What's the matter with merchants???

Don't they know that if they rename images or move them to different locations that every site backing them up will have broken images???

Yes, I know, I can serve them myself but my bandwidth usage is blowing the ceiling off as it is.

I just moved to THMEDIA's server for sites with high bandwidth usage because my site really uses it up.

You would think that when managers KNOW you are using those images, they would leave them alone. I just found my whole tarot site was filled with broken images. I could have used that time adding more of their products or another advertiser's products.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I agree with your accessment. The merchant AM's do not take into consideration their 5 minute moving of images and banners to a new server in order to save a few busks makes thousands of affiliate sites go blank on those image links. I alway use the seen broken images on my site or a notice from the merchant as a good reason to review their account. No sales from lot's of clicks and they just get removed alltogether.

WebMaster Mike

I'm going to have to disagree. Although you are affiliated with them and they do provide you with some images, any image of there's that you hotlink to without their consent is stealing (of bandwidth). If you want to display images of theirs then you should use the ones provided (in the ad network) or contact the merchant about hotlinking. If any of their provided images are dead links then I can agree that they should be fixed but you have no right to complain whilst you steal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If any of their provided images are dead links then I can agree that they should be fixed but you have no right to complain whilst you steal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have run into this problem also, so that must mean I am stealing too.
    Is that right Tweaker?
    I don't recall seeing SSanf or Ecom saying they were hotlinking or stealing as you so elegantly put it. They said there is a problem. How does that give you the right to accuse them of stealing?
    I have run into this problem quite a few times myself.
    Now by saying that I might expect to hear, are you using advanced linking? are you using a datafeed, are you using the image url's provided on the network, or something along that line.

Instead,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If any of their provided images are dead links then I can agree that they should be fixed but you have no right to complain whilst you steal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    For the record I have had this problem with datafeeds, advanced and even regular linking features on different networks.
    I have NOT had this problem because I was hotlinking or stealing and I resent the implication of your statement.
    And it wasn't even directed at me.

Again, my

Game on!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> any image of there's that you hotlink to without their consent is stealing (of bandwidth). If you want to display images of theirs then you should use the ones provided (in the ad network) or contact the merchant about hotlinking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of the above applies. I am talking about an independent merchant who DID give premission to hot link. No network was involved.

It has also happened with merchants when I have used the advanced generator at CJ to get links. As for the stealing bit...uhhh, what is that phrase Haiko is so found of....

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tweaker as a newbee probably misunderstood the reason for the rant. Last year alone 27 of my network merchants changed everyone of their damn images from network coded links ( individual product images -banners and buttons). They get charged an ala-cart fee by the networks for feeding these images from the network servers. When they find a cheaper image serving network they switch to that one causing millions of affiliate legit images not to display.

Don't be so quick to mis-label your peers.

WebMaster Mike

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread