Internet Cowboy
    Marketing Faux Pas?
    So...I am waiting on the cable guy so I am not at my desk. I flip on the TV and see The Price is Right is on so I watch it for a minute.
    A contestant is playing a game where she has to guess if the price for each of the four products is higher or lower than the stated price, on the way to the big prize. We all know that this show is all about pimping consumer products when they describe the small prizes they win on the way to the big prize.
    The copy the announcer read for each of the four products did not include a brand name. Furthermore, anyone here could have come up with a better quick presentation. On the fourth product, it was a cordless, self-cleaning men's shaver. The copy he read was something to the effect of "This men's cordless, self-cleaning razor comes complete with charging stand." That's it! The contestant asked what brand it was and the announcer said "It's not in the copy Bob".
    I say this was a serious screw up somewhere. Without plugging the brand name and model name, what use is advertising in such a venue? Maybe the ad was bought by The Alliance for the Proliferation of Cordless Self-Cleaning Shavers?

It's good to see even those with endless pockets have room for improvement.

It's probably less embarrassing on their part to say "it's not in the copy" than to guess and call it Remington when it's really Norelco. Still, they should have that info readily available. Otherwise, the advertiser's audience ends up being just the people who win the products rather than the entire viewing audience. I agree, big faux pas.

I can tell you that just about any of the furniture on that show is provided by Ashley. Ashley = cheap. Hubby has worked for rent-to-own and furniture chains before and their repair shops were overflowing with Ashley furniture that had fallen apart. We also had Ashley furniture when we were first married. I couldn't wait til we could afford something better and get rid of it!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    "It's not in the copy, Bob." Oh, love it! Wonder if they got a make-good?

Internet Cowboy
    I had two Ashley bedroom towers delivered once, kept them for a day or two and had the store come get them. They were indeed junk. They were just what we needed, but the doors didn't fit right, drawers didn't slide easily and general fit and finish were poor.

I think the announcer guy on The Price is Right only reads what is given to him by the advertiser. There are different time constraints for different slots, so the length of the copy varies from time to time, but he read all he was given.

Many years ago a friend was an intern at The Price is Right. The products not named are not provided by the merchant but are purchased by the show... hence no free advertising

The products named are provided by the merchant... Jacuzzi etc
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Internet Cowboy
    Interesting.
    I am amazed that The Price is Right can't get Braun or Norelco to give them a $110 shaver in return for an ad. I will buy them a case of them if they mention my site just once

Thanks for the info.

Affiliate Manager
    Interesting indeed... I wonder how much the show charges for a product placement.

That's what i call humor.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread