ABW Ambassador
    Discovery Closing Down Their Brick And Mortar Stores
    Discovery decides it doesn’t need stores to reach consumers on Planet Earth

http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=22445

Focus more on selling on the internet:

“By eliminating our owned and operated brick-and-mortar storefronts, which are cost-intensive and complicated businesses, Discovery can focus its efforts on high-growth, e-commerce and licensing operations,” says David Zaslav, who took over as president and CEO of Discovery in January."

"But the company will put its focus on selling merchandise via the Internet, television and catalog. The primary web site, Discoverystore.com, gets 12 million unique visitors a year, and e-commerce sales are up 144% this year over last, the company says. Discovery says it posted record e-commerce growth and sales last year, but does not disclose those results"

I think the next store to do this is the Gap - Have you seen anyone in one lately?
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The Gap is still building new stores. I think before investors let that happen they will replace the top brass.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Gap??? Maybe but their baby gap biz is growing

My vote is for Sharper Image. They have been in trouble for the last 16 months
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

We were heartbroken to see our local Discovery store shut down recently, but I will have to admit. We went in and played with stuff, left and never bought anything, lol! It is OUR FAULT, WHAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. The shame.

As long as people want instant gratification the internet wont take over all brick and mortor stores. I think the internet is designed for certain merchants with certain products to thrive on, but people still like to get out and shop the "old fashioned" way.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    We were heartbroken to see our local Discovery store shut down recently, but I will have to admit. We went in and played with stuff, left and never bought anything, lol! It is OUR FAULT, WHAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. The shame.
    I think that is the case with Sharper Image as they sure have some neat toys (i mean stuff)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    As long as people want instant gratification the internet wont take over all brick and mortor stores. I think the internet is designed for certain merchants with certain products to thrive on, but people still like to get out and shop the "old fashioned" way.
    I don't LIKE to shop the "old fashioned" way, but there is indeed the rare occasion that I don't want to wait for shipping. And I'm not going to pay some place $24.95 or more extra for express, so in those cases, I tolerate going to the physical store.

But that happens maybe once or twice a year. At all other times, I much prefer to have stuff delivered!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread