Trouble transitioning back to offline
    Ok, I know it's possible to transition back to the offline world, but I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble doing just that. Why? Because I've worked for myself for 3, going on 4, years.

My neighbor works for Philips Electronics, he's a pretty big guy in the company. He knows that I know computers & wireless/networking, websites, etc, and he wanted to hire me but they won't hire me because I've worked for myself for 3 years.

Ok, lets forget Philips. Home Depot and Lowes say the same thing.

Regardless of my previous work history prior to working for myself, which sucks, the same reason comes up every time. It's because I have no one from the last couple of years that can vouch for me as far as work history.

So for anyone who has done it, what do I do? At this point I have to, immediately.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Home Depot and Lowes say the same thing.
    WTF?! HD and Lowes?! That's crazy! LOL leave it to some joint like that to think they're SomeThing!

Fortunately I haven't had to do any empl*yent in years.

But before I got into this, I had several periods of years-long unemployment in between bouts of empl*yment, and managed to get back into Hell pretty much whenever I was sick of having no money, despite the long breaks. It never was a problem. Sometimes it took a few casts, but there's always some job that'll bite. (In more ways than one, LOL. But, if you're broke you're broke.)

Regardless of my previous work history prior to working for myself, which sucks,
    How do you think I got to use all the below? It wasn't by staying anywhere too long, that's for sure!

Actually I'm surprised you don't have a big bag o' tricks of your own, if your past w*rk history sucks. After all, you kept getting hired before, despite the suckage...

So for anyone who has done it, what do I do?
    I'll list it by hat color, white-hat first. Fair disclosure...I've used all of these at one j*b or another.

Whitish-hat ways:
    This one's aces for factories. But it works at some low-level retail j*bs, too.

Tell the prospective slave-driver that you were "experimenting with" an idea you had (say this with a slightly defeated look, but not TOO defeated, you don't want to look like an actual loser) but that it "wasn't for you" and that you found you "like the structure of a company." Keep on with that kind of talk for questions of why you're applying, or what you were doing during the time not "working," etc. But be prepared to switch over to Capable Mode when it comes to what you can do FOR THEM. And back.

In short, play like you have the peasant mindset. You know how they are, those dreamless working stiffs: they think that those with their own companies are some kind of Uberspecies. So your own company, that wasn't for you, you really just want a nice, structured job, without all those big-brained concerns that the Owner has to deal with (barfbarfBARF) (Of course, you have to use wording that doesn't give you away! And, NOT look like you're about to barf, which is the hardest part!)

Be prepared to answer a bunch of curiosity questions about the "idea" you were "trying." Just don't sound toooo knowledgeable about the nuts & bolts...let them see a "reason" it didn't work. Not necessarily the real reason. And definitely don't say that you'd like to try it again or go back to it! Or else they'll know that your eyes are already on the out-door, before you're even through the IN-door!

Okay the above hat has a little gray in it. But, you're admitting to being free for 3 years, so they're still getting to see the main point. It's just a bit...fertilized.

Really white hat:
    Just go to a company that doesn't care. They exist. Level down.

Just call Kelly Services or some other temp place, and give 'em your history as it is. They take anybody, at least for one gig. (And if they don't give you another, there's usually more temp agencies around every area [50 mi radius]. So to keep money coming in, you make the rounds.) At these places, you breathe, you're in. But warning--they take "anybody" as a hirer, too. Temp companies = The union of the unemployable, with those who cannot keep any employees. Also, the type of work tends to be of the more sucky types. But there's an occasional good assignment to be had. Good as in, the work doesn't suck too bad. The *pay,* on the other hand...well, enjoy your ramen.

Pizza delivery is another shoo-in. The money from tips is GOOD! For a job. And, it's not too lousy, for a job, if you don't overly mind driving down streets you never heard of and looking for invisible and near-invisible address markers. At least you're away from all the teenagers (who make the pizzas and may also run the place) and the general peasantry that infests workplaces. Only big caveat is that any kind of delivery'll put a lot of mileage on the car, and the accompanying wear-and-tear. A secondary caveat is to watch out for any place that brags that it was the "only place open" in a blizzard. You do NOT want to be a driver for the place that was too fool to close up during a megastorm...at least, not once the winter starts.

I think I point-blank told the pizza place I did a stint at, that I'd run out of money and that's why I was applying. Still, I was in like Flynn. Car + insurance + license + alive = in. Not being a teenager is a bonus for the company: Less liability insurance cost for them.

Black-hat (IOW--a truckload of fertilizer! Good for low-level jobs where the only "qualification" should be that you're willing to touch it!):

Part of me says not to mention it, but it's an option--and if your alternative is a space on Cardboard Box Avenue, and you find that Box to be the less-acceptable option...read on.

For this...You just weren't self-employed those last 3 years. Idea never crossed your mind. The "company" you were at isn't in the phone book/no record of it, because they a) Went out of business, or b) they're just a mom & pop, and they only use word-of-mouth to get business, or c) They moved to some other state.

A's best. Can't check with a place that no longer exists!

It's good to use a place really existed, and that you, at some point, did work in. That way you can give some details about its operation if asked. Just make sure that it didn't die *before* the date you claim your employment there ended!

B, you have to draft someone into playing the role, and C just has a fishy ring to it.

Depending on your age, "went back to school" can work. I used that a LOT. Especially if their application had so many blanks that I had multiple gaps to cover! It helps to keep "student" status active at the local college, so you can look right at the interviewer and say, "yes, I am/was a student at [college name]." It doesn't take much to stay on the rolls, at least here.

Good luck, and hope you get enough $$$ online to get your freedom back ASAP!
    Last edited by Leader; May 15th, 2007 at 05:45 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    "they won't hire me because I've worked for myself for 3 years."

I would hire somebody like that. Not many people can do that. I see that as a positive not a negative. That's a go-getter type of mentality.

"My neighbor works for Philips Electronics, he's a pretty big guy in the company.:

I figure that would do it? Maybe get something from your "partners" - merchants or other people in this industry you've worked with saying good stuff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I would hire somebody like that. Not many people can do that. I see that as a positive not a negative. That's a go-getter type of mentality.
    Unfortunately, not too many companies want to hire people who they know have "let me OUT of here" playing on an endless loop in their heads...often with "I could do this a whole lot better" as a background track.

ABW Ambassador
    True Shawn ever think of becoming an affiliate manager?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Great advice from Leader!

I agree w/ the others too who said that they see self employment to be a plus. I think it's just a matter of finding a company that is the right fit for what you have to offer, and you need to be the right fit for their co. culture and management as well. You won't ace every interview unfortunately - because a lot of it boils down to chemistry really.

But you should be able to demonstrate how what you learned working for self can be applied to the business you're interviewing to work for, and I agree too that talking about the fact that you were just trying the self employed route and found you prefer the team dynamic of a company 9-5 job better than always working independantly for the most part, and the structure provided by a company etc.

Don't get discouraged most of all - remember you will likely need to do a few interviews before the process begins to feel comfortable and natural again for the most part, just sell yourself. There are companies out there who hire ex consultants - when I was employed I saw it happen from time to time. Usually they get hired for management positions. Hopefully that's what you're looking for.

Good luck and keep your chin up - if you feel you must go back to W.O.R.K. I am sure you will find something soon!

Best regards,

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    P.S. for the record, when I saw ex consultants or other self employed folks hired, usually it was for a small to med. sized business, not the huge franchise big box brands like Home Depot (though I am sure that there ARE large corps who would hire someone who used to be self employed - just a matter of "fit" again).

Maybe try getting in w/ the small or med. size businesses first? While the pay may be less than working for a huge conglomerate of a corporation, it will be something you can do for a year or two just to get your feet wet again on the "employed" side of things and then look for something better later if you feel the need.

A few thoughts...

Do you have any vendors, Affiliate Managers, reps that you work really well with and have built a relationship that is such that you could ask to list them as references? Someone that knows that you are always quick to respond to requests, work to increase production for their program, communicate effectively, etc.?

Also, I don't know if you are just looking for "tech" jobs, but if not, then there are a lot of ad agencies and/or companies that have online marketing divisions, SEO initiatives, affiliate programs, etc. that I'm sure would love to have someone come in that understands the industry. Most of the time they take in people that understand marketing and then have to educate them about online and all of its ins and outs. You would be a gem in their eyes.

Keep looking and don't let the turkeys get you down.

Sheri

Do you live near a city with a Robert Half type agency for temps? They handle a lot of computer things and can offer you testing to prove what you know. My son had his own company for 3 years - he started it and got it profitable before leaving Corporate America and then quit his day job to relocate back to the Midwest. He worked only for himself for the next 2 years and had the same problem you're having.

He answered an ad and wound up at Robert Half and they needed only to prove that he knew what he said he knew. A few days of computer testing off and on and he is working in his field on a contract to perm basis.

I'm pretty sure they are nationwide.

Supply them with your tax returns.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Seems like there's always demand for entry level construction labor - humping drywall, demolition, roofing, etc. Sucky work, but it pays.

If you go the blue colar temp agency route, remember the first few jobs they send you on will suck. They use them to test if you'll actually show up and if you're willing to do whatever job they find you. Once those are done, you start getting longer, better gigs.

Lastly, whatever your reasons are, I'm sorry. It can't feel good having to go back to work...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Yeah, the Home Depot and Lowes thing threw me. Philips I can understand. When I say big guy in the company, he's not like an exec or anything, but as far as running around the country setting up large wireless networks and other computer related things for businesses and colleges, he's one of thier main guys. But I definitely prefer to be honest with whoever is going to hire me.

Trust, I've often thought about it. But I liken it to having an employee that doesn't perform well on the job, and then promoting them as the manager of the business. While I have not quite succeeded in the field, I do know quite a bit about it.

I'm not sure of what kind of temp agencies exist here, most of the ones I know of are/were related to manual labor jobs (construction-type jobs), which is what I worked since I was 16 and is why I eventually started working for myself.

I'm really only looking for something part time to supplement the little bit of money I still do make online. That way I can pay my rent and bills, which I had to borrow rent money for this month, and may have to for next month. I'm fixing to go try Sears Essentials, I have a friend that works there and she works part time and works roughly the hours I'm looking for.

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust, I've often thought about it. But I liken it to having an employee that doesn't perform well on the job, and then promoting them as the manager of the business. While I have not quite succeeded in the field, I do know quite a bit about it."

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I'm sure some have been successful affiliates, some dabbled in it, some not much at all but learned how to become good affiliate managers. I think if it is something you might want to do, that you could do it. Take Andy's Affiliate Manager Certification Seminar, I think there was some kind of offer for you for that, if I remember correctly? You'd still be running your own business, involved in this industry. And then you can still work on affiliate sites on the side like a lot of them do.

No there was no offer for that. That was for AS in Miami.

I'd have to find an abandoned program in need of desparate help, so if I dont succeed there either, then nothings been lost. I know how to be a demanding affiliate, lol, so I know what affiliates want. I'd just have to be put in a good position to give it to them.

I'd have to find an abandoned program in need of desparate help
    Shawn, don't sell yourself short. In the time that you've been an affiliate I'm sure that you've picked up skills that would be of value to any merchant. I've followed a number of your posts since I've been a member of ABW and I know that you are very technically adept. And you certainly understand how hard it is to succeed as an affiliate.

You've developed relationships here at ABW with some of the top affiliates that would help your recruiting efforts as an AM. And it's obvious from a lot of these posts that you are well liked.

Don't set yourself up to fail before you even try. I think you would make a great AM if you gave it a fair chance. By all means take the Affiliate Manager Certification Seminar, especially if you have a free offer to do so.

What do you have to lose?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Shawn,

Are there any companies in the Mobile area that are looking for programmers on a part time basis?

From some of your past posts, it seems that you have some useful programming / networking skills. One idea you might try.....

If you have some local techy schools, (like Devry, ITT etc) you might check their bulletin boards and / or web sites for part time positions in your field of knowledge. Rather than Lowes or HD, if you can find something part time in your field, you'd obviously enjoy it more. You can also run an ad in your daily paper advertising programming services? I wish you the best and I hope you can fill your part time needs with a job that utilizes your tech skills.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread