Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2007
    Posts
    4
    Angry Linkshare $14,993 commission in 1 Day
    It's a true story..

    Starts with email from LinkShare:

    "..Our record shows that you have sudden increase of conversions/orders generated through your account. We need to better understand your business model, specifically how and where you distribute the merchant links. Please also provide example of keywords and screenshots for Orbitz and Cingular. In light of these inquiries, we must ask you to respond to us with a description of your activities..."

    I log into my account and sure enough 3 days ago I see $14,993.00 posted as COMMISSIONs in my account in ONE!!! day.. My normal commission is around $200 per day. WTF?

    I respond to LinkShare:
    I included screen shots with unexplained commission jump (just a commission)
    I did not have any jump in traffic. And pointed out that the problem is with their system.

    Sure enough commission gets reversed in less then 1 hour after my email.

    They Respond back to me:
    " Thank you for your email. We had a problem with our reports and it was
    resolved yesterday. However, you still did not provide us information on how
    you are driving traffics. You mentioned that you work
    with search engines marketer, so please provide list of search engines you are
    working with. Most of all, please provide example of keywords and screenshots ..."

    So I sent them some (not all my keywords, why would I want to do that?) keywords. With explanation that it's not my fault. I asked for a reason
    why do they need more information from me? Did I break a law? What is going on? I hear nothing back for about 10 days.

    Today I have received this:

    "We regretfully inform you that we are terminating your LinkShare
    Account effective Friday, May 25, 2007. We previously notified you that you
    were engaged in certain activities that violate the terms of your
    Affiliate Membership Agreement and our Network policies and procedures, and
    asked you to provide certain information to us about your business model. Your response to our request is unsatisfactory, and we are therefore terminating your account."

    Not a bad deal, after 2 years being with LinkShare.
    Not a single explanation, reason or simple response
    on what the heck was going on? Nothing!
    Thank you LinkShare!!!

    I have all screenshots and documentation regarding this incident. If you still think you are being treated fairly by LinkShare, think again.

    Still scratching my head in shock ...
    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    We previously notified you that you
    were engaged in certain activities that violate the terms of your
    Affiliate Membership Agreement and our Network policies and procedures
    You didn't include that part. Exactly what did they say you were violating?

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2007
    Posts
    4
    That's the problem. That was all. CERTAIN ACTIVITIES.
    I buy traffic from a third party (black hat seo if you will) but they never mention anything besides "certain activities".

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    4.5 Distribution of Qualifying Links. If You currently distribute, or plan to distribute, qualifying links on, to or through Sites other than those owned or operated by You and registered with LinkShare, You may do so (or continue to do so) until September 30, 2005 (or such later date as LinkShare may designate). After such date, You will be required to obtain LinkShare's approval to continue to do so. Such approval may be conditioned upon Your agreement to additional terms and conditions and additional disclosures in respect of Your distribution and/or use of such qualifying links.
    http://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/a...l?aa_locale=us

  5. #5
    Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2006
    Posts
    652
    Besides keywords, what else did you send them as documentation? Did any of it indicate the fact that you get traffic from this "black hat seo" third party? By phrasing it that way, you imply that the third party is engaging in at least unethical (if not illegal) activity to obtain its traffic. Let's see what it might be... email spam? BHOs that collect information without the users' consent? Bundled spyware/adware, installed without notification? Black hat SEO, you say? Like cloaking so that the SE spiders see one thing and visitors see another? I know that Google has rules against this, and the other major SEs may as well.

    I have no idea what exactly this third party does, but you do, and you may want to examine LinkShare's decision by taking a look at exactly how your traffic is obtained, and if it violates any of LS's terms & conditions. Yes, they should tell you more information about why they canned you, but you might be able to figure it out by yourself with a bit of research.

    I would say that partnering with third parties engaged in any kind of suspect activities is very simply: A Bad Idea.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2007
    Posts
    4
    I guess you're missing the point of the POST here. The reason I received an email in a first place was because they INCORRECTLY posted $14,993 in my account. It is impossible to make that much out of 900 clicks that came in that day.
    So sure enough they email me.

    I responded with PROOF of their incompetence (screenshots and descriptioin ot their problems in THEIR system)

    It really has nothing to do with what Linkshare terms state. I have been working for 2 years without any problems.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    13
    Sign up with SAS would be my only suggestion.

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    It clearly has everything to do with what Linkshare's terms state. Linkshare doesn't just randomly terminate affiliates. In fact, I don't ever recall anyone posting here that Linkshare terminated them from the network. Apparently you've been flying below their radar and whatever happened to cause the erroneous high commission was the red flag that caused them to investigate you. Merchants may have played a part in this as well.

    You've acknowledged black hat tactics and you were finally caught. I'm curious, do you even have a website with affiliate links?

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    4,423
    Please don't sign up SAS.

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Please don't sign up SAS.
    You read my mind.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Please don't sign up SAS.
    I'll third the motion. It's a white hat network and we like it that way.

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2007
    Posts
    4
    He he, I like the attitude. To answer the question above, yes, I do own a website with affiliate links. More than a 1000 of them. That has nothing to do with the fact that LinkShare accountability and innocent until proven guilty ideas do not exist.

    If I was charged or at least was told what did I do wrong or what was going on with their reporting and reversal (and after I pointed OUT to THEM) then this post would not exist.

    Have fun people. I have some work to do
    So much traffic to catch...

  13. #13
    Full Member ske9963's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    369
    I have to agree that LS should at least give you a better explaination or at least ask for more info before terminating you.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

  14. #14
    .
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,973
    Your complaint seems to be that LinkShare only "noticed you" because of their own reporting error. My sympathy here is with LinkShare's merchants, not you, because if LinkShare waits for an "extraordinary transaction" before scrutinizing an affiliate's traffic sources, it's the merchants who probably suffer most. (Keep in mind, I despise LinkShare, and won't do business with them -- yet I don't dispute their right to enforce their policies and rules.)

    Your secondary complaint is that LinkShare didn't provide you with a detailed explanation of why they terminated your account. This is an area where I'd normally side with the affiliate, and insist on more specific information about what you were doing that violated their rules. However, here you've admitted to having a relationship where you were buying traffic from a "black hat" third-party, which appears to violate LinkShare's policies (according to the rules posted in this thread). You clearly are just looking for information about how LinkShare detects cheating, so you can resume your unethical activities (indeed, after reading your posts here, it seems very likely that you already have multiple LinkShare accounts, and your goal is probably to avoid having your other accounts detected, as well as identifying ways that other networks might detect your unethical activities).

    In this case, if LinkShare provides you with more information, the only likely outcome is that you (or others) will use this information to figure out ways to break LinkShare's rules without getting caught. As much as I despise LinkShare, in this situation I absolutely defend their refusal to "prove" or "justify" their decision to terminate your relationship.

    Given the complaints here on ABW about how LinkShare and Commission Junction both fail to enforce their own rules, and allow parasites and other unethical affiliates (as well as unethical or insolvent merchants), it's hard to argue that they are over-zealous in their enforcement of their rules. Their failure to vigorously enforce their rules against others is NOT a reason why they should not enforce their rules against you.

    In other words, it may be "unfair" that they enforced their rules against you but not many others, and yet I don't see any reason to step up and defend your (admittedly) unethical practices.

    I will join other merchants and affiliates in discouraging you from joining ShareASale, which isn't perfect but certainly is the most vigorous and consistent of the "affiliate networks" in enforcing rules against parasites and other "black hat" techniques.

  15. #15
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare4Real
    They Respond back to me:
    " Thank you for your email. We had a problem with our reports and it was
    resolved yesterday. However, you still did not provide us information on how
    you are driving traffics. You mentioned that you work
    with search engines marketer, so please provide list of search engines you are
    working with. Most of all, please provide example of keywords and screenshots ..."
    These can't be direct quotes from LinkShare...

    you still did not provide us information on how you are driving traffics.

    You mentioned that you work with search engines marketer

    Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare4Real
    Did I break a law?
    Yep, the law of plausibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare4Real
    Not a bad deal, after 2 years being with LinkShare.
    That's the real story here - that you got away with it for 2 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare4Real
    Any ideas?
    Find another line of work.

    I have my complaints about LinkShare, but being too agressive at firing scumbags certainly ain't one of them. Chalk one tick in the 'good moves' column for LS.

  16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Linkshare Down All Day 10/18
    By Snowman in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
  2. 7 day epc vs 7 day commission??
    By easylife in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
  3. Tystoybox.com - One More Day On Linkshare!
    By Jon Nunez in forum AffiliateManager.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •