Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Brings Doughnuts
    I found the perfect position in affiliate marketing here in the Clearwater, Fla. area this week and applied through Monster.com. I didn't hear back right away so I sent a message through the contact us page on their site. Then I sent a LinkedIn message to connect with the owner of the company.

And then it came to me. I had to shamelessly bribe them. So I delivered a box of a dozen glazed Dunkin Donuts to their office and taped my resume to the top. The front desk attendant took the resume and thanked me for the donuts. She promised to hand deliver the resume to the boss.

Now I'm sitting back, waiting for the phone to ring.

Do you think it will work?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; May 18th, 2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Removed Manual Signature

Not sure if it will work. Depends on the boss, if he is looking for an ethical person, then as you say "shamelessly bribe" them will not work. On the other hand. it might show if that you are desperately looking to get hired.

I think you should remove the back link
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

I think it's a good approach that could help you stand out from the other applicants. (I don't see anything unethical about it.) Especially considering the job you're applying for, thinking outside the box like that could be a real asset.

The manual signature has been removed. You'll be able to use the signature feature once you've earned it here.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Donuts can be persuasive.

Hehehee.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think it's a good approach that could help you stand out from the other applicants. (I don't see anything unethical about it.) Especially considering the job you're applying for, thinking outside the box like that could be a real asset.
    I TOTALLY agree with Michael. I love the ingenuity. If I were hiring, you'd be right on the "A" list of candidates!

~Bob

I totally agree, too. You have to stand out from the crowd. Back in the 80's my partner sent flowers to the receptionist at Chrysler. He then called and asked if Lee was in and she said he was on another line. He asked her if the flowers arrived and stuck up a conversation with her (including some lame pick-up type lines). He kept her giggling on the phone long enough and finally she said, "I'll connect you with Mr. Iacocca. The conversation lasted 20 minutes and three days later we were in his office making our presentation.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

Hehehee.
    Yet dangerous at the same time.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

Hehehee.
    I was waiting for that one
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Yet dangerous at the same time.
    Okay, so now, at this point, are we still talking about donuts, uh, er, or are we speaking of Donuts?

Gary the Writerguy -- a big fan of either donuts or Donuts!

I'd say if you taped Donuts to your resume instead of donuts, you'd have a better shot.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Internet Cowboy
    As a candidate for their affiliate manager, I have a related but even better idea. Bring Donuts (the affiliate) to their program instead. Food Donuts are fine and tasty, but Donuts (the affiliate) will bring in enough money to buy Donuts (the food) by the trainload.

Seriously, I like what you did. It shows ingenuity and the ability to get yourself recognized in a positive light. Just know that if you get the job you will then be expected to bring them more and more.

http and a telephoto
    Scooter, that was my thought when I read the thread title If a manager can bring Donuts to the table in a timely manner they should be hired immediately
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Okay, so now, at this point, are we still talking about donuts, uh, er, or are we speaking of Donuts?

Gary the Writerguy -- a big fan of either donuts or Donuts!

Ummmm.... I am talking about donuts, what else?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla
    I delivered a box of a dozen glazed Dunkin Donuts to their office and taped my resume to the top.

Now I'm sitting back, waiting for the phone to ring.

Do you think it will work?
    It would have worked on me.

I think you made a very cool move. Generosity of spirit (and donuts!) is a positive attribute in anyone.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Well, if you really wanted to know ... Mixed would have been better because it would have shown that your open to please the masses and not just those who conform to just glazed donuts. Additionally, the lack of Crispy Creme action should that your not dedicated 100% just about 80% and can have problems finishing projects.

Nice effort though, now it's time to think out side of the box [of Donuts] for the responses the interview questions knowing that they've identified your shortfalls.

Next Time think ... WWJCLD?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Now if I could only convince them to call back and interview me.

Greg - Internet Marketing Gorilla

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i think we need to change the thread's title to say "doughnuts" for clarity.

:-)

A six pack of something pale copper and hoppy might've worked best on me, but us Pacific Northwesterners do like our beers more than some.

I think bringing the donuts was a great idea. Might try bagels the following week. If that doesn't work, maybe a vegetable plate with various dips the week after that. You have to hit something to their tastes sooner or later...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I'm wondering just how many doughnuts were actually in the box?

I'm presuming that you tried the merchandise first, which would then leave 11. The receptionist had the box, so now you're down to 10...on the way to the lunch room, I'm sure that at least 2 more disappeared. By now, the boss is looking over the resume so he gets up to go take a look at this famous box of doughnuts and arrives just in time to see the last doughnut leave the box in the hand of another co-worker.

Bossman either gets a doughnut or he doesn't...if he does then you've got a shot, so it all depends on whether or not you tried the merchandise first.

I ask again, precisely how many donuts were in the box when you handed it to the receptionist?

Now let's say you had a bakers dozen..that means that you should have started with 13..the receptionist took 1, less 2 on the way, minus 8 in the lunchroom and even if you sampled one, then the bossman gets one.

It's becoming clearer to me that the entire outcome of your fate and future is suddenly and completely dependent on whether or not bossman actually ate a doughnut or not.

It turns out that it was a very very big decision indeed, to open your relationship with a box of a dozen doughnuts.

I need to know, exactly how many doughnuts were in the box?

What if the boss is a diabetic? He will think you are trying to kill him. Just a thought.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It wouldn't work on me. Mama taught me not to take food from strangers.

Something in a sealed container would have been a better bet. Something perhaps with a bottle cap or a cork, perhaps?

You'd be surprised how well bribery with donuts would work in plenty of the places I've worked. In fact, one place I worked had "food rules".

You got promoted. Bring donuts.
    It's your birthday. Bring donuts.
    It's your anniversary. Bring donuts.
    Your kid graduated. Bring donuts.
    Your lab tests came back negative. Bring donuts.
    You got a new puppy. Bring donuts.
    You won the office betting pool for the week. Bring donuts.
    You screwed up and cost the company millions. Bring donuts.
    The moon is in the seventh house. Bring donuts.

You get the picture. I wonder if that's why I gained 15 pounds while working there...
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by 1av8r

I ask again, precisely how many donuts were in the box when you handed it to the receptionist?
    12 to be exact. You have a point about whether or not the boss actually got one. He wasn't in the office that morning. And, I don't know if he was in the office at all this week, so I'm hoping the legend grows and the buzz on the Internet makes it to his desktop...The "doughnuts" from "Dunkin Donuts" were intended for the affiliate team that would hopefully work for me one day.

If he ever calls back, I'll find out his preferences and possibly send him some Cigars or Steaks.

By the way, if he was in the office that day, I was planning to send them pizza...

I think cream filled donuts are always a hit.

Smile Monday Monday Monday
    OK Gang of my new found colleagues.

I have an interview Monday 2 pm. with the VP of Marketing of said company.

What (if anything) should I bribe them with as a mid-afternoon snack?

WOOHOO!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast