ABW Ambassador
    OpenDNS Accuses Dell, Google Of Spyware
    http://www.webpronews.com/insiderrep...gle-of-spyware

What do you think? As far as the toolbar, I guess it has something to do what I started noticing around last year or the year before. I have the Google Toolbar and have MSN as my home page. If I shut down my computer or just restart it, I have SpywareGuard popup and tell me my home page is trying to be reset to Google.com.

take it a step furture

clear all your cookies close and reopen your browser and check your cookies or better yet type in any term in the the url window and see where your taken....then take a look at who is number 1 in google ;-)

On my computer google controls firefox and msn controls IE so what do i control...it's my frigen computer!

Internet Cowboy
    Two words.
    MyWay Toolbar.

It's been happening at Dell for years.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Here's a little story about it:
    http://www.gadgetizer.com/2006/02/10...aling-traffic/
    A guy with a dell owns a website (lie many of us own websites). When he visits his own site with the www prefix, all is well. When he types in domain.com, in the address bar, without the www prefix, the myway search bar fires up and takes him to a page displaying google ads.

The people buying those ads via G's content network are getting screwed - the computer owner knows where they want to go and it's not the ads, even if a few will click on them. The person owning the computer is getting screwed, their computer is slowed by spying apps running in the background and their browser goes places it wants to visit, without being told to do so. Google, Dell and MyWay are all generating profits from it.

And oh yeah, the site owner is getting screwed here too - where did his type-in traffic go? Dell stole it and monetized it.

Dell should just come out and say...

we plan to monetize you long after the sale by delivering ads to your computer screen. it'll slow down your computer, deliver ads you didn't ask for, or expect, or need, but it's very good for Dell, so we're doing it. we also made it hard to identify, find and remove the application, cause we know you'll want to keep it. we don't believe you really own a computer just because you bought it from us, it's more like you bought a perpetual ad machine that lets you also do some other things, when there's spare cpu cycles for a little human initiated activity. it's such a great idea, everyone just loves and adores it! it fixes a huge "problem" that users had using the browser before now.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Dell should just come out and say...we plan to monetize you long after the sale by delivering ads to your computer screen. it'll slow down your computer, deliver ads you didn't ask for, or expect, or need, but it's very good for Dell, so we're doing it. we also made it hard to identify, find and remove the application, cause we know you'll want to keep it. we don't believe you really own a computer just because you bought it from us, it's more like you bought a perpetual ad machine that lets you also do some other things, when there's spare cpu cycles for a little human initiated activity. it's such a great idea, everyone just loves and adores it! it fixes a huge "problem" that users had using the browser before now.
    Wow D-Man.... Dell should have you as their PR guy! You make it sound so logical!! Here I so naively thought that "I" should control my computer and where it visits. But then you totally bowl me over with a logical explanation of why I am not capable or qualified enough to decide where I want to visit or what gets installed on my computer. I feel so embarrassed by my prior narrow view regarding rightful control of my machine...

How could I be so selfish!!?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    How could I be so selfish!!?
    We're not sure, but we think we have a program you can download that will analyze things you do and figure it out for you. It's free and you definitely need it. In moments of weakness, you may try to uninstall it, no worries, got you covered there too. We're just here to help you.

I heard Dell is now offering a mind controlled computer mouse - what an advancement!!!! They keep showing you ads and auto-clicking on things until you buy something using the keyboard, then they know they found the thing you wanted to point to in the first place. It's winning awards and saving consumers loads and loads of time! And no more mouse finger strain injuries! Yeah Dell, our savior!!!

Dell offers antispyware packages for every system. Anyone wonder if they've prearranged to make sure their shitware doesn't get removed?

My mom called me today, just by chance - she had a computer question for me. She's so frustrated with her PC that she's considering buying a Mac computer for the first time ever.

I have always told people to get a PC. Today, I told her to buy a Mac. The first person I've ever recomended this way. Most people are one or the other, by habit I suppose.

She's getting the 15" macbook pro (laptop). She is SICK of her PC screwing her with spyware, adware, theftware and slowware.

I'm not a microsoft hater, really not a hater by nature. But the PC may be on the way to killing itself from bloated egos, most outside of microsoft, who are arguing about who owns the desktop via bho... and they don't mention the owner of the machine much anymore.

Dell, i stopped recommending you years ago because of the myway shitbar you install.
    you've lost your way and are no longer the leading pc seller.
    today, i have just one thing left to say to you...

yousuckbiggreasydonkeyballs.

Refreshing to see David's run down and solution to this particular issue. Danny Sullivan also has a post about it here.

I've always wondered when the current spyware battle will move beyond the current détente, so to have OpenDNS/EveryDNS take a hammer to this is a very pleasant surprise.

If the old school network operators (like those at nanog) support this, it could mean significant work ahead for spyware marketers.

Tuan

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    we plan to monetize you long after the sale by delivering ads to your computer screen. it'll slow down your computer, deliver ads you didn't ask for, or expect, or need, but it's very good for Dell, so we're doing it. we also made it hard to identify, find and remove the application, cause we know you'll want to keep it. we don't believe you really own a computer just because you bought it from us, it's more like you bought a perpetual ad machine that lets you also do some other things, when there's spare cpu cycles for a little human initiated activity. it's such a great idea, everyone just loves and adores it! it fixes a huge "problem" that users had using the browser before now.
    It;s no different from the questionable programs out there.
    That being said, I think Dell has it covered that the user agrees to use that program somewhere when you check and click, "I agree to purchase the PC", they inserted a clause saying that when you buy their PC, you agree to use the software along with the other AD serving programs.

Dell packs a PC with lots of software that slows down your PC. Whenever I get a PC from Dell, HP or whatever, I low level the HD and install the OS, Virus scanner and firewall. That is all I need. Other applications like AOL, Netzero, and 5 other dial up software is not required on the new PC.

In terms of pricing, you can't beat them is you are sourcing parts yourself.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Another reason I won't buy a Dell.

I have the Google Toolbar and have MSN as my home page. If I shut down my computer or just restart it, I have SpywareGuard popup and tell me my home page is trying to be reset to Google.com.
    G's bar has never tried to reset my home page (it's CJ).

I think there's some option hidden that allows that autochange to be set/deset. But that's just for the real Google toolbar as dl'd directly from G, not some tricked-up thing that Dell put on. And I could be wrong...this computer doesn't have the latest version of the G-bar, so I'm going by memory.

One thing I did find out about this computer (it's the old one) is that Hotbar comes up in the log files of my sites when I visit 'em, even though I "uninstalled" it years ago and even sicced AdAware on it at the time...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have a Dell. So it has to be something Google and I remember at the time some people posting saying it was the Google Toolbar. And it started about the time of a new version of the Toolbar was being pushed out.

We're not sure, but we think we have a program you can download that will analyze things you do and figure it out for you. It's free and you definitely need it. In moments of weakness, you may try to uninstall it, no worries, got you covered there too. We're just here to help you.
    LMAO D-Dude!!! You've always got an answer, and such a sensible one too. Thanks for covering my back Dellnuts.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Dell, i stopped recommending you years ago because of the myway shitbar you install.
    you've lost your way and are no longer the leading pc seller.
    today, i have just one thing left to say to you...yousuckbiggreasydonkeyballs.
    But what I want to know is: who greased the donkey's yarbles?

Internet Cowboy
    My next computer will be a Mac.

ABW Ambassador
    My computer IS A MAC

Bought Ruth Ann a PC one day when I was mad at her.

I'm now SO SORRY

More "do no evil" bullshit...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...2&page=4&pp=25
    post #89
    post is about G's treatment of videos in serps - not nice either - more traffic stealing type stuff.

Someday I need to spend more time with Donuts. Seriously.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Switched to macs about 5 years ago and I've never looked back. You won't regret it...the things last longer too!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread