Affiliate Manager
    Attracting Affiliates
    I have been trying to figure out a way to attract affiliates to our program without spending a lot of money and have come up against a brick wall.
    I do not want to buy contact information from other affiliate managers for the simple fact that it comes off as sleazy.
    I do know that our Google Ad Word expenses are taking about 60% of our revenue and that has got to slow down.
    Anyone know of any good advertising areas for Affiliate Programs out there?
    Would like to someday have a forum on ABW but for the time being, we simply can not afford it.

Hi Splinter,

Have tried to hit any of the affiliate directories?

Affiliate Manager
    Haven't heard about them.

If you Google "affiliate directory" or "affiliate directories" you will find a whole heap of them. Some are free listings while others require payment.

I was looking at your co-branded page and noticed that there was no mention of a 2 tier program. Do you offer that to affiliates?

A 2-tier program is a very good way to attract an entire class of affiliates that a 1-tier program won't interest.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

In another thread, another AM mentioned that s/he had not acquired any significant affiliates through affiliate-directory listings. That's been my experience, also, since 2000 or so.

Last fall, when I went searching for effective affiliate directories, I was disappointed by the large number that aren't updated, and probably 60% of the sites that come up in Google are scammy paid-search sites, not actually affiliate directories.

I posted a list of "my" results (affiliate directory sites that seemed legit, with bold face for sites that promptly adding our program), at
    http://www.quoteproducts.com/affiliate-links.php

That page is already out of date, but it's probably a more useful place to start than a Google search.

More effective than any affiliate directory I found, is paying for a "New Program Announcement" here on ABW (http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/).

That said, I must emphasize (as is explained in dozens of threads here on ABW) that the ONLY way to get successful affiliates is to carefully identify the sites that you believe may be effective, and then recruit them carefully. That certainly means PERSONALIZED emails to key sites, and it means making some phone calls. If you offer a tangible product, you might even find it effective to actually ship sample products to some prospective affiliates.
    Last edited by markwelch; May 28th, 2007 at 10:26 AM.

I agree with what Mark said about affiliate directories. They're pretty useless.

As for a second tier, keep in mind that many affiliates are turned off by them. Read some of these threads:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60451
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=62271
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=66392

There are some affiliates who are able to recruit other affiliates and will like second tiers, but you have to look at the big picture. Overall, my opinion is that a public second tier (especially a big one) will make your program less competitive. A private second tier can be a good idea.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Another way to recruit affiliates is going to Affiliate marketing conferences. There is nothing better than meeting affiliates face to face.
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Terry, directories give a little lift to recruiting but should not be a primary focus. You can use them to see how your competition is positioning themsleves. One important point that you seem to be missing is the organic ranking of your site. Use your success with paid search to go after the highest trafficed terms organically for your site. Also, throw a couple paid terms related to your subject along with affiliate program.

My dad has a travel site for Branson Missouri and we have been trying to find a ticket affiliate program for over a year. The first thing I do is look for the term, find the ticket site and then look for an affiliate program. Will bet that affiliates are doing the same.

There is a local affiliate who along with a partner quit his day job to become a full time affiliate. He makes his money booking rooms in Vegas and selling tickets to shows. He was making $80k a year at his last job. Shoot me an email and I will get you introduced if you don't already know him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    My dad has a travel site for Branson Missouri and we have been trying to find a ticket affiliate program for over a year. The first thing I do is look for the term, find the ticket site and then look for an affiliate program.
    For your Dad and anyone else in a similar situation: If you're in a very small niche without many affiliate programs, and you have enough traffic, keep in mind two things you can do with merchants that don't have affiliate programs:

1) You suggest that they set one up (at SAS, for instance).
    2) Often, it's simplest to do a flat-rate monthly sponsorship.

These two things are far more effective when the merchant contacts you (which happens if you're an authority in the niche) rather than you reaching out to the merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you all for the replies.
    We do offer a 2nd tier that runs at 2% though after having read up on all the thoughts, crisis and comments we don't advertise so much for it.
    Our site is a tricky one because it is actually hosted by our "parent" company which is not so much a parent company as it is a network hosting for a ticketing network.
    I have stressed the need for some organic listings but am still waiting to hear from the higher ups regarding when we can start trying to build up our organics.
    There has been some talk of getting off the "parent" companies website and doing our own, but no action as of yet.
    We figured that by offering 10% comission where our competitors offer 8% would draw in the affiliates, but without some advertising we are basically just afloat at sea. It's a big sea.
    We have posted in the New Programs section on ABW but I think getting a mini forum under the Shareasale forum would also be a good idea. However trying to get funds to advertise is like pulling teeth out of a Hipopotomus with plastic pliers.
    Also having some major issues with Kowabunga and Kolimbo as well. Seems our CEO signed up with them for a yearly contract but the only affiliates they seem to offer are fraud fiends looking to steal cookies. So it has been a struggle to get out from under them as well as clean up the mess left behind by the "affiliates" who scare off the real affiliates we want. Thanks to Donut for helping me find this out.
    We do a lot of business for Vegas but not so much in packages as just for shows, concerts and fights.
    Mark, I am on my way to your link right now, just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else who took the time to reply.

I agree with Mark regarding contacting desired affiliates directly. As he said this should be personalised to the website as much as possible.

I would also suggest, as a part of this, offering 'start-up incentives' to new affiliates who sign up and begin to promote your program. These incentives should be small but easily attainable so that the affiliate is set-up with your campaign.

As soon as affiliates see that your progarm works (assuming it does work) and have everything in place, you can then work on keeping them, and gradually building your affiliate campaign further...

The thing about recruiting is this:

Many of the most desired affiliates get dozens of recruitment emails every day. They're almost all the same. They're not personalized (or--EVEN WORSE--are obvious attempts to make things look personalized when they aren't). They don't give all the details we need. They're focused on the masses, not us.

Truly personalized emails are extremely rare. Some of the features that would make it truly personalized are:

• It should be obvious that the sender spent more than just a glancing moment on the site and/or knows you.
    • You should call the person by name and mention personal things, like awards they have received, unique things you like about their site, comments or stands you appreciate that they made publicly, when or where you saw them last, etc.
    • You should spend enough time to figure out exactly what things the person would need and provide it all.
    • You should provide general stats about sites similar to theirs. For instance, "The coupon sites we work with see an average conversion ratio of 7% and an average EPC of $75." Program-wide stats are not personalized.
    • You should make some sort of offer to make it even more compelling, like an increased commission, a slotting fee or cash activation bonus, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread