Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    House Approves Bill to Combat Spyware
    The House passed legislation Tuesday to combat the criminal use of Internet spyware and scams aimed at stealing personal information from computer users.

Chicago Tribune Story
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

ABW Ambassador
    From reading that it appears that the House has approved things like this in the past but:

"Similar bills have been approved by the House in past sessions of Congress, but have yet to clear the Senate."

And then this part:
    "The measure approves $10 million a year over the next four years to help the Justice Department fight other computer scams such as "phishing" -- the use of fake e-mails or Web sites to trick consumers into providing bank account, credit card or other personal information -- and "pharming," "

10 million? That's not a taking it very serious type of number. Tells me they're still not understanding what kind of problem this really is.

Yep, I agree with Trust 100%.
    A lot of bark with no real bite.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Tells me they're still not understanding what kind of problem this really is.
    But they're faking like they understand it well...

"She and other lawmakers cited estimates that up to 90 percent of computers in this country are infected with some form of spyware."

if 90% of the people had broken down front doors resulting from burgulars in the house, i'm sure they'd spend more than $10m.

Internet Cowboy
    $10 million will buy the US Gov't two Dell Dimension computers and a midrange UPS unit.

Seriously, I am glad to see them at least thinking about it, but as long as we have members of Congress on committees that are supposed to be dealing with tech issues like the brilliant Ted Stevens (a complete, blithering idiot), nothing of any value will get done.

My mini-rant is over. Back to creating more "streaming stuff"

here's the bill:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-1525

i do like the part where if the spyware impairs the security protection of the computer, they're baked.

ABW Ambassador
    I think their grandchildren or children (or their interns) might have a better grasp on what's happening. The average age of Reps is 56, Senate 60.

Here are the specifics with detail on what they consider personal inormation. Remember these are the same people who thought cookies could be spywear in the past....i wonder what they would think of javascrpit data mining?

full details here http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:H.R.1525:

summary
    Internet Spyware (I-SPY) Prevention Act of 2007 - Amends the federal criminal code to prohibit intentionally accessing a protected computer without authorization, or exceeding authorized access, by causing a computer program or code to be copied onto the protected computer, and intentionally using that program or code: (1) in furtherance of another federal criminal offense; (2) to obtain or transmit personal information (including a Social Security number or other government-issued identification number, a bank or credit card number, or an associated password or access code) with intent to defraud or injure a person or cause damage to a protected computer; or (3) to impair the security protection of that computer.

Prohibits any person from bringing a civil action under state law premised upon the defendant's violating this Act.

Provides that this Act does not prohibit any lawfully authorized investigative, protective, or intelligence activity of a law enforcement agency or a U.S. intelligence agency.

Authorizes appropriations to the Attorney General for prosecutions needed to discourage the use of spyware and the practices called phishing and pharming.

Expresses the sense of Congress that the Department of Justice should vigorously prosecute those who use spyware to commit crimes and those that conduct phishing and pharming scams.

(1) the terms `protected computer' and `exceeds authorized access' have, respectively, the meanings given those terms in section 1030; and

(2) the term `personal information' means--

(A) a first and last name;

(B) a home or other physical address, including street name;

(C) an electronic mail address;

(D) a telephone number;

(E) a Social Security number, tax identification number, drivers license number, passport number, or any other government-issued identification number; or

(F) a credit card or bank account number or any password or access code associated with a credit card or bank account.

It's important to note even if they successfully combat spyware with little resources they have allocated, they will not consider Youpromise, eBites and such as a spyware.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Even the House does something right every once in a while! This is a good first step. Now all we need is the other part of the equation - - - enforcement.

Hopefully the appropriate agencies will come down hard on enough of these people that it will at least deter the practices to some degree. Any improvement would be a positive step forward. Of course, we've had laws in place for many years that make identity theft and other acts of larceny a crime, be it offline or online. But perhaps Congress is finally realizing just how widespread these crimes have become on the internet.

At any rate, I applaud the house for taking this step forward and hope it will do some good.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I sure hope they understand the technology well enough to enforce this. For example what if a Nigerian is running zombie IP's to exploit susceptible, innocent webservers by uploading phishing sites? If your server isn't secure somebody could upload a Paypal or Wells Fargo phishing site and start using your server to collect email addresses and email fake notices to users. I'm willing to bet this happens all the time on US servers. Who's to blame and how do we find them? It'll probably take more than $10m to figure this out.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - edited -

- biting my tongue -
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I'm not sure they get it. Was there a concious decision for not including other parasiteware in the mix?

The public is scared of phishing and identity theft sure, but the public is actually a lot more affected by the rest of the parasites. Be nice if our reps cottoned on to that...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I don't think they are concerned with one business having the "upper hand" so to speak on cookie freshness as they are about straight out fraud.

There are plenty of retailers that work with clean affiliates...it's a business choice just that. If a computer has a cookie overwritten, but no personal information is exchanged then there is nothing that is wrong (as far as this is concerned)...no intent to defraud.

The bigger question i see is for the affiliates using the java type links, as none of us know what information is being exchanged on any of the networks. If any network is extracting personal information in excess of what is allowed how would we ever know. Would this then lead the long arm of the law to us?
    Last edited by mrbshouse; May 23rd, 2007 at 04:01 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    >If any network is extracting personal information in excess of what is allowed how would we ever know.

Some folks can READ the java code & see the calls it makes.

MCT

can you point me to a place of higher learning on this subject ;-)

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread