Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Who coined OPM?
    Who coined the term OPM (Outsourced Program Management) in the affiliate marketing industry? I don't think it's descriptive of the concept it refers.

So, I suggest we call it "Outsourced Affiliate Management", or OAM, and we call the profession "Outsorced Affiliate Manager".

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Al Gore
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Hehe.

Both are acceptable, IMHO.

OAM is probably better, but OPM is widely known.

I doubt it will change overall. The SEO folks still hate the term SEO, don't they?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

bush sr
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

ABW Ambassador
    to me OPM, means investing with "Other Peoples Money". I just can't get Outsourced Program Management to stick in my head.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Who coined the term OPM (Outsourced Program Management) in the affiliate marketing industry? I don't think it's descriptive of the concept it refers.So, I suggest we call it "Outsourced Affiliate Management", or OAM, and we call the profession "Outsorced Affiliate Manager".
    Sam Bay, Good thought and question. I agree with you, not sure why you are personally asking for the change but myself have seen a few affiliate managers listed as an OPM and know of one OPM that is really working direct inhouse with a merchant so, could get confusing.

I've been wondering that for years and being an OPM have had various thoughts on that term usage myself. I'm an OPM, imagine describing that to someone off-line, the first thing they think of is "Other Peoples Money", like in Real Estate terms. LOL

I like the terms you suggested and for keywords usage even better, but think also having the word 'Program' needs to be in there too. I've used 'Affiliate Program Management' but I also like the word 'Outsourced' in there too. Perhaps OAPM 'Outsourced Affiliate Program Management'. Now I'm really making it worse. LOL

Outsourced Program Management - This is a good term because the program is being managed as a whole, not just the affiliate aspect of it. Example: most OPMs may manage the search, consult with the client and teach how to work the program long term and other aspects like recruiting and managing the program through the network.

Outsourced Affiliate Management - This is a good term, but it's missing something and I guess it's because I am used to the word 'Program' in there.

Outsourced Affiliate Manager - Not sure, affiliates don't like being managed, even though we have Inhouse Affiliate Managers, (IAM, there's another one for ya) and I don't want to be the manager, brings back memories of working 80hrs per week, getting paid for 40 and the threaded scheduled Monday morning meetings and meeting monthly deadlines.

I await other's ideas, thoughts and suggestions too.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Sam Bay,

I am almost 100% certain that Andy Rodriguez coined this phrase. I hope this helps.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Talking
    @ OAM Jorge,

Sure, the term has been used so much, it sounds natural. But, it's not!
    What good is an Affiliate Marketing abbreviation without the word affiliate in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Both are acceptable, IMHO.

OAM is probably better, but OPM is widely known.

I doubt it will change overall. The SEO folks still hate the term SEO, don't they?
    OAM Noth, please read your own signature with this thread in mind. Notice something?
    I don't know who's bothered by the term SEO, it makes perfect sense whether it's used as "Search Engine Optimization" or "Search Engine Optimizer".

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio-ARC
    Sam Bay,

I am almost 100% certain that Andy Rodriguez coined this phrase. I hope this helps.
    Thank you, OAM Emilio. That makes sense. This is great; now that we know the pundit, we can make him undo his "mistake".

Ok, who's with me?

http and a telephoto
    Since we are still explaining it to people, why confuse it with even more variations?

I just like being called a consultant
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Spot on Sam. I recognize both as being acceptable, so I include both in the signature, especially since one is the name of my companyat the moment.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

It seems kind of odd not having "Affiliate" in the acronymn, but it's really not a big deal. There are people who want to change "Affiliate Marketing" to something else (like "Performance Based Marketing") because "affiliate" isn't well understood by those outside the industry. I don't think it really matters.

I agree with the term "Outsourced Affiliate Manager" even less, though. An OPM doesn't manage "affiliates". We're not manageable, and are often quite resistant to attempts to do so. We're independent contractors. An OPM manages the program, not affiliates.

If we were voting, my vote would be to keep it as it is: OPM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    What Michael said I manage Programs, not affiliates
    Deborah Carney

OAMs manage the "affiliate program" aspect of retailer's overall marketing efforts. So it makes more sense to refer to that phrase as "affiliate" than "program".

And, OAMs or in-house ones manage both the program and the affiliates. For example, if a manager decides that affiliates should not bid on merchant's trademarked keywords, s/he is managing the program. If that manager kicks out the affiliate who insist on bidding on the trademarks, s/he is managing the affiliate.

You can keep saying "affiliates are not manageable" if it boosts your ego, but that's just not the case.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Andy coined it from what I remember... one day he just started using this term that nobody else understood... I think we all eventually caught on.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Internet Cowboy
    While we are making lingo changes, can we add CPA network to the list?

Shareasale is a CPA network.

Azoogle is a Sub-Affiliate CPA network.

BIG difference!

Good point in stating we don't manage affiliates. I guess I was looking at "affiliate" in a slightly different context. More of a concept than a person.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    While we are making lingo changes, can we add CPA network to the list?

Shareasale is a CPA network.

Azoogle is a Sub-Affiliate CPA network.

BIG difference!
    Shareasale considers itself a CPA network, rather than an Affiliate Network?

I think of CPA Networks as those powered by Direct Track (and some others), and many of them seem to try and brand themselves as Affiliate Networks, rather than CPA Networks.

How can anybody outside of the industry make sense of this? I can't keep track of it.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I think of CPA Networks as those powered by Direct Track (and some others), and many of them seem to try and brand themselves as Affiliate Networks, rather than CPA Networks.
    Heck CPA is the most ill used term around at present, for me I consider CPA to be Lead Gen networks, so not ShareAsale, To me Shareasale is an Affiliate Network, Azoogle and co are CPA networks

OPM wise Andy or Haiko started using it first, I can't remember who

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I'm with Shawn. Mostly.

CPA means Cost Per Action, no matter how you break it down. And it what way is Shareasale not a cost per action network?

(BTW, this should be split off, although it has been discussed here previously.)

The layers definitely do make it confusing....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    We don't need the word affiliate...

according to CJ... I'm a publisher

ABW Ambassador
    At the beginning I would get confused about OPM and affiliage manager.

On a side note, not a positive one. Sometimes merchants would hire OPM just for awhile and them move on, so would I. I would think there was some kind of issue/problem.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Heck CPA is the most ill used term around at present, for me I consider CPA to be Lead Gen networks, so not ShareAsale, To me Shareasale is an Affiliate Network, Azoogle and co are CPA networks

OPM wise Andy or Haiko started using it first, I can't remember who Cheers Chris
    Actually, the term "Outsourced Program Management" (OPM) has been a term that industries of all types have used for many decades. The government has also had outsourced program management (i.e. Halliburton, Rockwell etc) in place since the 50's. Dept of defense, education, transportation etc etc and many many others in the private and public (offline) sectors have also used the moniker for outsourced services for many years.

However, in the aff marketing community, it has come to have a "somewhat" diffferent meaning. But the original descriptive term has been around since before I was born (about the time cars replaced horses)

While we're on that topic though, another one is "CPA". For probably the last 100 years or more, CPA meant (and continues to mean) Cost Per Acquisition. But to us online marketers it has come to have another meaning.

At least there is ONE word that I am comfortable with the origin - because it was ME who invented it. I invented the word "the"!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    On a side note, not a positive one. Sometimes merchants would hire OPM just for awhile and them move on, so would I. I would think there was some kind of issue/problem.
    Sometimes OPM's only want to consult to kickstart or for recruiting and move on even though there aren't problems. That is why I prefer to be called a consultant, some jobs are not meant to be long term.
    Deborah Carney

Give me a profession. I'm getting tired of having to describe to family, friends and neighbors what I do for a living. It takes a half an hour and I don't know what to call it. I need a title.

My explanation usually goes like this:

Them: What do you do for a living?

Me: I own a bunch of websites and I try to generate traffic for them and make commissions on affiliate sales and sign-ups.

Them: What's an affiliate?

Me: It's where companies pay me for referring customers to them.

Them: They pay for that? So you design websites for people?

Me: No, I design websites for myself, but I make my living by promoting them and getting people to visit them.

Them: How do you do that? Tell your friends about them?

Me: No, I do SEO and SEM.... oh, never mind... I try to get my site at the top of google, yahoo etc. either in the natural results or paid results.

Them: Which ones are the paid results?

Me: The ones on the top and right... you know, the ones you click on over and over and over again when you are just browsing.

Them: Where's your office?

Me: In front of the TV.

Them: What's your website called?

Me: Right now I have a couple hundred, but believe me... you've never heard of any of them.

.... and on and on it goes.

ABW Ambassador
    "Sometimes OPM's only want to consult to kickstart or for recruiting and move on even though there aren't problems."

I know. I think I prefer dedicated affiliate managers tho. I understand how it works now but in the past I would see affiliate managers/opm with a program and then a couple of months later they're gone. And I was thinking either the opm stopped because there was a problem with the merchant or the other way around. And sometimes programs have just turned to ...... after they left. I think you can have someone kickstart or use them on a permanent basis or get someone dedicated to the program. You can use someone to kickstart the program and then months down the line the affiliate might try to contact the kickstarter and they're no longer with the merchant. Just doesn't look good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast