As an effort to identify if it is an anomalie, blatant overwriting or affiliate hoopla, I am requesting all that have the MMM installed to answer the following questions (supplied by TopMoxie):

(1) What operating system are you using?

(2) What connection speed and Internet service provider are you using?

(3) What browser type and version number are you using?

(4) Are you accepting cookies with given browser? first party and second party cookies? session cookies?

(5) Are their any other specifics you can supply related to the privacy or security settings of your browser which may suggest a problem?

(6) Have you tried restarting your system?

(7) Do you use any personal firewall software, if so which application and version?

(8) What is the specific URL, if any, generating irregular behavior?

(9) What was the specific sequence of browsing behavior, if any, where inconsistency occurred?

(10) Can you replicate the irregular behavior?

(11) What do the contents of your dump text have? (go to C:\Program Files\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker\System\Temp\Dump.txt)

If you don't want to publicly, please pm me the information and I will keep it anonymous.

Any off topic posts will be deleted!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    This only applies if you have a version that is supposed to be the fix correct?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

BLFH,

Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Jesus Christ Haiko!

They want to know which version of which firewall I am using. I don't think so....

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

Don,

I agree with you, but it could do something with the software, you can feel free to leave that out.

===========

All,

I moved the 11 page eBates thread into their forum under the ParasiteWare(TM) Header.

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obstinatedon:
    Jesus Christ Haiko!

They want to know which version of which firewall I am using. I don't think so....

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about...

Do you use a firewall?

If yes, is it software?

If yes, did it block any attempt to communicate to ebates.com? (this can be found in the various firewall logs/alerts.)

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko, I've PM'd you with the info and concerns.

If ebates is really serious that they were no longer going to overwrite links, they would be able to produce a copy of a letter that was sent to all their users informing them of this as well as disabling certain settings that allow users to choose this.

Since this hasn't been done and as a new user I was able to divert on my first use outside of ebates, I find it appauling they are acting like this is a mistake.

If they are serious, they should inform their users they will not get credit outside of ebates, stop diversions and remove options that allow for users to choose to allow themselves and ebates to profit from work other people have done.

ABW Ambassador
    Happypoon, you and I agree on issues much more often than you would like. That was a pointed and well-spoken post.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

I feel very leary giving them any information. Forgive me for my "possibly" over suspicious mind.
    How do I know that they don't just want the information from all of us just so they can figure out how to fix their software further so it will overwrite links, but make it so we can't see it?

If they are such good software people they should be able to fix their own software without us having to help them.

I honestly feel they know exactly what is going on but want to play stupid to cover their own a**.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Just call it my sour attitude, if you will but I think Connie Berg may have that just about right.

I wonder what Leader thinks of giving them all that info.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    edited for Mike's security

[This message was edited by Haiko on November 27, 2002 at 11:23 AM.]

Did anyone get this email?
    https://secure.netsuccessnow.com/NetBizIdeas/usefuleb/

Where Do You Want To Be Tomorrow?

Mailman,

What does that spam related to ebay have to do with troubleshooting why ebates is swapping affiliate id's?

It wasn't intended as a spam.I just got this myself and wanted some info.Sorry!

Where Do You Want To Be Tomorrow?

Mailman,

Oops, I didn't phrase that well. Didn't mean your post was spam, meant the email was spam. Could you start a new thread with your original post in an appropriate forum. Then these posts can be deleted so that this particular thread can stay on topic regarding the ebates issue. Thanks. And again sorry for the confusion.

I'm not totally sure what the purpose of this thread is, and I'm certainly not prepared to share some technical information with anyone.

Much of what's being said here strikes me as superfluous. I don't believe for a moment that the redirection is happening in the MMM software. Surely it's only the flag - the back end decides what to do with the info, and that's why it can be turned on/off/weighted/made random.

I really don't think we should be clouding the issue by suggesting there are factors in the surfers setup that decide how this activity behaves.

Here's what I saw:

Windows 98 IE6

I cleaned (removed cookies, temp files, history, ran adware etc) a PC and joined ebates, accepting the default MMM software.

I carried out 2 tests in 2 different (PC on/off) sessions - both of them separate from the session where I joined ebates.

Visited two different affiliate sites of mine and clicked through an affiliate product link to merchant (different for each site). In both cases a window popped up telling me I was now earning a rebate (not optional) and the main browser window was redirected to the merchant's front page.

In the case of Merchant A, my affiliate link was for their private program, yet a CJ cookie was placed on the PC.

In the case of Merchant B, I can't read the BeFree cookies so clearly (I think affiliate IDs are encrypted?) but it seems safe to assume ebates weren't going to pay me a rebate out of their own pocket, so they expected to get the commissions from that session.

I have screenshots of the pre and post clicks, and copies of the cookies involved. I have duplicated the behaviour and manged to capture the redirect URL being used in the middle of this two-step.

Haiko, I can PM you the cookies, URLs etc (the screenshots are probably not that useful) but I need to know what the plan is here. I'm happy to help build a dossier of evidence to finally nail this, but I don't think ebates should be getting any info out of this.

Are you Crazy?

Crazy,

Yes please PM me the info ... It will be confidential.

=============

All,

I spoke to a major CTO friend of mine who said definately NOT to post the technical info!

I'm going to edit Mike's post and vault the existing info.

PS Did anyone see my post in the other ebates thread about circuitcity?

</font></p>

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread