View Poll Results: Affiliates, what balance b/w animated and static merchant banners do you want to see?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% animated, 100% static

6 22.22%
  • 25% animated, 75% static

13 48.15%
  • 50 / 50

5 18.52%
  • 75% animated, 25% static

0 0%
  • 100% animated, 0% static

1 3.70%
  • other (please specify in a post)

2 7.41%
    Question Merchant Banners: Animated or Static?
    Singling out one of the points from Billy's Merchant Banner Problems - Part II thread I am hereby starting a poll on the balance that affiliates want to see in merchants' animated vs static banners...

So the question is: What do you believe to be a sound balance between animated merchant banners and static ones? (Read: What do you want to see in merchants' creative inventories?)

Comments would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geno

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    My page is NOT a blinking Christmas Tree - it's a place of business!
    Great idea for a pole, Geno, and I hope some merchants will get some input from the results.

I thought I would vote 100% static, but I think 25% animated would be ok to have available, just so there can be some small sized banners that can include a couple of screens of info that would not otherwise fit on only one, but NOT so they can include multiple loud/glaring/distracting/obnoxious cartoons.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I use more text links or pictures and very few banners anyway. The banners I use don't blink. I personally hate the blinky cheesy looking garbage. Especially the ones that blink "FREE <garbage>".

There is an exception. Some of the DRM animated creatives like from .mac on LS, etc. that are professional animations look nice. I'll occasionally uses one like that but never more than 1 per page/article.

Predictable votes so far (less favor to "flashing" banners, more - to tastefully designed static ones). Looking forward to more votes and comments.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    If some people like the blinking, flashing, jumping, hopping around ones that's fine for them, but if that's all there is I won't use that merchant's banners at all.

Other: Just to be fair to everyone, 10% animated for those who absolutely insist, 90% static.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    If some people like the blinking, flashing, jumping, hopping around ones that's fine for them, but if that's all there is I won't use that merchant's banners at all.

Other: Just to be fair to everyone, 10% animated for those who absolutely insist, 90% static.
    Would you say that the degree of animation matters in a question like this?

For example, take the following two buttons:

-- and --

They are neither blinking like a "Christmas Tree", nor "flashing, jumping" or "hopping around"... They -- as also a "click here" animation on larger banners -- add some life to the online experience without blatantly intruding into the shopping process. At least, so I think.

So, would you say that a 25/75 correlation would work if animation is moderate, sensible, and not intrusive?

Plus, with the buttons example, if a merchant has 4 buttons 3 of which are static and 1 is animated, you can always pick that animated one when you want to draw your visitors' attention to it more than to other ones, and always have a choice of replacing it with a static option when you do not want it to stand out.

Thanks,

Geno

The degree is important and the presentation of the animation is a factor.

I like 218.gif where fine dining is delivered.

I think an animation that is part of a message can be subtle and clever.

I've seen big banners with bright orange (and/or other bright colors) hopping at the viewer that merely say, "Click here" or something annoying.

Your idea "4 buttons 3 of which are static and 1 is animated" where the webmaster has a choice is a good idea. Your examples of "animations" in small sizes are well chosen.

Also, AMs should keep in mind that links to the specific products are important and banners are complimentary.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think there is an accurate answer for this poll.

Geno for the two examples you just posted, i think those two animated banners are ugly and are nothing more than blinking lights. When the animation flows and is actual animation, not animated blinking, it can work. I always avoid blinking banners, but I have found animated banners convert better (again saying blinking banners are not animated banners).

Chet

Chet,

Thank you for being sincere in speaking out your thoughts. Makes us differentiate the issue even further: between "blinking" (undesirable) and "animated" (often converting much better than static ones) banners.

Just to draw a clearer line between the two, from your experience, Chet, would the first one of these be your "blinking" one, while the second one be closer to the more desirable version of the "animated" ones:

If none are the ones you've found effective, could you kindly post an example of an effective/proper animated one? It should benefit many affiliate managers around here.

Also, in your opinion, are Flash banners any good for including them into the "animated" (the good) category as well?

Thanks,

Geno

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Here's my 2c:

Personally I like animated ones as long as they're not that cheapo-looking variety.

But I do like them to have a *bit* more pizzazz than the "tasteful" examples so far. Taste is nice, but if they're too low-key, the point of having animation is lost.
    For instance, Banner #2 in the above post would catch my eye a bit more if the words slid in just a bit faster.

When I think of "blinking" ones I immediately think of those awful ones that come through FastClick. Those'll make your eyes pop out of your head--in an attempt to get away from the view! Those banners are really, really, really over the top!

All the animated banners actually showing in this thread look fine to me, animation-wise. The ones in Post #6 are too small and the colors are pastels (I usually dislike pastels), but that's not an animation problem.

The only problem I have with the animation itself in those little buttons is that sometimes people put a whole bunch of them in the footer, and *together* that creates an overwhelming effect which really exaggerates the flashing. Plus, when people use multiples of them, they're never in synch.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Ok. I get your points, Leader. Much appreciated. Looking forward to Chet's input.

G.

Whoever it was that voted for the "100% animated, 0% static" option, could you please explain your choice?

Geno

When we created our creative inventory we aimed for a variety of options (size, copy and Flashyness) - reading this poll and the related comments made me glad of that decision!

When it comes down to it, banners should appeal to a variety of affiliates to suit the myriad of affiliate sites out there. A bit of clever Flash use may work really well on one site, but not well at all on another. There should be a few different options in the creative inventory, so that there's something for everyone.

In short, variety is the spice of affiliate life!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Whoever it was that voted for the "100% animated, 0% static" option, could you please explain your choice?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread