ABW Ambassador
    Changin' Times for Online Lead Gen
    "An anti-spyware bill currently being debated in Congress (H.R. 964) could have immense ramifications on black-hat operators, as well the rest of the industry.

Advertisers are also getting wiser about what transpires on the Web on their behalf and are increasingly hammering companies they catch extending any unapproved offer. In the crosshairs are offers designed to trick users with something for "free" when they sign up for the product or service.

Online lead gen has been trying to self-regulate, with mixed results. Many of these black-hat practices violate the Direct Marketing Association's policies, yet there have been no repercussions."

FULL ARTICLE

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Thanks for the link. There are so many ways people can rip you off online, when it comes to PPC or lead generation. Here is the ultimate example of unfocussed advertising PPC:

From virginia tech massacre dot ws, this ad:

University Massacre
    Move your career forward with an accredited online degree!
    www.CourseAdvisor.com

Now, do you suppose CourseAdvisor.com might not appreciate an ad for "University Massacre" linking to their online study site?!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Thanks for the article.
    Wow...that is so wrong on so many levels
    What kind of recourse does CourseAdvisor.com have, you think?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highway61
    Thanks for the article.
    Wow...that is so wrong on so many levels
    What kind of recourse does CourseAdvisor.com have, you think?
    (Edit: Checked out that site and reread the URL...this one's definitely done on purpose.)

In THAT case, I think CA may have to complain to the PPC provider (Google, in this instance). Sending a C&D to the advertiser is another option. But if they complain to Google the ad will probably be yanked by G.

To prevent ACCIDENTAL showings under inappropriate terms (like those "Buy a Slave on Ebay" type ads):

The fix is simple when there's an accidental badness happening: Insist that bidders do a negative-match for the unwanted terms.

That kind of an ad usually comes about because of automation, not malice on the bidder's part. It's possible to set up a PPC listing in such a way that any keyphrase containing a bidded word will automatically show as the title. That tasteless bidder is probably hoping that most will assume their ad is just another instance of that...as I initially did.

CourseAdvisor probably hasn't even thought of the possibility of their ad showing there, because what they really offer is so removed from that query. They may need a heads-up.

Thanks, Leader. That's great info!
    (I feel like such a novice )
    But,
    Checked out that site and reread the URL...this one's definitely done on purpose.
    ...how did you know this was done on purpose from the URL?
    Thanks again

Wow. People looking to profit from a massacre. I'm a staunch capitalist, but...wow...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Angry Changin' Times for Online Lead Gen
    Thanks for the link.The black hatters will do anything to rip you off.But to make money on such a tragic useless loss of life,that is sick!!
    Jtsgoods

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    What if they are just bidding on the keyword "University" ???

I do not think they are doing anything malicious

We once were bidding on the keyword "pet insurance" even though we do not offer it. This was 3 years ago though, before we discovered negative keywords
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread