I sold a domain - TWICE!
    The world of domain name selling is fascinating and always amazes me. About four years ago I sold a domain name for about $150. A couple of years ago I saw it was available so I bought it and parked it. Last week it sold again for $250.

Similarly, I sold a domain about five years ago for a few hundred dollars and when it came up again I bought it. Curious to see if it ever sells.

Makes me wonder if I (and others, thus this post) should routinely look for domains that I have sold to see if they every become available again. One has to consider that if it was a hot item once, it could well be a hot item again.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Congrats!

I never heard that 1 before ... I hope you pull it off with the other domain as well.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Ron where are you selling them if you don't mind sharing
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    must be a good domain except that the person who boought it did not market or utilize it well

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Last week it sold again for $250.
    To the same person?

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Ron where are you selling them if you don't mind sharing
    I've been using Afternic for many years. $60 Escrow fee, but since I've always got my money I just price the domains high enough to cover that cost and I still get what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    To the same person?
    I have no idea but I suspect not.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I have done this several times. Once I sold a domain thrice. The buyers gave it up in sequence. I recently picked up a domain via a backorder - I had sold it some 6 years ago. Hope to sell it sooner or later.

Hmmm. This gives a whole new meaning to repeat business!
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

One of my .info domains that I got for free a couple years ago was parked & earning a reasonable PPC income. I was offered $65.00 - sold it - the buyer never developed it and 4-5 months later the buyer simply let it expire. I registered it again for $1.99 this time and it is currently parked and earning it's keep. I have little doubt that I could sell it again for around $100.00

Strange business.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The world of domain name selling is fascinating and always amazes me.
    Then you're going to love this article:
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/busin...0989/index.htm

Headline:
    The man who owns the Internet
    Kevin Ham is the most powerful dotcom mogul you've never heard of, reports Business 2.0 Magazine. Here's how the master of Web domains built a $300 million empire.

Article:
    Discusses Kevin Ham, the biggest player of them all - who he is and what he does.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the article closes with this quote from Kevin:

"If you control all the domains," he says, "then you control the Internet."

the stuff about Cameroon (.cm) squatting is interesting.

so is the part about him now building websites - smells like he's discovered affiliate marketing (and he knows there's too much risk in typosquatting).

Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not an active domain buyer, I primarily did it years ago when I was trying to set up affiliate sites but discovered when I hit 300 domains I'd never be able to develop them, let alone keep them updated, so I started selling them off. I used to spend an hour each morning searching for specific domain names (ones that stated with the word discount for example).

In this day and age, though, I wonder if buying top level domain names (.com) is really as good as it was several years ago. What with PPC and all, anyone can get their domain name at the top of Google's list if the want with any type of domain suffix (.info, .biz, .tv).

Still, I love the trill of checking my emails and seeing someone bought a domain name for hundreds of dollars that I only invested less than $30 over the years. I've got one really good one I turned down an offer last year for $1,000. No offers since, so perhaps that was the wrong move, but I'm sure it would easily sell for $500 so still no loss on my part.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Yeah, thanks Donuts, that article was very interesting! Seems there still is some advantages you can get if you are clever enough. The Camoroon scheme is pretty genius!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

interesting article. I know I've seen some of those .cm pages before, its interesting to see now that its all run by that guy.

I hate those parking bastages. I made a mistake a few days ago and lost a domain. I made a list of potentials, did my search/buy, in the cart confusion I missed putting one in the cart. I didn't notice until the next day and *poof* it's snagged and parked. I'm right in the 5 day area so I'm waiting for them to drop it (while being careful to not type it in and make it valuable) so I can snatch it back.

I also hate those parking bastages because I didn't think of it first, they got rich, I didn't.

Affiliate Manager
    Thumbs up Selling domains twice
    The world of domain name selling is fascinating and always amazes me. About four years ago I sold a domain name for about $150. A couple of years ago I saw it was available so I bought it and parked it. Last week it sold again for $250.

Similarly, I sold a domain about five years ago for a few hundred dollars and when it came up again I bought it. Curious to see if it ever sells.

Makes me wonder if I (and others, thus this post) should routinely look for domains that I have sold to see if they every become available again. One has to consider that if it was a hot item once, it could well be a hot item again.
    I've also sold a domain twice, both times for $150, different people. I have also sold a parked domain and the buyers did not change the DNS for 2 years, therefore, I continued to make PPC income for 2 years AFTER I sold it!

It sounds like you are referring to "domain tasting" rather than domain parking. The tasters don't really even buy the domain. They just "taste" the traffic on thousands at a time and "spit out" most of them 4 days later. You probably have a good change of catching it again when it drops the second time if it does not have traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I hate those parking bastages. I made a mistake a few days ago and lost a domain. I made a list of potentials, did my search/buy, in the cart confusion I missed putting one in the cart. I didn't notice until the next day and *poof* it's snagged and parked. I'm right in the 5 day area so I'm waiting for them to drop it (while being careful to not type it in and make it valuable) so I can snatch it back.

I also hate those parking bastages because I didn't think of it first, they got rich, I didn't.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread