Web installations NOT in the Public Folder
    Hi there,
    I was wondering what your thoughts were on not installing my website files and components into the root of the public folder. I'm developing my site in a subfolder at domain.com/dev. currently I have not submitted the domain to any search engines. However, when the site is ready to go live I would rather not have to physically move all of my files into the public folder (i.e domain.com). Could I just use a permanent 301 redirect to direct any traffic from domain.com/index.htm to domain.com/dev/index.htm and leave it as that. Will this have a negative impact on my page ranking or will the bot just follow the redirect. Or would it be better for SEO if my site was located in the root (i.e domain.com/index.htm). Hope this isn't too cumbersome a question. But basically I don't want to damage my site before it's even live. Many thanks

if you don't have ranking yet, then just redirecting the home / to /dev/ is easy enough. I haven't found any problem in search engine rankings or bots with websites being in folders like that.

Probably there's little impact, if you redirect all references with a 301 and there are no pre-existing links. Make note of all your internal links within the site, to make sure they point to the right places.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

However, if you are talking about bookmarks and typein traffic, yourdomain.com is a lot easier to remember than yourdomian.com/dev/

I'd put it in the home, less confusing.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    However, if you are talking about bookmarks and typein traffic, yourdomain.com is a lot easier to remember than yourdomian.com/dev/

I'd put it in the home, less confusing.
    but as long as they redirect the domain.com traffice to domain.com/dev they should be okay for type-in.

Just from a security point of view I've always been advised not to install into root of domain.com. Is this something I shouldn't worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by kipnae
    Just from a security point of view I've always been advised not to install into root of domain.com. Is this something I shouldn't worry about?
    Not sure where you heard that, but installing in a subdirectory doesn't make it more secure.

Maybe what you're thinking of is putting non-public items above the public_html folder, instead of below it?
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Also, I find by using subdirectories within the root with a redirect, this offers more flexibilty when making changes to the site. With minimum fuss. I can then have domain.com/today and domain.com/2morro. (These 2 sites would be indentical to one another). I could then make my changes to the development site and use my redirect to switch when it's ready to go. Then if what you are saying about SEO and page ranking are true then the site won't lose it's position.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread