Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This is my site : http://www.shopsofnet.com

For last few days I've noticed these kind of logs in my statistics:
    WINDOWS/Profiles/Javi/Escritorio/Affiliate Marketing/ExerciseCity/Watersports/TMPil8w35mspn.htm

Than easily found this site: http://www.exercisecity.com

Apparently, this guy is copying my site compeletely, then changing a few colors and font maybe. The person is in Spain.

What can/should I do?

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I would definitely take a screenshot of his source code, which by the way still has a link to:

http://www.shopsofnet.com/index.html in it.

Blatent rip. Don't know what you should do. I'd like to know just in case as well.

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

You don’t even have to look at the source code. The copyright notice at the bottom of the second site still reads: “Copyright 2002 Shops of net – Online Stores . All rights reserved.”

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

Registrant:
    Javier Vitores inc.
    Ps alabarderos 8 4B
    Madrid, Madrid Madrid
    ES

However, his host is Canada:

Technical Contact:
    Hostmaster, Domain hostmaster@doteasy.com
    Suite 210 - 3602 Gilmore Way
    Burnaby, BC V5G 4W9
    CA
    (604) 434-4307
    Fax: (604) 608-6832

Doteasy's T&Cs are here - I couldn't find a specific email addy, but you could try abuse@doteasy.com or hostmaster@doteasy.com and inform them of the copyright violation.. but do it SOON!

Меня зовут Динаму

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Take screen shots now of the site if you haven't. They will want proof of the copyright infringement when you make a complaint. Be sure to screen shot your copyright tag at the bottom of the pages. And do every page of the site, not just the index page.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Jeeeze, that's real smart, leaving the Copyright statement at the bottom of a page that he copied, lololol.....

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry...... I'm just getting started and all my designs were terrible.. Really frustrating.

Your site really impressed me and I thought that maybe I could use it as a template. I wanted to change it enough to make it totaly diffrent but I guess it was a mistake all along.

The site should be down by now.

Please forgive this newbie.

Javi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

---
    "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more luck I have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I'm not going to say the "P" word......

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    That's the sort of thing you really need to ask permisison for before doing. If you are truly in need of a template, check out affiliatemakeover.com or a similar site: Their templates are very professional, and cost very little money.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

And now, the newest book in the unfolding Pranav saga.

Same song second verse.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Holly, schmolly! Javi,

Shame on you, and you're a ABW member. Don't you see the "Copyright" notice above everything else? "Newbie" is not an excuse for stealing.

It seems like you took down the main page, but still have other pages. I want to you take them all down, as well.

Then go to affiliatemakeover.com and ask for his help. Or, do something else, but nothing like this!

I'm just grateful he owned up,
    I was worried some of you guys might think it was one of us Canadians who have been here for a long time with many posts to our names.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    I started a private topic with you SamBay..

Javi

---
    "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more luck I have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Javi,
    If you can't afford a site template, or can't get one for whatever reason, do a search on google for "Free Website Templates".

Yes you will find lots of results with popups, and yes most will not be free, but keep digging.
    You will start finding a lot of good free templates or designs where you just have to link back to the templates owner.

It may take a little while, but it's faster than building one from scratch and it will save you a lot of grief.

Game on!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the advice Popdawg, more than $30 would be to much for me at the moment, college bills are killing me. I'll try that, I might get lucky [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Javi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---

SLAP THE PUNK! SLAP THE PUNK!

"Oh I apologize for ripping you off." WAH WAH WAH. Get a grip and a clue! I am new here too but I have been working hard to build my sites on my own learning what I can and then I see people like you trying to rip off someone's hard work then you have the gall to use the excuse of being a newbie. I bet you would have great success using that excuse with a judge after you've been caught stealing ramen and macaroni and cheese. BTW does your colleg offer ethics classes? Take one.

SpecialK

ABW Ambassador
    Calm down notsoSpecialK.. it's not like I copied the whole thing.. I just wanted to use it as I guide. It wasen't even halfway finished, that's why the sites still looked alike.

Isn't it funny how we demand justice for others, but expect mercy from God?
    Funny how small "our" sins seem, but how big "their" sins are

Anyway.. I've learned the lesson, and yes, I do have business ethics class, 2 hours a week.

Javi

---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it's not like I copied the whole thing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO---That's like saying you didn't steal everything that was in the house only what you could carry.

Sambay,

I am sorry for the copying ... ABW has a zero tolerance of any site copiers, please inform me of the results of your PMs with Javi and I will take appropriate actions.

=============

Javi,

A template can be bought for $10-$30, if your not design orientated, that is the best route. If you need help with the template we have many members who are willing to help, just ask a link or an ad goes a far way to stop (C) infringements.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I do have business ethics class, 2 hours a week <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Reflective learning? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Mad Doctor Gfufy

Personaly I don't think there is a lot wrong with using/stealing another persons template. So long as the finished product has been altered enough so that it bears no or at least very very little resemblance to the original site.

It would of course be better if the site sold a totaly different line of goods.

Just my

[edited to add] There is a big difference in copying a site (this is where you went wrong Javi, you should not have had the site available until you had finished the alterations) and using another sites templates to help yourself improve your sites appearance.

To copy another sites content is unforgiveable, but to use another sites templates I think is another matter if like I said above there have been enough changes that it is not recognisable against the original.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Javi's sig should changed from

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ---
    "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more luck I have." -- Thomas Jefferson <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

to

It's a whole lot easier to steal than work hard... I'm just not so lucky in doing it.

Oh Javi. You need to *ask* if you want to borrow something.

As for template design, the best thing is to design your own.. I guess its one of the basics of affiliate marketing, the ability to produce decent, clear site layout.

Taking inspiration from someone's design is acceptable (indeed it's usually essential), but copying is a no-no.

Here endeth the lesson.

Меня зовут Динаму

Lets not be too harsh on Javi here. I always like to give someone the benifit of the doubt. Given his age (assuming DOB is accurate) and proboble cultural differences this could have been a simple mistake in judgement. The fact that he was quick in his admission of the deed indicates to me that he values this forum highly and did not want to run afoul of this forum. I just think he wanted a site to play with to see what he could do with it. That being said, Javi, this is a very serious breach of ethics within the webmaster community. If it ever happens again all your credibility will be gone

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lets not be too harsh on Javi here. I always like to give someone the benifit of the doubt. Given his age (assuming DOB is accurate) and proboble cultural differences this could have been a simple mistake in judgement.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 21.. not sure what the DOB is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The fact that he was quick in his admission of the deed indicates to me that he values this forum highly and did not want to run afoul of this forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said in another thread, this forum has me impressed. Up to now I thought that the only way to make money online was with MLM programs.

I spend most of day reading this board, and learning. This by the way has being the most important lesson so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just think he wanted a site to play with to see what he could do with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea on how to start. I needed a template, a guide, and the ones I found online where either way to expensive for me or extremly ugly. Then I saw SamBay's site at the website review forum, and loved it. He really did a great job.

I thought that maybe I could change it enough to make it look differnt. Anyway I should have asked first.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That being said, Javi, this is a very serious breach of ethics within the webmaster community. If it ever happens again all your credibility will be gone<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was pointed out to a 16 page thread in this forum about site copying and I can see why you've all reacted like this.

Needless say, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN

Thanks for understanding T-Bone, I've read a lot of your posts in the few days I've been a member of AWB and you're a true inspiration.

Regards,
    Javi:)

---

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast