Unhappy And This is Happening in the Age of eCommerce...
    Over the past 10 days I have been analyzing various merchant websites, and I am amazed that some, featuring a whole range of their inventory online (I mean, with quality website design, graphics, product pictures, etc) still do the following to you (when you hit that "Order Now" button) -- present you with a list of these guidelines [modified by me to, basically, break what they are saying step-by-step]:

1. Download our order form. Order form requires Adobe Acrobat. (read: 1.1. Download Adobe Acrobat; 1.2. Download and open our order form)

2. Print out our order form

3. Fill it out

4.1. Fax it to us
    or
    4.2. Scan and e-mail it to us

Whaaaaaaaat?! Haven't you heard of credit card processing online?!?!

G.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    1. Download our order form. Order form requires Adobe Acrobat. (read: 1.1. Download Adobe Acrobat; 1.2. Download and open our order form)

2. Print out our order form

3. Fill it out

4.1. Fax it to us
    or
    4.2. Scan and e-mail it to us

Whaaaaaaaat?! Haven't you heard of credit card processing online?!?!

G.
    Fax and email - maybe the two least secure ways to send sensitive information, other than tattooing your credit card number on your forehead.

Why do these merchants even bother to have websites? If they expect customers to go to this kind of trouble, and risk, to order their products, they should stick with mail-order catalogs.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Crazy, is this a live merchant website? Sometimes I think there are sites out there just kind of on their own, abandoned.

You know what's still annoying to me, something I think merchants still need to work on as far as the checkout process. Making you open up an account before you can checkout. Once someone decides to buy, get them thru the checkout process as quickly and easily as possible. Have the option there for them to open up an account but don't make it a requirement. The less hurdles the better.

ABW Ambassador
    An example, what not to do:

http://www.wweshop.com

Pick something, add it to your cart, click Checkout. You need to register to become a Member/create an account before you can buy something.

Here's the right way:

http://www.cooking.com

where if you have an account, you can sign in or checkout as a guest and they have the option at checkout:

Create a Cooking.com Account (Optional)

Not a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Crazy, is this a live merchant website?...
    Yes! Found something like 3 to 5 (out of about a hundred) like this today. Crazy stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Fax and email - maybe the two least secure ways to send sensitive information, other than tattooing your credit card number on your forehead.
    I like to take out the occasional billboard to publicly display this information. Additionally, I typically include my SSN, bank account numbers and PINs...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    That's too funny!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Internet Cowboy
    There are lots of B&M merchants out there who bought FrontPage and made their own web site years ago and have little more than a phone number to call to place an order.
    Amazingly enough, I know a guy who owns a killer Hobby Shop who does this. I have tried and tried to get him to have a real site and an affiliate program (see my many rants about the lack of a real Hobby merchant in the affiliate space). He basically told me he is getting more business than he can handle from what he already has. I tried to explain it to him that if he had a good site, all he would have to do is fill the orders and not have people on the phone all day, but to no avail.
    I'm here to tell you that some of these awful sites generate an amazing amount of sales. Match this with a small business that is doing well and owned by people who are happy where they are and you get a merchant who says that he doesn't need the headaches of hiring a webmaster or taking the time to do it themselves.
    Sad but true.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    still do the following to you (when you hit that "Order Now" button) -- present you with a list of these guidelines [modified by me to, basically, break what they are saying step-by-step]:
    I love seeing those in my categories!
    The less serious competition, the better
    They're even better than having nonsales c*ntent sites in the category, because unlike the c*ntenters, they usually don't do any SEO either. But even if they maintain their rank, from what I've seen, they might as well not be there (unless there's so darn many showing that they clog up the first few pages).

But when I'm looking to shop, I want to see a COMPLETE e-commerce site.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I'm here to tell you that some of these awful sites generate an amazing amount of sales.
    Those sales probably come from people who have done business with them offline, I would guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    You know what's still annoying to me, something I think merchants still need to work on as far as the checkout process. Making you open up an account before you can checkout.
    Oh, it'll be a happy day when ZenCart is reprogrammed to not need that!!!

But, what can I say...their price is right , and I'm not a programmer. And I can't see paying 100s for a cart software when an otherwise-fine one is available free!

But yeah, it'd be nice to dump that account-creation stuff.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Oh, it'll be a happy day when ZenCart is reprogrammed to not need that!!!

But, what can I say...their price is right , and I'm not a programmer. And I can't see paying 100s for a cart software when an otherwise-fine one is available free!

But yeah, it'd be nice to dump that account-creation stuff.
    This is the reason that some of us still have the "account-creation stuff" on our sites. I can not make those changes to a shopping cart myself, therefore I am forced to use the best that I can find off the shelf.

If someone has a quick-fix for the zencart, I am all ears.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

just needs his perspective broadened
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread