ABW Ambassador
    Once More - Deactivated Advertisers Status
    Ok, over the years there have been all kinds of different explanations and I can't find anything in the CJ help files that addresses this directly. So maybe a merchant or somebody know knows can explain it clearly.

When you run Performance Reports and then Deactivated Advertisers, you have a list of Deactivated Advertisers and in the right column you have Status.

In mine I see either Declined Application, Active, Advertiser Expired.

Now last time this was talked about people said if it says Active, you were Active in the program when they were Deactivated from CJ. Well, I'm not seeing that as the case for everything. Example:

The Ferret Store » View Links 1-May-2007 Advertiser Expired
    Had links up generating clicks and still have some up now that I need to remove. So I was active when they Deactivated.

Global Gallery » View Links 26-Apr-2007 Active
    Had links up and Active when they Deactivated.

PetCareCentral.com » View Links 19-Apr-2007 Advertiser Expired

So with all those I was active when they Deactivated but the Status is different.

Then there was another way people were looking at it with Advertiser Expired meaning they were gone for good. And Active meaning not good for good, can come back.

I'm seeing more of that.

So?

I tried to figure out the status column when sober, when not sober, when chemically enhanced, by reading threads, by emailing CJ, and I was even contemplating climbing a very high mountain in Tibet to seek the answer.

If the merchant appears on the left hand side of the report it means they were deactivated sometime during my lifetime. It's my red flag to replace the links with something else. I think I finally came to the conclusion to just replace the links and move on.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I think I finally came to the conclusion to just replace the links and move on.
    The speed with which you replace the links is directly proportional to the speed with which the merchant is re-activated. Re-activation occurs c. 1.5 hours after link removal, whether you replace the links immediately, or six weeks later.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    It is funny that I had the same three advertisers deactivated the same day as Trust had on the example.

The status column has been confused and bothered me for long time. Now I just simply ignore it.

Another thing that annoying me is the "deactivate" and "re-activate" issue. There are always a few merchants been "deactivated" and "re-activated" at the beginning of the months. You don't know who will come back next day or two. If you don't want to waste time replace links back and forth, then you have to let the dead links stay for a couple of day and then replace the gone for good links.

ABW Ambassador
    The only thing I'm sure of and have seen thru the years that if you see:

Advertiser Expired

they are gone for good. Either closing down their affiliate program all together or moving on to another network.

I've seen merchants with Active listed in the status, come back.

I will keep a closer eye on that to see if that is in fact the case.

Or others here on the Advisory Panel can just ask CJ for a once and for all clear understanding of it all.

I brought this up because I was taking a look at some Halloween sections of mine and noticed The Candy Depot on the Deactivated Merchant list with Active. Now normally when I see that, I remove them or just from the site and save the links. But I do pretty good with them during Halloween.

ABW Ambassador
    I have also been very confused by this system, it really is one of CJ's most useless features if you can call it that but it could be made to work very easily if someone at CJ got off there lazy backside and spent 2 hours fixing such an important thing. Also, why is there two completely different pages to see deactivated advertisers? From the page where you approve offers you can select deactivated advertisers and from what I gather the ones listed there are the merchants who are still active on CJ but no longer want you to be an affiliate. Now if you go to the reports, select performance & then "access the old reports" etc then you also find a page with merchants not even listed on the other deactivated page and these are like Trust has shown ones who are closing down th program or moving or just have not paid there account. this is really such bad design and a terrible system but at least it's better than the sas temporally off line thing. they should have one page and not two confusing pages that have to be accessed by following about 2-4 links, bad navigation design.

So I just completely destroy any links from these merchants that get deactivated even if they come back online as I don't have time for fiddling around trying to work out this crap.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    The entire "Deactivated Advertisers" report is quite the oxymoron.

How can an advertiser be listed in the deactivated advertisers report and still have an "Active" status? Does "Active" mean they are active in the deactivated report sense or does "Active" mean they are not deactivated and you can still promote them.

Good grief. The report writer must have done work for the gov.

"Active" (or the variety of other status displayed) just shows what your status with the merchant was before they were deactivated by CJ.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Check my first example, not quite, maybe, who knows. A merchant told me something different when we talked about this years ago and what I'm seeing:

"Then there was another way people were looking at it with Advertiser Expired meaning they were gone for good. And Active meaning not good for good, can come back.

I'm seeing more of that."

Michael, since you're on the Publisher Advisory Board, next time there is a meeting/talk is there anyway you can just get a final answer on this?

Just logged in to see some current ones, the ones I see as Advertiser Expired I bet are gone for good. Some listed as Active in that list will come back, some won't. For example, BuyCostumes, Babycenter, Dreamtime Baby were all on that list as Active and came back. Can't think of one listed as Advertisder Expired that came back. I see RedWagons and Graveyard Mall on the Deactivated Advertisers merchants list (went on that list yesterday 7-Aug-2007) with Active next to them. They've been at CJ for over 5 years, I bet both come back off that list and actually Active again.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I see RedWagons and Graveyard Mall on the Deactivated Advertisers merchants list (went on that list yesterday 7-Aug-2007) with Active next to them. They've been at CJ for over 5 years, I bet both come back off that list and actually Active again.
    I always thought that "Deactivated" with "active" status means the merchant deactivated me but they still active to others

I even wrote an email to RedWagons this morning asking why they deactivated me. I thought they should be happy because I did send some sales to them once in a while.

Now, it seems like it is not me got "deactivated", it is CJ deactivated RedWagons?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Just as an aside, I noticed that eBay Spain deactivated me a few days back.

Interesting, I thought. Pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong, so I sent an email asking what the problem is.

Turns out they've blown their budget and have switched the aff program off. Too bad if you just built out a website around them, I guess!

Too bad, also that the CJ system has no way of allowing ht emerchant to communicate a decent message to the affiliate along with the deactivation!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I see RedWagons and Graveyard Mall on the Deactivated Advertisers merchants list (went on that list yesterday 7-Aug-2007) with Active next to them. They've been at CJ for over 5 years, I bet both come back off that list and actually Active again.
    And guess what, they both are now off that list and Active again. So when you run a Run Reports » Deactivated Advertisers report

under Status when you see:

Advertiser Expired - they are gone for good, you can pull links.

Active - they can come back as the recent examples above show with BuyCostumes, Babycenter, Dreamtime Baby, Red Wagons, Graveyard Mall

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    "Active" (or the variety of other status displayed) just shows what your status with the merchant was before they were deactivated by CJ.
    I agree with MichaelColey. On Invalid Links Generating Traffic, it mentions as Affiliation Status. Will they came back? That’s another question.
    For Advertiser Expired, publisher was terminated or didn’t accept their pending offer (if they changed their terms) before they were deactivated.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

ABW Ambassador
    I gave examples above how that wasn't the case, first post. I'll copy and paste, I was active with all of these, they were all getting traffic:

The Ferret Store » View Links 1-May-2007 Advertiser Expired
    Had links up generating clicks and still have some up now that I need to remove. So I was active when they Deactivated.

Global Gallery » View Links 26-Apr-2007 Active

PetCareCentral.com » View Links 19-Apr-2007 Advertiser Expired

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread