Question Merchant Checkouts with Special Offers
    Hi All,

I was doing a test purchase for a merchant that does not convert hardly at all for me compared to other merchants. The merchant is what I would consider a name brand merchant at CJ. During the checkout I sort of realized why people would close their browser and buy elsewhere. I know I wanted to. Before the order was completed I was sent to a page with a special offer/offers. This was one of those special offers like the "Free $25 gift card for Red Lobster" kind of offers. It bothered me because i was buying from a MERCHANT who was also trying to be an AFFILIATE.

I know when I shop I don't enjoy being bombarded with other offers, especially during checkout. I think that such things would drive the normal user away. I also think that it cheapens the merchant and makes them look fake. I know the first time I shopped at GoDaddy for a domain I freaked out because all of the junk they try to get you to buy. Now I just ignore it but it took a while. Considering most of my customers are first-time people to their site I feel sorry for them. I am even considering putting up a warning so they are not hit upside the head with it during checkout.

Anyone else encountered this?

this is what you call a leak.
    there are many threads on that and a good example that was brought up recently was batteries <dot> com.

Here is a thread that Michael Coley posted. That was resolved but I am sure that it does kill the conversion if that offer is popping up before the confirmation page
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Update: My sale tracked when clicking "No Thanks" but the No Thanks button wasn't easy to find.

It might be a good idea to talk to the merchant to get it removed. If not, you might want to mention something in test order or bump michael's old thread
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

why they don't put offers after check out ?

ABW Ambassador
    Who's the merchant?

Internet Cowboy
    It sounds to me like one of the IAC merchants. Either Shoebuy or Bagbuy. They have affiliate links all over their checkout process.

ABW Ambassador
    They do? I was just checking with Shoebuy and got to the checkout page where you enter your address and CC # and don't see anything there. Is it after that page?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread