Website tonight questions
    Hi,
    if I have put this in the wrong thread, could someone be so find as to move it into the correct area!
    As I am so very new to all of this. I have done hours of searching (with many more to go) to find how to build a web site, hosting, domain name etc......
    I saw a link in one of the threads I was reading about this forum has domain name registration. When I checked into it, I saw that the name I was looking to register has not been registered.
    As I surfed around on that site, I saw they will also host and you can get the Website Tonight to help you build your web site.
    My questions:
    1. I am not sure how many pages I will need in my web site. Is there an average amount of web pages people have on their sites?
    I have found several (over 30) companies that would work within what I would like to promoting.
    2. If I start with the middle package deal, can I upgrade it to add more to my web site?
    3. how many e-mail addresses do you REALLY need?
    4. So far I have a list of items I need to purchase before and during the process of building a web site.
    a. domain name
    b. hosting
    c. possible software to build the web site.
    What else are you paying for monthly to have an affiliate website up and running?
    5. How easy is the Website Tonight to use to build your website?

I did download Dreamweaver trial software, but after the download realized I needed to have windows XP, I have windows 2000. so I can't use it.

Thanks for all your help to these questions.
    Last edited by jumar112; May 20th, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add more information

Quote Originally Posted by jumar112
    As I am so very new to all of this. I have done hours of searching (with many more to go) to find how to build a web site, hosting, domain name etc......
    Good job. And it sounds like you're making good progress.

I saw a link in one of the threads I was reading about this forum has domain name registration. When I checked into it, I saw that the name I was looking to register has not been registered.
    As I surfed around on that site, I saw they will also host and you can get the Website Tonight to help you build your web site.
    It's possible to get your domain from the same company you get your hosting from, though many people now prefer to get them from two separate companies. It gives you more control if you want to move to a different host later.

My questions:
    1. I am not sure how many pages I will need in my web site. Is there an average amount of web pages people have on their sites?
    I think most people recommend making each page as specific as you can, so that means making more pages. That's okay.
    I have found several (over 30) companies that would work within what I would like to promoting.
    If you mean affiliate programs, that's fine. Just remember to develop those specific pages for each of those products you want to promote.

2. If I start with the middle package deal, can I upgrade it to add more to my web site?
    With most hosts, that's not a problem.

3. how many e-mail addresses do you REALLY need?
    Probably not very many, based on your business model.

4. So far I have a list of items I need to purchase before and during the process of building a web site.
    a. domain name
    b. hosting
    c. possible software to build the web site.
    Good list.
    What else are you paying for monthly to have an affiliate website up and running?
    That should be it. You shouldn't ever have to pay to join an affiliate program.

5. How easy is the Website Tonight to use to build your website?
    I haven't used that one, so I can't comment directly, but generally the site builder software offered by hosts is pretty easy to use. You get page templates ready for you to plug your content into, as long as you want more or less plain HTML. You may need to open up the hood to tweak the HTML code as you put in your content.
    I did download Dreamweaver trial software, but after the download realized I needed to have windows XP, I have windows 2000. so I can't use it.
    You might try using the free site builder to see if that works for you before buying software, especially if it requires operating system upgrades.
    Thanks for all your help to these questions.
    Welcome to ABW. It's a friendly place.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

thanks Doctor Mike!
    I was hoping that I was moving along with my research.....
    Sometimes it did not seem like it with all the information that
    is out there.
    Since the past couple of years I have not spent to much time on the computer,
    My hubby just came in and asked
    "what are you doing on the computer?"
    My answer: "Um, searching for information to publish a web site and get into affiliate marketing.
    hubby said...Uh, Ok.
    I am so glad to be able to find help out there!!!

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I use website tonight and I love it! It's so newbie friendly

It'll will take a few days to get the "feel" for it, but it's a great WYSIWYG editor.
    I bought the premium package and have unlimited pages, a forum and a blog.

My only complaint is that the customer support # is not toll free and the first two weeks I think I called at least once a day while I was learning, lol.
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

hubby said...Uh, Ok.
    Get used to that. 98% of the public has no idea what we do. And that's a good thing, for the most part. It hurts us in getting legislators to take our issues seriously, but it helps in other ways.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Seems like you've gotten your answers will just add a little
    Yeap, if you want to, (pretty sure I know which hosting place you're talking about considering what you've mentioned) you can register your domain name and get your hosting from them. Their price for the domain name is pretty good and not sure you can beat it except many sites will give you a free domain name but their hosting costs are more expensive.
    question #1 - amount of pages varies really depending on what type of site you're going to have. If people are designing sites for people 4 or 5 pages are considered about the average. You want to have a home page, should have some sort of a contact us page and a lot of people have an about us page to give an idea of what the site's about, the history of the site so that people get an idea that they're actually dealing with a real live person or company that gives them confidence in the site. Some people combine that on just their home page, though. Depending on which merchants you'll be affiliated with, some require that you have a privacy policy, so you'd want a page for that.....you can include that with any terms and conditions you may have or faq's or even squeeze it in with the contact us I would guess if you're really tight for space. Then just what DoctorMike said You want to have your pages with the merchants products be as specific as you can on separate pages so you can try to make them keyword specific to those products.

question #2 - yeap...assuming again that I know which host site you're referring to I use them and have updated with no problem. Although...I'm having a bit of a problem regarding getting the rss on my site lol if you want to have php for your site you do have to upgrade to the middle package. Uhh, I've done that but still having a problem....but that may be due to my rss dumminess lol since they keep telling me it's there automatically. lol Just make sure to look at their features for each plan to be sure it includes what you want.

question #3 - guess that may depend on how big your site is..they give you several with your host package tho, so it should be enough for you. I've only got one for my site. Have several others but just one for each site.

I don't use their site maker cos I do it myself and with Frontpage but
    rgrsgrl thinks it's great and I know others that feel the same. If you don't for some reason, there's several free editors online that you can use.

This hosting place we're referring lol without naming does not have the greatest in the way of stats for your site but pssssst don't know if I can name them but uhhh the biggie search engine has free analytics that's pretty good. I use it and am happy with it. If you have the money to spend and want to there are others very good.

oooooh definitely agree with rgrsgrl. I hate the fact that you have to pay for the call to get support from them. If ya have a cell phone with the unlimited long distance tho....use it. lol I get pretty frustrated emailing for support, too. If you don't have a lot of money to spend on the hosting and domain name, tho. this host site isn't bad overall, tho. They are usually never offline, which is definitely a plus.

hope that helps some and good luck with your site
    ok....hmmm wasn't quite just a little.

Thank you all for all the in-site

Noth, I spoke to a few people (other than my hubby) about what I was in working on and they also gave me that "deer in the headlights" look too!

I did go ahead and purchase the domain, web hosting yesterday and started working on the website.
    To start to use the web site builder was very confusing, and the tutorial was not helpful at all.
    I did get my template picked out and did not like the picture and finally figured out how to change the picture to what I wanted.
    I also made a table to work with and was not looking like I wanted it to, so I went into the HTML section and started to mess with that......finally, after looking at that and going to a website that had a quick reference to all the coding I finally got it figured out......YEA!
    My target date to be have the website up was August 1st. If I keep plugging along, I hope to be up within the next couple of weeks. (fingers crossed)

[/QUOTE]Some people combine that on just their home page, though. Depending on which merchants you'll be affiliated with, some require that you have a privacy policy, so you'd want a page for that.....you can include that with any terms and conditions you may have[QUOTE]

How do I write a privacy policy and what about the terms and conditions.....?

The privacy policy will probably be dictated by the requirements of whatever programs you join that require it.

Terms and conditions are more up to you. Have a look at the terms on similar and even vastly different sites to see what others have done.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread