Question Newbie - HELP!!!
    Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum and desperately need some help but not sure if i'm in the right place for it.

I have just entered the world of online marketing and currently work for an agency in the uk. I have been set a challenge and i don't know where to begin.

The agency that i work for are considering becoming an affiliate but wanted to weigh up the pros and cons of doing this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and if i'm in the wrong place i apologize.

Thanks

Hello Anaf, your definately in the right place.

You'll want to utililize the search function to gain insight. The pros & cons of affiliate marketing are many ... and not something that you will be able to derive all answers from in a quick tour.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hi Anaf,

Welcome to ABW!

A good thread to read would be:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=magic+bullet

Good luck!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Anaf, welcome to ABW!

Quote Originally Posted by anaf
    The agency that i work for are considering becoming an affiliate but wanted to weigh up the pros and cons of doing this.
    Just to double-check: does the agency want to become an affiliate (someone who sells other people's/merchants' stuff, and gets commissions off the sales) or a merchant (someone who sells his/her own stuff through other people/affiliates)?

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Welcome anaf.

As Geno suggests could you please explain the business model you are considering a little better. The terminology can be confusing and is often misused. We can help much better if you do.

If you are just starting to learn may I recommend the Affiliate Masters Class or Geno's great book A Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing.

It's a horrible, ugly monster. Long hours & tons of stress, lots of technology, extremely high risk to your capital investment, mean & grumpy people, too much competition, late or no payment for services rendered, lots of un-kept promises, more failures than successes, constantly changing rules of engagement and just way too much partying at conferences. Stay away from it, otherwise it will completely consume your life and take everything with it...Stay away!

Sorry guys. Let me clarify this for you. The agency, which is an online marketing agency, actually wants to become an affiliate.

I'm trying to investigate if this would be worthwhile for us to do or not. As we have affiliate programs for different merchants, how would you, as an affiliate, feel knowing the merchants agency could become the competition?

If there's any merchants on this forum reading this, how would you feel knowing your agency are going to be affiliates for your program? Would you have a problem with this? If so, what and why?

Hope this clears things up for you.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As we have affiliate programs for different merchants, how would you, as an affiliate, feel knowing the merchants agency could become the competition?
    Competition?!
    (Freaky voice)
    DIE!

If you sign up as the affiliate of the same merchants you're trying to be "affiliate managers" for--that is NOT going to go over!!

If there's any merchants on this forum reading this, how would you feel knowing your agency are going to be affiliates for your program?
    Hm, at first I said "a sale's a sale" but now that I think of it more--I'd start to worry about whether aff code was going to get attached where it shouldn't be, and whether the *correct* affiliate was getting credit for other transactions.

It really is a conflict of interest, and asking for trouble. Some AM's going to be trusted to make sure that the right affiliate gets credit--when he's one of them?! I wouldn't trust that setup from either side. Too much temptation for shenanigans.

One thing-- the agency actually being an affiliate may help to bring clues to the affiliate-management department. Some agencies which have "affiliate program management" as one of their services really have no idea how things actually work.

But IMO you should avoid being the affiliate of the same programs the agency has other arrangements with. Choose unrelated merchants.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Oh BTW...I made a few edits to the above post. Hit refresh to make sure you get the most thought-through version.

Cool.

So you reckon it's ok as long as it's not a program we run?

I already thought that would be a big no no but thanks for the feedback.

So you reckon it's ok as long as it's not a program we run?
    Well, unless competitors are all going to wither up and die for me, as an aff I can't see any major difference whether the competition is an agency or just some Joe.

One more thing--as a merchant, I would have concerns if you decided to promote a merchant who's in the same category as I am in. Conflict of interest again. I wouldn't want to be having to out-compete my own agency. But if you promoted some unrelated kind of merchant, then no probs.

You probably already figured that, too, but I'm saying it just in case.

Thanks Leader.

You've been a great help

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    It's very hard to be a good merchant if you haven't been an affiliate. That's the only way you can truly understand the relationship and the networks for that matter.

I think you'd find very few good merchants who didn't have an affiliate account where they sign up with all of their competition. It's probably not talked about much but them's the facts man.

I was always amazed at how lame most of my competitions' affiliate programs usually were.

I think Leader covered all the main points.

Getting paid by a client to market them, and then also getting paid as an affiliate would come across a little like double dipping, but other programs would not be a problem.

If your relationship with your clients is such that you're not allowed to promote other clients in the same industry, then look for unrelated programs. Even if not stated explicitly, it might be best to stay clear of related programs anyway. Contracts are contracts, but keeping clients happy isn't always black & white.

Beyond that, no problem. If your firm knows marketing, you'd make a welcome addition to most affiliate programs. I can't imagine a program not wanting marketing talent in their program, but some AMs are just plain weird...

Best of luck!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread