Dell Affiliate Program - how many sales are you losing?
    My friend who I have been partners with for many years just made me aware that he had a missing sale for Dell.com. He did everything he needed to do via Linkshare to try to find the missing sale and why he didn't get commission. After waiting for about a month he found out that the sale showed up as "not commissionable". He then called Linkshare and was told that the sale was commissioned to another affiliate. The funny thing is, his sister made the purchase. He made sure that her cache and cookies were cleared and that she didn't put anything in her basket etc and helped her make the purchase. She used his affiliate link but another affiliate got the credit.

After hearing that another affiliate somehow got his commission for the sale he emailed Dell through their affiliates link 3-4 times over a months time asking them to respond saying that he disputed this and Dell never responded. He then contacted a manager at Linkshare I guess who is the Dell affiliate manager for Linkshare and we said he would try to get to the bottom of this. The Linkshare manager called him and said that Dell refuses to give any information about this to him and will not even tell him what kind of website or affiliate got the commission and there is nothing he could do.

I do ok with Dell on my website and it seems like I should be getting more sales with them especially with all the promotions they offer. Now I am questioning their practices and questioning if I am missing any sales. From my understanding if someone clicks on a Dell.com link on your website and then while on the Dell website they click on "small business", you will not get commission for any sales after that point. How convenient is that? Instead of having Dell Small Business and Dell.com affiliates on the same network, they can save a decent percentage of commissions by having this practice. This isn't what happened in his case though. Another affiliate somehow got the commission and Dell will not respond or even give Linkshare any info about this.

We both have affiliate sites and we work together and help each other out. He has had his site for a few years longer than mine and got me into all of this. He is keeping Dell on his site but I have removed from my site for now. I am trying to find out if others have any similar problems or experiences with Dell.

ABW Ambassador
    I have no experience with Dell, but I wanted to comment that some of what you have posted doesn't add up.

First you said the sale reported as not commissionable but then you said Linkshare said it was credited to a different affiliate. If it was credited to a different affiliate, it would not show up on your friend's account at all. And if Linkshare says it was credited to a different affiliate, Linkshare knows who that affiliate is.

Are there any links to Dell Small Business on the Linkshare landing pages for Dell Home and Office?

The primary reason that you might be losing sales is the 1 day cookie. For such a major purchase, I think it is quite likely that the sale would be completed more than a day after the buyer clicks on your affiliate link in most cases. Add to that, I've heard that Dell is a very slow pay. Unless you have a lot of computer buying traffic, I can't imagine that they are really worth promoting.

Dell is 3 months behind on pay.

Stealware?

Missing sales
    Hello!!! I am not sure if it is the same issue here. However, I have found that the affiliate link tracking stops when you log in from lets say Dell.com and select another country from their links. For example I had links for Dell.ca and Dell.com therefore if you logged in from Dell.ca and made a purchase from Dell.com, I wouldn't get credited. After many tries I gave up and closed my account with Dell. There are many that way, like PC direct etc....

Bernie

Snowman,

In his reports nothing showed up at all. No sign of a sale. The only way he knew there was a sale missing is because his own sister made the purchase and he walked her through the sale since she isn't very computer literate. This is what is concerning me. How many of my sales from my visitors aren't "showing up" or are getting credited to other "affiliates" that I have no idea about and no way to track?

As far as Dell Small Business, I believe they are with Befree or CJ and have nothing to do with Linkshare at all. He told me that she clicked on the link and made the purchase right there and then so I don't think this is an expired cookie issue. If it was then I think it would show up in his reports as a non-commissionable sale.

I do think that Linkshare has a way to find out what affiliate got credit, but they told him they don't. I told him to call the rep back and try to fight it, but I don't think he is going to.

------

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I have no experience with Dell, but I wanted to comment that some of what you have posted doesn't add up.

First you said the sale reported as not commissionable but then you said Linkshare said it was credited to a different affiliate. If it was credited to a different affiliate, it would not show up on your friend's account at all. And if Linkshare says it was credited to a different affiliate, Linkshare knows who that affiliate is.

Are there any links to Dell Small Business on the Linkshare landing pages for Dell Home and Office?

The primary reason that you might be losing sales is the 1 day cookie. For such a major purchase, I think it is quite likely that the sale would be completed more than a day after the buyer clicks on your affiliate link in most cases. Add to that, I've heard that Dell is a very slow pay. Unless you have a lot of computer buying traffic, I can't imagine that they are really worth promoting.

ABW Ambassador
    In your original post, you said "the sale showed up as 'not commissionable.'" Now you are saying it didn't show up at all.

I asked if there are any links to Dell Small Business on the Linkshare landing pages for Dell Home and Office. I didn't ask if there were affiliate links. If Dell isn't diverting traffic from one site to the other, it shouldn't be an issue.

Snowman,

I see what you mean. He did a missing sale inquiry on Linkshare or whatever it's called, and I just asked him via email to clarify exactly what it said. He said it was listed as "Denied : Not a Valid Referral Sale" when he did the missing sale inquiry. So since he knew he should have received credit for the sale he called Linkshare and they are the ones that said that another affiliate got commission for the sale.

The sale never showed up in any report he said. He got all the info he needed from his sister and did a missing sales report thing on Linkshare. When I said it showed up as 'not commissionable', I meant in the place in linkshare where you try to find a missing sale. At no time did the sale show up in any sales report or non commissionable sales report etc. Sorry it I wasn't clear. I didn't have the exact details, but only what he explained over the phone to me. "Denied : Not a Valid Referral Sale" with no explaination is not acceptable since 99.9% of the time sales are made through all of our sites by people we don't know and can't prove they made a sale or have no info to even do a missing sales report.

I think Dell should at least explain how this other affiliate got the commission. He said he has her order number, a copy of her receipt, totals, items she purchased, dates and times of the order, and showed this to Dell and Linkshare and they both wouldn't even tell him who got the commission.

And to answer your other question....When I use my Dell affiliate link, the landing page doesn't have a small business link that I can see. If you click on 'USA' at the top it brings me to a page that lists small business.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    In your original post, you said "the sale showed up as 'not commissionable.'" Now you are saying it didn't show up at all.

I asked if there are any links to Dell Small Business on the Linkshare landing pages for Dell Home and Office. I didn't ask if there were affiliate links. If Dell isn't diverting traffic from one site to the other, it shouldn't be an issue.

Your friend's sister probably has spyware.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Your friend's sister probably has spyware.
    If she does, that would likely explain why Linkshare refuses to identify which affiliate was credited for the sale.

Linkshare does not reveal the name of the other affiliate due to privacy and confidentiality. There are alwasy nondisclosure clauses in all contracts. I have encountered this before.

Was there a coupon or discount code used? If there was a code they pulled from somewhere, that could cause this as well.

I thought of that too when he said he didn't get credit for her sale. No, there wasn't any coupon used. It could be spyware or some cookie trick or something. I don't know. I understand that this stuff happens and any of us can lose a sale or many sales because spyware or another affiliate doing something sneaky etc. But what bothers me about all of this is that Linkshare has the "there's nothing we can do" attitude (which probably is true), and Dell has the "we're holding all the info, don't ask questions, non responding" attitude. As affiliates we have very little control and place a lot of trust in the merchants that they are giving us credit for our sales. When reports are not up to date or don't seem right, we have to have good communication with the merchant and TRUST that what they are telling us is correct. But when they say nothing at all and won't even communicate at all with the affiliate... I think the trust is broken. I talked to him again about this last night and he said that his sister has purchased dozens of things from his website over the years and this is the first time he hasn't got credit for the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by skishore2006
    Linkshare does not reveal the name of the other affiliate due to privacy and confidentiality. There are alwasy nondisclosure clauses in all contracts. I have encountered this before.

Was there a coupon or discount code used? If there was a code they pulled from somewhere, that could cause this as well.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    MartinLaw,
    Without knowing your account and looking into this issue, I would recommend that you email DellHome @ linkshare.com. I will notify the Dell Account Manager so they are aware of this post.

Ranae

To Linkshare Moderator
    Linkshare Moderator,

It isn't my account. It is my friend's account. He said he emailed that address 3-4 times over the last month and not a single response or explanation on why this could have happened. He even tried to get a manager at Linkshare to have Dell contact him about this and they will not. I guess the reason I am so pissed is that they are holding all the info and we just have to trust that Dell is paying us all out like they should be, and fairly.

I can only imagine how I would feel if I had my mother or best friend purchase a real expensive Dell Laptop, use my affiliate link right in front of my face, then never see the sale show up in my reports, and then have Dell treat me this way with out any call or explanation. I would expect this from some new startup merchant like 5-6 years ago, but not from Dell.

I will IM my friend with this URL and have him read what is being said. I will also tell him to email Dell again if you think that will help him.

Quote Originally Posted by options
    Stealware?
    What is stealware?

ABW Ambassador
    Does your friend's Linkshare ID have a non-alphanumeric character in it? If so, you'll want to follow the discussion at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=91375

Not sure - But problem solved... he ended up getting credit for the sale
    I don't know if there is or not. That is interesting. I will bring that to his attention. But as a follow up, I just talked to my friend over the phone tonight and he told me that he finally had someone from Dell contact him after nearly 3 months. I guess he emailed Dell Small Business and complained about Dell Home and they forwarded his email to a Dell home rep. He was a little pissed to find out that a Linkshare manager who supposedly called Dell to look into this never called them at all. After Dell looked into it, he ended up getting credit for the sale. Dell didn't know why he didn't automatically get credit for the sale. But it sounded like Linkshare is the one who dropped the ball big time.

Why would a Linkshare manager pretend to call Dell to look into this? The contact email he sent all the emails to was a Linkshare email.... dellhome@linkshare.com (the same email the linkshare moderator in this thread said is the correct email to use). The Linkshare moderator from this thread said she would notify the Dell Account Manager of this post
    on May 25th it looks like. But no one from Linkshare contacted or responded to him.

Why would linkshare repeatedly ignore these emails and not even respond back? He said the Dell rep was surprised and concerned to know that that no on responded to him when he emailed that email address. But the Dell rep totally took care of him he said, and this is the first time Dell even heard of the problem. I wonder if this is a Linkshare Dell Account Manager issue.... or just a Linkshare issue.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not surprised. See my post from earlier this month at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=90987 I'm really surprised that no one responded.

All of the issues reported recently with Linkshare are quite disturbing and their customer service is virtually non-existent.

ABW Ambassador
    I ordered a new Dell Desktop yesterday, it's showing today, so it tracked fine.

I was rereading this thread, and a few things come to mind here. You said your friend emailed Dell Small Business, why? Is that where the order was placed?

That would make sense to me, especially since your friend used the Linkshare missing transaction inquiry and the response was Denied : Not a Valid Referral Sale.

This happened to me twice recently, two people went through my Dell Home Links, and no credit in reports. I submitted both to the missing transaction tool, and the response on both had that same reason. I received an answer from the Linkshare Dell rep, who told me that they were both placed at Dell Small Business, therefore no commission was paid. That is just the way it works.

And, even when Dell Small Business was on Linkshare a few years back, it worked the same way. The two programs were separate, almost like two separate companies, and there was no commission paid if someone bought a Dell small bus computer using Dell home links and the reverse was true as well.

When you use the Dell Home links, you land on a Dell home page. There are no links to Dell Small Business. You actually have to navigate back a few pages to find the links to Dell Small Business.

I have had Dell Home on my site for more than 8 years and have had very few tracking problems.

skishore2006,

He emailed Dell Small Business for a unrelated issue. When they replied he mentioned that he wasn't too pleased with Dell and the DSB manager emailed the Dell Home rep. And I'm sure it doens't happen too much that someone buys a DSB computer through a Dell Home link and vice versa. This isn't what happened in his situation.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    No matter how anyone tries to justify this one, it's ugly. Let Dell sell their own stuff. They treat affiliates like crap, bottom line.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread