Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I got an offer today from someone who wants to buy my company, my little affiliate-marketing company, for $250,000! My head is still spinning, and I am thinking should I counter the offer and ask for more? Should I even sell? I started this thing from scratch, and it's my baby. But $250,000? What should I do?!

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

ABW Ambassador
    If it was me I would take the money and run!
    Cazzie

Ask them to deposit 20K into an escrow account of YOUR choice as good faith along with the complete legal terms and descriptions that woud be needed to consumate this transaction. If they don't run after you require that action then is the time to negotiate. This sounds like a new scam to me.

$250K! Woohoo!

I'd say evalute your business and it's potential before you even consider it greater than a compliment. You'll have to run your numbers before you offer a counter offer, if applicable. I'd also contact council to act as a broker, and discuss terms (eg. non-compete) if need be.

Congrats!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

This is not 1998 it is 2002. Beware that you don't lose your site and the money too. If this is legit-Congratulations. Just be carefull.

Hersey,

T-Bone offers great advice!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Thanks for the advice! I have a conference call on Monday with the potential buyer and his partner. I have an appointment with my lawyer tomorrow. It certainly occurs to me that this could be a scam. T-Bone, your advice is good. No one touches my company until I see some cash. Wow.

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

Good luck with the meeting...
    all being well you can take the money and run:)

Drinks are on hershey;)

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I like T-bone's idea. Take the money and start another new business.

Congratulations!!!

If your head is spinning I would guess that's a sign your head is satisfied with the offer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. As t-bone said, it's not 1998 anymore. I would not have made a counteroffer just like that, the buyer could take that as a sign of bad faith. I would merely have said I was interested and with a smile.

But then again, I live my life by a line from one of my favourite movies, Heat from 95, which goes something like:
    "Don't let yourself get so attached to anything that you can't walk away in 30 seconds"

Hope it all works out!

-- Less is more --

All I've told him is that it's an interesting offer and that I'm certainly willing to entertain it, but I need more details, which should come on Monday. Maybe if I play it cool, he'll offer more! Not that I want to get greedy....

---Hershey

Good luck Hershey, keep us informed!

Hershey,

I'm curious as to how many uniques you receive daily. When my cousin sold his site that was one of the main reasons for the amnt of money that he and a couple of his partners received. Obviously the another main thing was the traffic was also targeted to the buyers needs. NP if the info is confidential and good luck with the deal. I hope it all works out great for you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    WoW want to lay claim to mine and see what you can get me for it

Hope it's legit and your hard work pays off, just don't be taking any of those fraudulant Nigerian Credit Cards as payment

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Dapackster, if I can pull this off and it doesn't turn out to be a scam, I will let you know all the details.

---Hershey

ABW Ambassador
    No mention as to whom the offer arrived from. I'm assuming you don't think enuf about WHERE it came from. If you were intrigued by the offer alone, that's one thing. But, IF it were coming from someplace you trust, you wouldn't be asking here.
    I think you should DOUBT the authenticity and have at least a "good faith deposit" placed into your control, along with a thorough background check of this offerer, BEFORE you venture any further. The offer sounds too good to be true.

Last year I sold a website for a similar price. I was fortunate to have a serious and cooperative buyer, but FWIW (some of this is obvious, I know):

1. Don't transfer anything of value until you have a signed contract.
    2. Use an escrow account so both sides can be happy that the transaction is safe.
    3. Good move to get the lawyer involved. The whole thing cost me around $5000 in legal fees, but the deal was watertight, and my lawyer always assumed the worst about the buyer, whereas I might have been too trusting or cooperative!
    4. Make sure any contract deals with buyer remorse (i.e. once the business is sold, it's their problem, not yours). Things can change so fast on the net that a great business today can fail tomorrow - and you want a contract that doesn't give them a get out clause should anything go wrong.
    5. Be careful on the non-compete clause they may want. Don't let it be too restrictive.
    6. If you set a price and sign a contract with a future transfer date, don't forget that money generated by the business (such as through aff progs) between signing and transfer is still yours. So when they get a payment check from CJ (just to use an example) for the month prior to transfer, they should write you a check for that amount.

Good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    I hope I am not stepping over some lines, but what kind of traffic do you have and how did they find you?

Congratulations if it turns to be legit. Unless you are making over $100K/year, I think I'd take it.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

ABW Ambassador
    If you sell and the new buyers need a good SEO, point them my way, mate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

If you have a proprietary technology, DON'T SELL IT FOR THAT PRICE.

If you have resources to grow it, DON'T SELL IT NOW.

If you can make that much money within a year with your site, DON'T SEL IT.

If you can't, SELL IT.

If it depends on affiliate commissions, SELL IT.

If it depends on any form of online advertising revenue, SELL IT.

I just sold out my sites to my past partner.

1) get a scum sucking lawyer first
    2) you will probably do a deal on a payout. the url is help in escrow until the final payment. Lawyers can't release the URL until the payments are complete.
    3) you are going to get a non-compete...think what you are going to do during that time. I love golf but that gets boring after a while

Luck

BigFish

I've talked with my family and today I meet with my lawyer. I will do nothing without my lawyer and accountant going over every detail. Yes, it does sound too good to be true. And it's just an offer so far. It sounds legit; they actually are one of the merchants we work with. If it flies, then I'll have to give 1/3 to the government anyway. So is it worth selling for $160,000 plus attorney fees? I'd just start another business, depending on the no-compete clause.

I need to talk to my lawyer.

---Hershey

Sell - Sell - Sell !

I hope it carries for you Hershey, but if it does't tell them my empire is for sale, at $24.99 it is a bargain [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Sell it and move to Thailand and retire....

Stick the cash in the bank and live peacefully off the interest near the beach.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast