Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation What do you do on a long drive?
    Right,

This discussion was started with one of our clients. When she was growing up she didn't have a a dvd player (obviously) or really anything to entertain her so she played games like Countryside bingo, I spy and Licence plate tag.

I myself (when I was young) was an I spy kind of kid but I had one of those mothers that had an extremely wide vocabulary so I was stuck guessing until I found the answer which would invariably be something like 'flora' or 'cumulus'.

I would like some other games, preferably more inventive than mine that people played when they were young.

Keep them coming!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I thought I'd give you a hand and searched for "car trip games." I found this web site http://www.momsminivan.com/ and noticed they have an affiliate program which I am definitely going to check out. (Althought somebody should tell "Mom" she needs to take all the advertising off her site if she's serious about affiliate marketing.)

It's nice to be rewarded for doing a good deed!

Thanks Rhea,

I laughed so loud when I saw there was a counting Cows section, good work

Listen to music really, really, really loud.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Hi North,

Not bad, doesn't beat the cows though. But if you listened to music really load and couldn't hear police sirens then that would be really cool.

thanks for that

I stopped playing car ride games when the kids grew up, but we still travel quite a bit and I have a one hour tolerance for being captive in the passenger seat. So, in no particular order:

I whine.
    I point out rest area signs.
    I manipulate Dave into thinking he's hungry for ice cream (actually, this is easier than whining).
    I twitch and react to every driving manuever he makes until he pulls over and says "Here, you drive and I'll work the imaginary brake".

Hope this helps your research.

Create spotting games for points, like first sightings of lighthouses or black/white cows or license tags from far away states. We used to play off the "Pee Wee Herman's Playhouse" word of the day and scream when we spotted the selected theme/word of the day.

Its dorky, yes, but fun!

Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Me and the girls always play slug bug and woody wood truck
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

We only took one road trip when I was growing up, and I can't remember what we did to pass the time. We probably played "He's on my side.. Mom, He's touching me!"

We take probably half a dozen road trips a year now, and here are some of the things we do:

1) The kids watch DVDs.
    2) My wife usually catches up on several dozen magazines that have accumulated since our last road trip.
    3) We have some mostly uninterrupted time to just talk.
    4) If I have a large amount of email to catch up on, sometimes I'll have my wife drive while I work through it.
    5) My wife likes to sleep on road trips.
    6) I like to listen to talk radio, but that usually doesn't happen because the kids are listening to DVDs and my wife is trying to read or sleep.
    7) I've started listening to MP3 audiobooks on trips.
    8) With larger groups, we sometimes play the alphabet game, where you look for the letters of the alphabet (in order) on signs, cars, license plates, billboards, etc. "A in Road Closed, B in Suburban, etc."
    9) I knew a couple who would read books aloud on road trips.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    When I was a kid our favorite things to do were play battleship (we had game sheets to play on) and singing songs. Which was hilarious because my mother was profoundly tone deaf but would sing-along anyway. Which would get us kids going and we'd start harmonizing but dissonantly. Which would cause one or all of the dogs to start howling. Eventually we'd have to pull over because somebody would be laughing so hard they had to get out to pee.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    When the boys were little, we would play a game identifying license plates from other states.

We'd also pick things along the way that were either geological, anthropological, or historical points of interest and talk about it. Some of those topics really lit the fire of the boys imaginations.

Nowadays, when Ellen and I take a long road trip, like our annual drive to FL, we listen to books on tape and have some great conversations about everything from inner evaluation to tennis.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

HAHA Michael, I can totally relate to your comments....after all, I was forever being sandwiched between my two older brother and being the baby, I had no say.....until i developed my toothie pegs!

Anyhow, we used to play...."Name a capitol city that begins with an A?" Easy enough until you get to X!!! Opps! That's when we changed channels to sport triva questions - "Who scored the most goals in the 1990 world cup?" Yikes!

Thanks for bringing back the memories Stephen.

Fina
    Sarafina
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    [B]Share Results Affiliate Network[/B]
    <a href="http://www.shareresults.com">http://www.shareresults.com</a>

Internet Cowboy
    On a trip that I have made many times, I listen to XM, usually talk.
    If it is a trip where I am in new territory, I often leave the radio off and look at the scenery. One of my favorite things to do is to drive through places where I have never been. Driving through FL, MS, AL, LA and TX generally bores me. There are not many places in those states that I have never been. When I drove from Dallas to Couer d' Alene Idaho last Spring, man that was a treat!

We used to eye spy except my younger sister was the worst at the game. She would say I spy with my little eye something beginning with "b". After about 20 guesses we would all give up and she would say the answer was a tree!

That game never lasted long on road trips in our family.
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

Kid's got video iPods, and I crank my tunes!
    I do prefer road trips alone so I can really crank it.

Ok,

Now we are getting somewhere

rgrsgrl - what is slug bug and woody wood truck?

MichaelColey - I started doing the whole audio book thing, but it got annoying when I went somewhere without my girlfriend and she would ask me to rewind (the nerve...)

But what I really like to do now is (when you have a few people and an mp3 player handy) is play 'name that tune' you play a bit of the song and the first person to get it right wins, it can get vicious if someone names the artist first but looses out to the song guesser!

I want more, this is good.

One of my all-time favorites was "Slug Bug"...I bruised many arms in my days.

There is also "Popeye"...when you spot an oncoming car with a headlight out and shout "Popeye". First one to shoud it out...wins. Everyone else...removes an article of clothing. Obviosuly a game not so suited for children...but a great time on a long road trip out to vegas with a co-ed car.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Listen to talk radio trying to learn stuff. Usually public radio. Sometime I yell at the radio.

Not sure if it's working. But I have many things to mention in conversation that begin with "I heard on the radio.....".

Then I turn it to jazz and chill-out. tap my fingers and do that air drum thing. It looks ridiculous, no doubt. I don't care though, if it makes someone laugh, all the better.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Affiliate Network Rep Nicorelli's Avatar
    Are we there YET!!!
    My favorite game when growing up was 'are we there yet' and the classic - I-spy, when you are driving through the country and all you have is trees and grass the game does get quite short!
    Now all the kids have full entertainment suites... no-one is getting bored on any road trips here!

We have funny noise contests - who can make the oddest.
    We make up alternative meanings for road signs.
    We have surreptious lie-telling contests - not actually a contest, but every now and then come out with something, the idea is to get away with the oddest and most bizarre lie, context and surprise are everything.

Otherwise it's standard fare.

ABW Ambassador
    As a kid on road trips with my parents and brother -

listen to walkman*
    play hand held video games
    sometimes got to play with cb
    fight with brother
    also played this game where you had to draw something on the other persons back and the other person had to guess what it was

*or we had to listen to the unbearable music

I check out audio books from the local library. I don't get as much time for leisure reading as I used to so it is real enjoyment getting caught up on my favorite authors.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Hi Paul Ward- You make funny noise contest? I wish I had a road trip with you

We had a great suggestion by our clients that they used to write signs and show them to other drivers while their parents were driving.

I like this one it reminds me of a time when we were on a school trip and someone wrote " help we have been kidnapped" - we got some strange looks

I remember we used to try to get the truckers to honk for us. I'm sure the airhorns scared the tar out of our parents a few times.

For those doing audiobooks, you might want to check to see if your local library has downloadable audiobooks. I discovered about a month ago that mine does. The ones I've checked out have been WMA-protected files that you can only play for two weeks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    My family was always big into high stakes "Who can be the quietest the longest." Because we were a rowdy bunch, we would play for five or ten dollars if we were lucky/quiet. I still play the Christmas Lights game, where passengers on either side of the car are in competition to see who passes the most Christmas lights on their side of the car. Unfortunately the latter only works for, at best, two months out of the year. Catchphrase is a great game for everyone BUT the driver. 20 Questions can be adapted for an older crowd (think R-rated 20 questions) and the book, "If..." has a ton of thought provoking hypothetical questions to ask your friends and yourself...as long as you don't get motion sickness from reading.

And when all else fails, I just watch episodes of the Office on my iPod.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast