ABW Ambassador
    If You're Using DreamHost
    Not sure if it's only that site or not?

DreamHost Blocks Googlebot on Client Sites

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/d...nt-sites/4932/
    Last edited by Trust; May 17th, 2007 at 04:37 PM.

Wow, I wonder if any of the affected sites would have a case against Dreamhost for sabotaging their business. This is horrible.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

http and a telephoto
    It's not just Dreamhost, any shared server will do the same thing. Or just shut you down without warning. Many of my friends use dynamic cgi software that if it gets hit by the Alexa bot or the Google bot inappropriately, it has crashed their servers and caused their accounts to be suspended.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Loren Baker say's: I do not think I have heard of a more ridiculous approach by a web server company to ‘help’ its customers by manually altering their .htaccess file to block Google. Furthermore, to ask their customers to block other search bots is completely off the hook.
    A agree with Loren 100%!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

On another forum that I frequent there are "Please help! Dreamhost has F-ed me over" threads appearing on an almost daily basis.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

what they never heard of using "delay" to slow the bot down...what morons "Yeah we built our sites for personal use who needs google" Shared you get what you pay for.

New Name "Nightmare host"

Not that I agree, but it seems like a possibly smart decision. The 10% of sites or so they'll lose probably were the ones using 90% of the bandwidth/processing. By them leaving they'll keep all those teeny sites who don't get much traffic and be able to stick 10x as many sites on each server.
    What they should do is offer higher-end hosting for those who require googlebot.

The letter looks to me like it was one server admin's response to one site overloading the server. I didn't get any impression that this was some kind of global policy for DH. Nor does the letter rule out the site owner from correcting the overload problem in some other way, including "delay". On the contrary, the admin even explained what he did and how he did it, practically inviting the customer to find appropriate corrective action to take for a longer-term fix.

Other shared hosts would simply shut the site down. I actually think DH handled this one okay; the only thing that might have been nicer, if the server overload could handle the delayed response, would be to write a warning email first. But if that wasn't practical, this seems to me - imho - a pretty measured response.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

it seems like a possibly smart decision. The 10% of sites or so they'll lose
    What could be smart about alienating your *successful* clients?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    *successful* clients
    There are cases where the bot can be sent into an infinite loop and that has nothing to do with being successful or not.

webworker,

to my horror i tripped that loop once the bot went through the first set of pages, then the second, third and 4th before I was able to kill it, clean my pants and get back to work. de bot kept adding a / to the folder name.

Dreamhost sells a 152 GB storage and 1.56 TB transfer program...i doubt very much that anyone is going to max that...even these guys If they sold it they should provide it.......why do they care if it is google or anyone else.

#5 in TOS DreamHost Web Hosting will exercise no control whatsoever over the content of the information passing through the network.

By #9 they were saying they would reject stuff that was not "web ready"

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread