ABW Ambassador
    Adware Still Overwriting Affiliate Links
    Ben Edelman gives several examples of Linkshare and Performics affiliates and Linkshare and Performics themselves of earning commissions and fees, respectively, from non-end user actions from organic traffic such as direct merchant type-ins, organic search results, etc.

Any merchant who sees one of their affiliates listed should terminate the affiliate. You should also bring this to the attention of the offending network since the network you are affiliated with may be charging you for traffic that did not originate from one of your affiliate links.

Spyware Still Cheating Merchants and Legitimate Affiliates
    http://www.benedelman.org/

Internet Cowboy
    Anyone who has been in this business for more than 45 minutes should know that Performics and Linkshare are two of the largest adware/spyware enablers in existance. Ask them about it though and all you get is, "Well, you know, those people want that software on their computers."

They make millions of dollars off of the use of adware/spyware by rogue affiliates and turn their head the other way and pretend it is all good.

I am convinced that their day will come. Sooner or later American consumers will get sick and tired of this shit on their computers and merchants and affiliates will join the consumers and unite against these sleazy tactics by the networks. When this happens there will be a class-action suit that is awarded damages in the billions of dollars.

Notice that Ben no longer hammers on eBates. He is a member of eBates, making him part (a huge part, given his occupation) of the problem in my opinion.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Notice that Ben no longer hammers on eBates. He is a member of eBates, making him part (a huge part, given his occupation) of the problem in my opinion.
    WOW, that's a pretty strong allegation of which I very much disagree. There probably isn't an affiliate out there who hasn't benefitted from the work Ben has done. I am tremendously appreciative that he makes his extensive research and documentation available for free. As an end-user, if he chooses to use a rebate site, that's his prerogative and doesn't make him an enabler.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    WOW, that's a pretty strong allegation of which I very much disagree. There probably isn't an affiliate out there who hasn't benefitted from the work Ben has done. I am tremendously appreciative that he makes his extensive research and documentation available for free. As an end-user, if he chooses to use a rebate site, that's his prerogative and doesn't make him an enabler.
    I don't discount Ben's work nor do I ever intend to be, or want to come across as being, unappreciative of the advancements he has made in the battle against fraudsters in our industry.

That is where my problem comes into play. He works to expose how merchants and affiliates are paying the price for this yet he is part of it. Granted, he is a willing participant, but what is the percentage of people out there who have this stuff on their computer and just want it to go away and can't make it do so? Meanwhile it robs merchants and affiliates alike and makes the networks and the parasite affiliate companies rich. Do you know how much money you could make if you could scam half of the affiliates in the US out of even only $1 every day? That's what is happening.

Keep in mind that Ben probably makes a fine living doing what he does. I don't know that for sure and certain, but I am reasonably sure of it. So he does not do what he does without gain, but I am cool with that. I hope he makes millions and continues to bring this slime to the forefront.

I am not anti-Ben, I only wish he didn't participate in the sector of the industry that harbors the corruption. FatWallet has no BHO and there are several more who offer cash who do not use a BHO. User consent is one thing, BHOs popping all over the place and setting cookies for no reason at all is a horse of a different color.

Edited to say:
    I have never met Ben in person. I know Kellie from AFP personally. If she were to announce that she is a registered member of eBates, I would say the very same thing about her. This is not a personal sentiment. It is pure logic to me.
    Last edited by UncleScooter; May 21st, 2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added one additional thought

I am convinced that their day will come. Sooner or later American consumers will get sick and tired of this shit on their computers and merchants and affiliates will join the consumers and unite against these sleazy tactics by the networks.
    A consumer doesn't give a sh.. where the commission goes. The only thing he may be interested in is does it harm his computer.
    The only class action could be taken by publishers.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by options
    Prophetic.

... and timely!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by options
    A consumer doesn't give a sh.. where the commission goes. The only thing he may be interested in is does it harm his computer.
    You think people like having this software on their computer? Do you think they like not being able to remove it?

You think people like having this software on their computer? Do you think they like not being able to remove it?
    Masses just don't care if it's not clearly harmful to them. They even consciously install Microsoft software on their PC's!

ABW Ambassador
    Nearly 60 million American adults today have badware on their computers, according to a recent Pew Internet & American Life Project. Consumer Reports estimates that it cost home computer users $3.5 billion in 2003 and 2004 to replace or repair their hardware after it was infected with such programs.

CNET - Published: January 24, 2006

the link to ben's newest article is here:
    http://www.benedelman.org/news/052107-1.html

the 6 examples he gives are for these networks:
    performics
    hydra network
    link share (x4)

wow, big surprise. not.

these are his examples of what he calls self-targeting where the scumbag adwhore opens a browser to netflix for the person who is ALREADY visiting netflix (to set the cookie and get paid a commission for doing nothing that helps that merchant).

Ben, since Google is buying DoubleClick who owns Performics, hope you do more to reveal that Performics is a Google company participating in adware deception.

Be really funny to see some write ups of some performics poppers jumping on the merchants adwords ppc. Merchant pays G for ads, Performics (owned by G) takes credit for the sale.

Internet Cowboy
    I sent my contact at PFX a link to the article, no reply. Not surprised!

The comedy continues:

"House approves less stringent anti-spyware bill"

http://www.reuters.com/article/inter...26632220070523

It omits provisions in competing legislation endorsed by the House Energy and Commerce Committee that would require software distributors and advertisers to clearly notify and obtain consent from consumers before programs can be loaded onto a computer.
    Why?

Lofgren said those types of requirements could hurt innovation and technology investment.
    LOL.

Lofgren said those types of requirements could hurt innovation and technology investment.
    If getting explicit permission to install crap on someone's PC is going to hurt innovation and technology investment, then I say "Let the hurting begin!"
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

"Focusing on bad actors and criminal conduct is preferable to an approach that criminalizes technology or imposes notice- or consent-type requirements," Lofgren said.

WTF?

"Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California, chief sponsor of the bill"

Shall we look up her district and see why?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread