory of 100x100 images with uniform naming convention, so the URL change he suggests would work. Now I wonder if we should do directories of 150x150 as well, but images are already the biggest time factor in adding new products.

Anyway, thanks for giving me something to think about...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Scott, that only affects how the browser displays the image on the user's screen. But while it may display the image as 120x120 in the browser because it's been instructed to, it's still a 250x250 image and will take the same load time to download it to the user's computer and display it in their browser.

It's only the browser display size that's affected, not the image size or the page download time. A page-load of those will still load as dog-slow as though they were all 250x250 uncompressed images.
    No, I don't mean change the width and height in your img src tag. What I mean is that usually the merchant carries smaller images on their server and it's up to you to find them and find out how the merchant names them. I'll use Walmart as an example here:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=202076

If you right click on a product image here you'll find that they're named like this:

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/34/57...30_150X150.jpg

But when you click on the product and view the product details page the image is named like this:

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/34/57...30_215X215.jpg

Now if Walmart only supplied the 215x215 image you can simply rename the URL to end with 150X150.jpg and now you've got the URL for a smaller version of the same image.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Webworker, I think what Scott is referring to is that some merchants have a separate set of images that they use on their sites but don't include in the feed. So while they include a 250x250 image in the feed they may be using actual 120x120 images on their site.

The reference to "changing "250x250" to "120x120"" could be part of a directory name which would be visible in the url of the merchants image. It might be a good idea to ask the merchants permission before linking to these images.

Scott, correct me if I'm not hitting your point.
    rematt, you are exactly right. Most merchants don't mind if you do this, but it is good to ask their permission. Personally, I don't do this anymore because I resize their images on the fly and cache the thumbnails on my server.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread