Datafeeds: XML Format.. How to..
    I just joined a new aff program and in the welcome e-mail, they said they provide a sophisticated datafeed in XML format...

I tried to do some searches, but what does one do with an XML datafeed? Do I need a special program that's available somewhere to parse and work with it?

Is there an explanation or step by step tutorial somewhere on the net for the total non-techy person like me?

Thanks in advance!

I use XMLReader which is available in PHP5. Most servers will have PHP4, so this isn't readily available at the moment. It might require some upgrades. The nice thing about it is it reads an XML document without storing the entire thing in memory. This is really important for huge XML files in the 1gb+ range. If you search the net you can probably find some good examples for using it to parse an XML document.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks! I have a feeling I'm going to be sorry I asked. Though I've worked with PHP and understand it for the most part (most just web programming for things like Wordpress or phpBB), I have no clue what needs to be done looking at the page you linked to there.

Am I creating a page using some of the example code they put down there in comments? Do I need to create a MySQL database?

If I have an XML Feed.. what do I do with it?

And I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why an aff program would even provide it if it requires such technical savvy. LOL

I think I'll contact them and see what they say too.. but if you don't mind taking the time to spell it all out for a non-techy affiliate, that would be super appreciated.

...do all affiliates know php this well?

Hi Sam,

I work with XML documents with Microsoft Excel Pro. I am pretty sure it has to be the professional one though and not just the regular excel to be able to work with XML. After I have it loaded into excel, I take out the fields that I don't need and load it into my MySQL database.

As far as using PHP, affiliates don't need to know anything about PHP if they choose not to. It is up to you, depending on how you want your site to be set up and so forth. I personally use PHP and MySQL.

Let me know if I can do anything to help. I am by no means an expert but I will do what I can.

Maybe check a few scripts here:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...s/XML_and_PHP/

See what you can find that will display XML as HTML. I'm sure there are a number of tools that will generate HTML pages from an XML source.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hi Sam,

Not sure if you already discovered the secrets of XML but I hope to shed some light on it

XML is a way to format a file according to standard rules. Because the structure is in a startd form the content of the file can be read by any application that is capable of converting the file.

The XML file is structered in a way like this
    <name>value</name>

it is like in php with a variable and it's value. So having a affiliatefile in XML makes it easy to read the values of the names like product=xyz price=$whatever image=niceone.jpg. You can use a phpconverter for it or you could choose to store the file in a database and use it in that way.

I hope this helps a bit

The PHP page on parsing XML : http://www.php.net/xml

Also try Magpie RSS, which makes it easier to do these things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Hi Sam,

I work with XML documents with Microsoft Excel Pro. I am pretty sure it has to be the professional one though and not just the regular excel to be able to work with XML. After I have it loaded into excel, I take out the fields that I don't need and load it into my MySQL database.
    Exactly what is "Microsoft Excel Pro"? Plain old Excel has XML tools and can directly open/saveas XML, at least since version 2002. Programmatically,you can use VBA to work with XML by adding a reference to an XML parser like MSXML.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140066(office.10).aspx

Sam,

Answer partly depends on structure of xml file, or how complicated the data inside is. If it looks roughly like this:

<catalog>
    <item>
    <name>bla bla</name>
    <id>323452</id>
    <link>http://www.somewhere.net/something.php</link>
    </item>
    <item>
    <name>...</name>
    </item>
    ... more items
    </catalog>

then its just an xml representation of a csv file, ie tabular data and should be easy to convert to a csv (I assume you know how to handle csv). However if within <item> and </item> tags you have other tags with their own sub-tags then its structured data, not just tabular. For example I had a tickets program that had event groups, within them events and then within events seat categories. If it is structured data, you'll need some php skills and several tables in db to turn it into well structured site. If you don't have the skills, you can always try rentacoder or a similar service.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread