Analysis: LinkShare to be Flipped by Rakuten?
    There is an acquisition frenzy in the online advertising industry. In the last month there has been a huge amount of online advertising acquisitions, sparked by Google’s purchase of DoubleClick for $3 billion. The most recent was Microsoft’s purchase of aQuantive Inc. for $6 billion, which was an 85% premium of it’s market value. Yahoo also bought Right Media for $680 million, WPP Group (a traditional advertising firm) is buying 24/7 Real Media for $649 million. Rakuten is almost certainly entertaining offers to buy LinkShare, since online advertising is not necessarily key to their business, and they would have to snap up quite a few more online advertising companies themselves just to stay competitive. That would be a huge cost, considering they have a rumored interest in acquiring TBS outright in Japan.

There are tell-tale signs of window dressing going on behind the scenes at LinkShare. It has happened before, with LinkShare’s rushed rollout of its half baked Analytics and its Athena project that is much less capable than it was intended to be (or even currently advertised to be). These moves helped set the stage for a sale to Rakuten. More recent half-hearted attempts have been its late-to-market expansion into the UK, and its late-to-market expansion into the ad network and lead generation networks. LinkShare’s hesitation to back its search business with proper technology is another indicator of its lack of interest in committing to the long haul.

In truth, Rakuten does not need LinkShare in order to execute its plans to open an internet mall in the US. If LinkShare’s technology were so use full to this expansion, Rakuten would have already leveraged the technology in its mall operation in Japan. This expansion in the U.S. could actually be financed by the sale of LinkShare.

There are still companies that are in dire need of an online advertising network. Two that come to mind are IAC (owners of Ask.com) and News Corp. (owners of MySpace). There are certainly other traditional advertising agencies that are certainly scrambling to cement their online presence. With little time to develop such technologies in house, LinkShare seems like one of the few remaining advertising networks worth paying a hefty premium for.

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting !
    If the above is a copy/paste, please state your source. ty

ABW Ambassador
    Posts like this, especially from someone who has just registered a new screen name, are always suspect to me. If this person wants to be taken seriously, as far as I'm concerned, he would attach his name to his comments.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I ran various snippets of the post through google and ixquick and could find no trace of it.

Maybe somebody with a put option on Rakuten's stock.

Nope. Written by me, pure speculation on my part.

did I miss something?
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

obviously
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Value Click (VCLK) will be the next to go (if it does at all). Have you seen the trading volume spike since 5/18? Something is obviously amiss.

I won't believe these types of rumors unless they come from Ron.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

BG4512,

You should look at my post in the VCLK stock soars thread.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think there is a frenzy going on but I am not a betting person.

Well, if you know which way it's going, I say get in with both feet.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread