Can you believe this?
    Recently I had nearly half my transactions from a company reversed. I wrote to ask them why. Their reply:

Firstly please accept my apologies for this, unfortunately when we decline sales there is no area to put a reason. The reason the sales were declined is due to a call centre problem. It seems some of our staff have been clicking on various ad's from CJ advertisers. They have they gone through the transaction process with people over the phone, which due to the cookie on their machine has triggered a Commission Junction sale. I have put out an email across the company and spoken to IT to see if there is any way these cookies can be deleted before they can cause a similar situation.

I pay over a dollar each for those clicks!

Internet Cowboy
    That has happened to me before. If it is all legit, there is nothing wrong with reversing the transactions. You might ask them to confirm this information somehow.

I had an over $900 order reversed because a call center rep didn't clear her cookies after troubleshooting a problem that I was having with their links. It happens but it can be very disappointing when you see the orders reversed.

When they refer to "various ads" I hope they're not referring to PPC ads. If that's the case they need to at least reimburse you for the clicks and they need to STOP that practice immediately.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    That has happened to me before. If it is all legit, there is nothing wrong with reversing the transactions. You might ask them to confirm this information somehow.
    Well the reversals are annoying but what I am really concerned about is the sales people clicking my expensive ads. They don't need to do that to run a transaction.
    Last edited by xor0; May 14th, 2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: include quote

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    When they refer to "various ads" I hope they're not referring to PPC ads. If that's the case they need to at least reimburse you for the clicks and they need to STOP that practice immediately.
    Yes they are.

This might be a good time to remind them of G's, Y's & M's policies on click fraud. Continuously clicking an ad with no intention of buying is considered fraud regardless of whether they were clueless or not. It sounds like their staff needs better training and a better understanding of the affiliate market.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I'd think if a merchant did that, the least they could do is send a friendly email explaining it rather than just dropping transactions witout explanation.

if your just doing ppc that smells even fishier to me. take a look at the sales and see if these were repeat orders on the same cookie or not. If they went to a landing page of yours try to verify the ips of your traffic. Do your sales follow previous patterns or did you see a big jump this period?

I just do not understand these companies that do not know how to navigate thier own sites...the whole idea is backassward and suspect. Is it so hard for IT to block the cookies, or better yet have a policy of surfing only the merchants site so they are more familiar with finding products within their own site?

ABW Ambassador
    mrbshouse, read the first sentence in rematt's first post above. It's not an issue of not knowing how to navigate their own site. They set the cookie when they were troubleshooting an affiliate's link.

As to the various comments about PPC ads, I think you guys are making this into something that it's not.

The action here isn't suspect. The problem is that the same person who is troubleshooting is also placing orders on the same computer. Customer service shouldn't be looking into affiliate link issues. That's for the affiliate manager to handle.

Snowman,

this is what i read "It seems some of our staff have been clicking on various ad's from CJ advertisers. They have they gone through the transaction process with people over the phone" and I thought XorO was the one that brought this up??? I think Rematt was reliving almost the same issue with a different retailer.

I know that these things do happen and it's largely a training issue...but why would someone taking phone orders ever need to click on an affiliate link?

Yes mrbshouse you are right, nothing to do with troubleshooting. I got concerned when I read about 'some of our staff' clicking my ads. It turns out that all the reversed transactions came from one click, so its hopefully not a big problem, but still like you said their salespeople shouldn't be clicking on their affiliate's PPC ads at all.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread