Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    When will you add Video to your sites?
    Looks like video is here to stay. I don't know about you guys but I'm going to make an effort to support video in all ways possible. Now that Google has given video a much more prominent place in their SERPs I'm surprised there aren't more affiliates scrambling to jump aboard the video bandwagon. When do you hope to begin displaying videos on your sites?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

This is also a call to merchants for video marketing materials. I'd love to see some demo videos, commercials, testimonials, etc. Get a production team together and produce short videos we can run on our sites. We can tie it all up with affiliate links and experment with all sorts of fun things. Just look at will it blend. Now if only they had an affiliate program.. Those of you with commercials running on TV, how about we get web versions of these commercials?

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    "When do you hope to begin displaying videos on your sites?"

Not likely. I want shoppers, not people who want to watch video. Plus I think this experiment of Google's won't last long. But I'm all for everybody else trying it out. Just not the type of site I have and not targetted to what they come looking for. But might work for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust

Not likely. I want shoppers, not people who want to watch video.
    And shoppers don't watch video? If I'm interested in buying a TV I'd love to see a video that talks to me about what to look for. There's no doubt I'm going to watch some gameplay videos before I buy a video game. I'll watch a movie trailer or two before I buy a DVD or movie tickets. And there's a good chance I'll watch a video demonstration of what to expect when shopping at a new site.

Catering to TV viewers is a whole different story. But merchants might want to be thinking about how to capitalize on both shoppers and a general viewing audience.

- Scott

I want shoppers on my site for as little time as possible. I want them to click and go to the merchant asap.

ABW Ambassador
    "And shoppers don't watch video?"

Not if they just want a coupon or a deal. Maybe they want to read reviews on a product from many different people. Unless you have plans to get all those people on video. In some places it'll work, other places it won't. Depends on what you have going on.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I want shoppers on my site for as little time as possible. I want them to click and go to the merchant asap.
    What if they don't know who to buy from or what to buy?

- Scott

Well I don't really think a video is going to do any better job than some good old fashioned text will. You forget that many shoppers are still newbies. They want it simple.
    Plus on my site, most people already have an idea where they want to shop, they just want to know which place has the better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Well I don't really think a video is going to do any better job than some good old fashioned text will. You forget that many shoppers are still newbies. They want it simple.
    Plus on my site, most people already have an idea where they want to shop, they just want to know which place has the better deal.
    How about this Dermacia ad? I saw you jump on that and thought that's great that you're embracing video. Hoping more merchants follow suit.

- Scott

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    We love the idea of using video as a merchant, we are planning now on making videos in a few ways.

We can show buyers live fish swimming around in a tank
    (can't to that with text)

We made a few showing how baby parrots are fed here.

We also want to make instructional videos of how to setup and maintain an aquarium, so many people think it's complicated when it's not.

We see the use of this media as a great selling tool on our site and in our new blog coming soon.

Hey here's how you do something and here's what you need to puchase to do it.

Marketing 101
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    >>When will you add Video to your sites?

For sales sites, never. For an informational content site that doesn't make any $ and probably never will, and wasn't intended to, I might consider it if I have the free time available and if my bills are paid by the other sites which can make $ - which are sales sites.

My humanitarian, charitable do-gooder instincts go just so far, and no further.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Never.

1) I don't do info-c*ntent.

2) I HATE IT when some video automatically plays!! It's as bad as embedded audio (precisely *because* of the fact that it usually includes audio). And, I think that within 5 years, auto-starting videos will be looked at in the same way.

It may (and I say "may" with reservations...see the closing comments) be good for some how-to type sites, but even then only if it doesn't auto-play. And, if it doesn't have the crummy video quality most of the stuff on YouTube does. Web video technology still needs a whole lot of improvement. No matter what I see on YouTube, it looks like the moving equivalent of overcompressed graphics. Yuck!

Overall I see no use for it on any of my sites, nor any I can imagine building in the future.

And shoppers don't watch video?
    Judging by the fact that I never see anyone watching those in-store how-to videos in Home Depot and the like (they set a tape going on an endless loop, explaining some project)--I'd say the answer is generally "no." People walk right by those TVs without even pausing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm surprised there aren't more affiliates scrambling to jump aboard the video bandwagon.
    I agree 100% as long as the video is "user initiated play video" versus play on page load.

I also think creating short video leads about a products feature points helps convert visitors to buyers.

Videos can be extremely helpful for technical instructions, how to redeem coupon offers from a merchant site, etc.

Moreover, creating videos is alot easier to create than many marketers think.

I added a free CamStudioIM software to the AU membership area and was really amazed at the lack of interest (judging by download counts) in a product that actually works great to make videos.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Internet Cowboy
    I have one site that uses video with some success and have many others planned. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I bought a fancy new digital video camera from Vanns.
    For me using video allows me to add a completely new dimension to my web site. I think if a customer can see and/or hear the item they are potentially purchasing in a video, this helps remove the hesitation to shop on the web.

Mostly I just like making and editing videos and thinking up new items I can use video to promote. But that's my favorite thing about my job in general, I make money playing on the computer

I totally agree with Ray. Video that plays on page load gets a back click from me most of the time. I hate it!

I think if a customer can see and/or hear the item they are potentially purchasing in a video, this helps remove the hesitation to shop on the web.
    This was our finding in split test marketing.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

When video would be useful to the visitors to my site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't know the pros and cons I guess as far as how well it does but I have several of the videos from the amwso sites on mine and think they're great. Not sure how visitors actually view them?? Also, have one from a jewler site that they had told me about so I placed it on my site.

As to the amwso videos, I think they are great to have on the site for information purposes (least the ones I have)
    Silly, I guess but it convinced me. lol I have one of the yoga ones for back care and had never thought of trying yoga before but after watching the guy a few times...got me to thinking and after asking my doctor I ordered it. So, least in one case it worked. Had a very positive experience with the company, too, so they've got me as a customer now for other things, too.

So, guess I think in some cases where somebody is wanting to maybe learn more about a product or subject or see something they didn't know about that they may be curious about, I think they're great. It's like a little mini commercial but if the person came to the page it's on, then most likely they want to learn more about that subject on the page and would be open to the idea of learning more about it. If it's just anywhere like on a home page or something with a bunch of coupons, it may not work at all cos the people who see it aren't really that interested but in spots of interest I think it can work. Just my opinion, tho.

Some good answers here. I agree 100% about the auto-play. The only place I don't mind it is when I'm watching videos on YouTube. But I don't want any audio playing automatically when I visit a site outside of YouTube. Something that can auto play would be a video that doesn't have sound. I don't think that would be as much of a problem. But then again we've already got animated advertisements. I guess if you've been successful running animated ads, video might be the next logical step. Now if only there were enough marketing videos available for us to use..

As with any new technology there are always going to be those who hesitate to adopt it, but it's the early adopters who are going to be ahead of the pack in a couple years. Customer video reviews are fairly new and there are a couple sites hosting them already. Smarter.com even started showing video reviews a couple months ago. This is a very interesting space and I'm curious to see what comes of it.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    How about this Dermacia ad? I saw you jump on that and thought that's great that you're embracing video. Hoping more merchants follow suit.

- Scott
    That was for a contest, and for a good friend. I wanted to help them test the ads.
    If any other circumstance I would not have added it, nor will I necessarily keep the video there.

Online Marketing Consultant
    I have a few videos put throughout one of my sites because my visitors enjoy seeing them and remembering some of the funny videos like rupaul, gaypimp and others. It adds to the experience of my site.
    Last edited by Liquidate; May 18th, 2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Decided I don't want to post this.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

ABW Ambassador
    "As with any new technology there are always going to be those who hesitate to adopt it, but it's the early adopters who are going to be ahead of the pack in a couple years."

Snib, again it depends what you're doing, what type of sites you have, who your audience is. So if people don't put up videos, it's not that they're necessarily hesitating, it could be they know their sites and their site visitors. So with this, you'll see a lot of people jump on it, so I don't know if you're "ahead of the pack" or just jumping on the current thing that's hot. There's lots of different ways out there to make money, different types of sites and they all don't need video. And not everybody wants to watch video. This isn't going to do anything for my main site. Now on my niche site there are some spots that I can see it working and probably will try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "As with any new technology there are always going to be those who hesitate to adopt it, but it's the early adopters who are going to be ahead of the pack in a couple years."

Snib, again it depends what you're doing, what type of sites you have, who your audience is. So if people don't put up videos, it's not that they're necessarily hesitating, it could be they know their sites and their site visitors. So with this, you'll see a lot of people jump on it, so I don't know if you're "ahead of the pack" or just jumping on the current thing that's hot. There's lots of different ways out there to make money, different types of sites and they all don't need video. And not everybody wants to watch video. This isn't going to do anything for my main site. Now on my niche site there are some spots that I can see it working and probably will try it out.
    I'm mostly talking to those who are averse to adopting new technology because they're comfortable where they're at or they don't want to embrace change. I just create these early adoption threads because I love experimenting with new technology, but unfortunately I can't find too many affiliates to share my excitement with.

- Scott

If it makes ya feel any better. I'm excited about it. I'm no computer wizard for sure, but I love the idea. Definitely takes me a while to learn it (and not always too well) but I love it. I put the video on my site a whole lot easier than I'm having with the rss stuff. lol So, I'm excited about it....just a little slow moving on it, but will catch up to all of you eventually.lol

Purple bear really means...

When you give away a PRIZE ! hehee

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I just create these early adoption threads because I love experimenting with new technology, but unfortunately I can't find too many affiliates to share my excitement with.

- Scott
    Maybe it is because your threads come across as a bit know it all, like I am doing this and if you aren't you are a loser.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast