ABW Ambassador
    AdSense Disabling Arbitrage Accounts by June 1
    Was just checking out this thread:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google...se/3342640.htm

Seems a lot are getting the same email.

Internet Cowboy
    Glad to see it. This should mean higher payouts for real publishers who use Adsense and a better source of content match for advertisers.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    MFA or arbitrage sites - what are they?

Made For Adsense
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Glad to see it. This should mean higher payouts for real publishers who use Adsense and a better source of content match for advertisers.
    EXACTLY!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm surprised they're being so friendly about kicking them all out. I thought MFAs were always against the AdSense TOS.

Maybe they had allowed them at some later point, in one of their "here are new terms--you find the difference" terms changes...

It has always been and still is against the adsense tos - it is my bible and I study that once a day
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Great! It might be worthwhile to try the content network as an advertiser again once they get rid of the MFA sites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Not necessarily. They also let in those infernal "free tool/calculator" sites, which bring clicks from people looking for...more free tools and calculators.

It was those sites, not the MFAs, that makes the content networks at all PPC places a really bad deal for me as an advertiser. Not that MFAs convert better, but tools/calc sites get more traffic, so that's where a lot of the damage came from, not only at AdWords but at Overture as well.

Of course, if you don't sell anything that would trigger an ad on such sites, they won't be a problem. But if you do, they can wipe your account out in record time.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I think there is a lot of overacting here. No one has provided any support to their contention that Google is disallowing arbitrage. They are disallowing MFAs which have always been a violation of their T&Cs. I've faulted Google for a long time about these sites. Glad they are finally enforcing what has been in their rules from Day 1.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Not necessarily. They also let in those infernal "free tool/calculator" sites, which bring clicks from people looking for...more free tools and calculators.

It was those sites, not the MFAs, that makes the content networks at all PPC places a really bad deal for me as an advertiser. Not that MFAs convert better, but tools/calc sites get more traffic, so that's where a lot of the damage came from, not only at AdWords but at Overture as well.

Of course, if you don't sell anything that would trigger an ad on such sites, they won't be a problem. But if you do, they can wipe your account out in record time.
    Number one on my list of bad sites are freebie sites. expecially the free screensavers and stuff. these parasites make my computer itch. hehehe

number two are the arbitrage sites. clicking on an adsense ad only to discover more adsense ads are not my thing.

ABW Ambassador
    I've never liked any of that myself, I'm sure users didn't either. When they clicked on one ad just to get to another page of more ads, the get paid for the click kind. Not what they were looking for.

I'm more concerned with keeping those ads out of my AdSense, than the other way around. There's a thread around here somewhere with a big ban list of 'em, which I consolidated into the list I already had.

But after getting blasted with the free-conversion-tool seekers, I disabled the content network entirely at both G and Y, without waiting to see what else was waiting to burn up my click fees.

clicking on an adsense ad only to discover more adsense ads are not my thing.
    As a user, I hate that. And as a webmaster, I don't like those MFA sites either. They're so dull!

But I do find it interesting that G had to aim at their wallets to combat their proliferation, rather than using an algorithmic solution.

Maybe they got sick of chasing that particular mouse. However, if they think booting those sites will end MFA spam, they're probably mistaken. It'll just become MFY (Made for Yahoo) or MFM (Made for MSN) spam, instead...at least until it's booted from those networks, too.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    i think this makes good business sense for google.

the magic word here is profit, not exactly revenue.

since the arbitragers get more from adsense than they give to adwords, that will increase google's profit.

this will also erase the costs associated with the processing of the arbitragers' transactions, so additional profit from this angle.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I think there is a lot of overacting here. No one has provided any support to their contention that Google is disallowing arbitrage. They are disallowing MFAs which have always been a violation of their T&Cs. I've faulted Google for a long time about these sites. Glad they are finally enforcing what has been in their rules from Day 1.
    If they are canning MFA sites, most arbitrage sites should be in there as well. Both types of sites feature nothing but pages and pages of Adsense ads and nothing else.

I'm sure they have identified these sites with an algo and already have their list, obvioisly since the emails have gone out. It probably won't kill all of them, but there will be more rounds of removals I'm sure. Get rid of half of them and it will make a noticable improvement in content quality.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    How can you tell the difference between a MFA/arbitrage site and a content site that runs adsense?

Is it the # of ads that run?
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    How can you tell the difference between a MFA/arbitrage site and a content site that runs adsense?

Is it the # of ads that run?
    Your site is fine. This will only affect sites that exist only to display Adsense. I don't have a link to show you one, but you are fine

ABW Ambassador

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Thanks!

Now I understand the difference
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Kind of funny that the blog with the mfa sites is a made for adsense blog lol and a losuy one at that

Too bad Google isn't also doing something about this kind of MFA site. The only real content on that page is a one-sentence definition of affiliate marketing, yet it's overwhelmed by banners, AdSense, a pop-under, etc.

Yeah, I have a feeling the established MFA's and the ones that actually rank well won't be leaving. Domain parking ads either...

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread