Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Got moose?
    I just got off the phone with a nuisance wildlife officer of the Department of Environmental Conservation in New York because my husband phoned to tell me that there's a juvenile moose on the loose where he works in downtown Troy, NY.

The conservation officer was astonished. Hubby is very excited. He's never seen a moose in the wild before. I'm very aggravated because I desperately want to see a wild moose and I haven't yet.

So if you're driving around Rensselaer County today just be careful. And whatever you do, don't bother the moose. The conservation officer said they spook easily and tend to drop dead when stressed in hot weather situations. Just thought you'd like to know.

Hi Rhea,

Do they really drop dead? Not knowing a lot about moose, do they have any natural predators?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We got Moose in Timberlakes..

In fact Luigi (a bull I named last summer) was in our yard about 10 feet from the kitchen window this morning when I woke up. I am 95% sure it was Luigi, anyway. He was eating my favorite baby aspen that I am nurturing for shade on our back deck, so I politely walked out on the deck (staying close to the door of course) and told him to be gone. He looked at me funny and then just slowly walked away without a care.

Rhea, I hope your Moose makes it out of the city without too much trouble

do they have any natural predators?
    Good question...perhaps a cougar could take one. The bull I was referring to above is probably 1000-1200 lbs so maybe not

I do know they aren't scared of much. Not cars, people or even our 90lb Kuvasz (who was actually rolled by one in the Green River a few years ago! Lucky she was in the river and just got dunked in two feet of water on the shoreline!!)..

My curiosity was peaked so I did a quick search for Moose predators and I found: The moose has three main predators: bears, wolves, and humans.

Ooh! I'll have to tell my hubby about this thread. He grew up not too far from Troy.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I asked the conservation officer if moose had any natural predators and he said that wolves hunt them (but we don't have any wolves in NY -- yeah -- uh-huh) and black bears will take a moose calf, but that's it.

He said that it was a regional DEC decision whether to attempt to capture the moose but that he doubted they would authorize it because a) it's hard to assemble an experienced team on short notice and, b) they tend not to survive capture during hot weather. He told me to tell my husband to tell the security department at work to keep curiosity-seekers off the property and prevent staff from running around trying to see or photograph the moose.

He also said that the moose will likely be gone by tonight. Apparently juvenile males travel long distances in spring. Juvenile moose have been known to follow the Hudson River corridor almost as far as New York City from time to time. The ones that get that far south are rounded up by DEC.

Troy isn't much of a city with a population of 55,000 but it's the only city in this rural county. I hope the moose keeps heading north and finds himself a nice home range somewhere in the Adirondack State Park. That would be a lovely place to be a moose.

Hi Gary,

Good research, mine came up with the same conclusion. Although I assume it would only be grizzly bears that would chop a moose?

I saw some black bears not too long ago and I have seen bigger moose than than the bear.

I would guess that we are the destroyers

My curiosity was peaked so I did a quick search for Moose predators and I found: The moose has three main predators: bears, wolves, and humans.
    Sadly, the human bit doesn't surprise me. Not just by hunting, but growing up in Northern Ontario I knew a few people that had hit moose on the highways at night, and they can do a lot of damage to both parties.

Anyway, hope your moose makes it safely back to where it belongs!
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

Hi Julia,

I didn't know that you were from Ontario!

hey this is getting sad now. Need some cheering up-

Rhea- Is the moose still there?

I dunno, Stephen. I'm sure I'll get an update when hubby gets home from work tonight. Should be interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8LP4MKG0.shtml

Here's a photo of the moose. It's dead center in the photo, between some trees. It was headed toward a county highway when this picture was taken. When it got to the highway it had a good look, turned around and trotted back toward the woods. Good moose, smart moose, urban moose.

Hi Rhea,

Cheers for the picture

Did the moose finally get to safety?

I don't know Stephen. The only way to know would be if he had a radio collar on and was being monitored. I can only say that there are no reports of a dead or injured moose in the vicinity. The conservation officer I spoke to on Friday was quite certain that he would skedaddle overnight and as far as I know there were no moose sightings in Troy over the weekend.

Troy is a city, yes, but it's surrounded by farms, forests and mountains. A moose doesn't have to wander too far to get back to forested areas. I'm just glad he apparently didn't get any further into town. We didn't see any reports on TV about him over the weekend and there's no newspaper coverage, which would have happened if a lot of people sighted him.

On the subject of urban wildlife, check out this story about the first wild beaver to take up residence in New York City in over 200 years! Nothing short of amazing! http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2007/0...23ta_talk_peed

Thanks Rhea,

I used to live near a wildlife reserve in England and there was rare breed of deer that lived there. Unfortunately the reserve had a pretty busy road going through it so there was quite a high death toll. there was an electronic sign that told people how many had been killed in th month, it was quite staggering.

I am going to check out the beaver story now

Thanks for adding the pic Rhea, from your description of the area it sounds like the moose just headed back where he belongs
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We have moose all over Park City Utah (30 miles from Gary's mountain home). We had a 125 pound black bear spotted Tuesday and rumors that a mountain lion killed a deer where my kids play soccer (Trailside).

I have hiked around moose for 25 years and never had a run in. Just don't approach them and never get between a mother and her calf. When I see a big bull I avoid direct eye contact, never apprach them and skirt the area. My daughter who just had to walk ahead of our group had a big bull walk out of roaring stream 20 feet in front of her. She never ran ahead again, they are bigger than a horse. My biggest fear with that young male is that he gets scared into traffic.

Update on moose (no squirrel).

On the news last night they ran a surveillance camera tape from a gas station in downtown Troy that showed our "moose on the loose" in another part of town last Friday. (I'm pretty sure it was him. How many moose could there be in downtown Troy?) The moose was moving at a nice clip in the middle of the road. Apparently quite a few people saw him.

A local cop was interviewed and he stated that the city's policy with moose is non-intervention. The gist of what he said was, "We stay out of the moose's way and hope nothing bad happens."

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Gary did you see cats on that list of predators?

Note
    Moose are not normally aggressive, however, they can be very aggressive when hungry, tired or harassed by people, dogs, and traffic (sounds familiar!). During the mating season bull moose are often more aggressive toward people. Mothers with young calves are very protective and will attack humans who come too close.

You can identify when a moose might attack if the long hairs on its hump are raised and it's ears laid back. A moose may also lick its lips.

Charges may only be "bluffs", warning you to get back, however take this seriously, even a young calf could cause significant injuries from it's size alone. When a moose does charge, it often kicks forward with its front hooves. Unlike other animals, such as dogs and bears, it's usually a good idea to run from a moose because they won't chase you very far.
    Last edited by PetsWarehouse.com; May 29th, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    awwwww, cute pic!

Hope the urban moose makes it home safely :^)
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

On Saturday we took a long pedal through Daly Canyon in Park City, up to mid-mountain and across PC Ski Resort. About half way up Daly I crested a hill and a friend was stopped in view about 50 feet up the trail pointing to the left. I looked and a big bull was 10 feet off trail at eye level starring straight at me (he was down the slope a bit). I slowed my crank pace and as Chuck mentioned, avoided eye contact with him as much as possible. Once I got ahead I turned around to get a look and he was back to eating.. no worries But there is always that drop stomach feeling when you are surprisingly that close to a Bull Moose...

..in the Park City area they aren't a problem *in the summer* as they are so accustomed to people. In fact they've likely seen people since they were very young (one of the guys on the ride said he came up on a mother and brand new, slimy calf last spring...both laying there too exhausted to move from the birth...luckily for him!). But in moose rut season or when a cow and calf are present together, those same animals can be very unpredictable.

-

PS, Chuck mentioned a bear near PC. There was also a bear spotted near Alta Ski Area which is VERY unusual (Alta is in the Wasatch Mountains at 8500' only 8 miles from the Salt lake valley and strip mall meca - and the small mountain range is surrounded by cities!). Oh, and this was no Black Bear - CHECK THE PIC as the Alta.com Pic of the Day

Holy crap! That's a grizzly bear. :gulp:

Hey that grizzly is huge,

What do you do if one of those crosses your path?

Play dead?

Sing a song?

Pray?

I don't think that is a Grizzly bear.. rather a Brown Bear.. but it's close:

"The grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis), the Kodiak Bear (Ursus arctos middendorffi), and the Mexican brown bear are North American subspecies of the brown bear."

If you run into a bear in the wild it will likely run off if you don't surprise it. That's why people try and make a lot of noise while hiking in bear terrain. If you do surprise and piss it off enough to charge hopefully it's just a bluff charge. I am not expert but I've read that you play dead once contact is made b/c it will likely see you as a threat and if the threat is gone (by you playing dead) you have a better chance of not getting ripped to shreads

Again, no expert here just sharing what I've heard/read before.

--

Edited to Add: According to that Wiki page on Bear encounters..

It is extremely rare that brown bears kill or seriously injure humans, but fatal encounters occur when brown bears behave aggressively. There are an average of two fatal attacks a year in North America. In Scandinavia, there are only three known cases during the last 100 years in which humans were killed by bears. Attacks usually occur because the bear is injured or a human encounters a mother bear with cubs. Some types of bears, such as polar bears, are more likely to attack humans when searching for food, while American black bears are much less likely to attack.

The Scandinavian Bear Research project lists the following situations as potentially dangerous:

1. Meeting an injured bear
    2. A human suddenly appearing
    3. Meeting a bear in its cave
    4. Meeting a bear who has been provoked

--

I'm glad to hear it's not a grizzly!

There are three North American mammals that scare me a bunch: grizzlies, mountain lions and polar bears. Of those three only mountain lions are known to be in our area. We heard a rumor two years ago about a neighbor's horse who was attacked by a mountain lion but it isn't reliably confirmed.

We live in black bear country although I've not seen one around here yet. Local wisdom on bears is as follows: a) garbage night is a bad night to go for a stroll around the neighborhood, b) take in your bird feeders before the bears come out of hibernation, c) if the neighborhood dogs start howling -- head indoors.

Here's my favorite bear joke.

Two guys are hiking in the woods and stumble upon a bear. They freeze. The bear charges. The men turn tail and run like mad in the opposite direction. The guy in the rear yells to the guy in the lead, "This is crazy. You know we can't outrun a bear!" And the guy in the lead replies...
    "Hell, I don't have to outrun that bear. I only have to outrun YOU!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast