Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Arrow Big Pig
    http://www.monsterpig.com/
    SLOW server due to link from Drudge

Just outside Anniston, Alabama on Thursday May 3 2007, an 11 year old boy kills 1,051 lb. wild Feral hog. The pig was over 10' 7" long. The hog was taken with a Smith & Wesson customized .50 caliber revolver shooting 350 grain bullets. The 11 year old boy is Jamison Stone.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...=1&image=large

And the picture:

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    WOW! I saw the documentary that was done on Hogzilla. I can't believe that the size of that hog

That poor taxidermist, I bet he had a heck of a time trying to find a mannequin to fit that hide. Wish we could have done the skull on that big boy
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

That's an ugly looking unnecessary animal.

Why is there a wild boar in the foreground?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward

Those 2-legged critters do clutter the countryside.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Internet Cowboy
    That is a HUGE hog. Too bad they had to kill it.

Why is there a wild boar in the foreground?
    That's just mean!
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    That's just mean!
    "Mean"? NO.

What is mean is the arrogant and disgusting shooting, torture and killing of innocent living beings for the entertainment of unfeeling, ignorant unhuman beings.

"Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is--whether its victim is human or animal--we cannot expect things to be much better in this world... We cannot have peace among men whose hearts delight in killing any living creature. By every act that glorifies or even tolerates such moronic delight in killing we set back the progress of humanity." --Rachel Carson
    "Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." --Albert Schweitzer
    "As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together." --Isaac Bashevis Singer
    "Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." --Albert Einstein
    "Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." --Arthur Schopenhauer
    "If you have men who will exclude any of god's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." --St. Francis of Assisi
    "When a man has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble." --Buddha
    "The squirrel that you kill in jest, dies in earnest." --Henry David Thoreau
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I'm sure if that hog had been taken illegally, Wildlife Fish & Game would be all over them. The fact that it is sitting in a taxidermist studio means that it has been killed and tagged legally. An illegal mount being in a shop is a huge fine and could cost that guy his license. A wild boar of that size is dangerous!

Do you have any idea of the disease that is spread by wild animal population if not kept in check? Leptospirosis and rabies being the biggest. I have devoted my life to the welfare of animals but also understand the importance of legal hunting.

Whether we accept it or not, hunting is a part of our culture and heritage as Americans. Now, I agree that poachers should be prosecuted to the highest extent of the law, but I am also thankful that wildlife populations are kept in check by Departments of Natural Resources so that predators don't come and eat my dog because of a population explosion that depleted their natural food source.

There is no reasonable or humane explanation for torturing a living creature by shooting it 9 times and forcing it to suffer for three hours.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

The entire mind-set of this type of behavior is evident by this being posted in the Daily Chuckle forum.

At least he chased it down to put it out of it's misery.

I agree that a hand gun is not going to drop an animal of that size. I'm sure the day started out with every intention of hunting a 200- 400 lb. wild boar in which yes, a hand gun will drop. An animal of that size would take a much larger caliber. But I'm sure they weren't planning on running into a hogzilla.
    I have watched videos of wild boar hunts and they can turn and charge on the shooter faster than the hunter can get away.

I totally understand where you are coming from and I wish that the animal could have been killed quicker and more humane. But I see that under the circumstances, they did the best they could.

Internet Cowboy
    African elephants are dangerous too. Should we just go down there and kill them all? Gorillas are dangerous too. Let's kill them as well.
    Amy, I gotta disagree with ya on this one. Catching and releasing (or even eating) fish is one thing. Killing this giant hog just because it is a giant hog just makes no sense to me. If they are going to eat it...great! But I doubt that any part of this hog gets eaten.

Being from Louisiana, I have been to many a Cushon de' Lait (cajun for pig roast). I am all about eating game, but to kill something just to kill it, especially when it is such a magnificent specimen of its species, makes no sense.

The boy used a .50 caliber, which is very large as far as guns go. Guns intended to kill elephants are .577 to .7 caliber. Most hunters use .243 or .308 caliber guns. Copys usually carry 9mm (.35 caliber). Dirty Harry's big gun was a .44 Magnum.

Oh, and they are planning on eating it. It should make 500-700 pounds of sausage.

The hog's head is now being mounted on an extra-large foam form by Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout. "It's huge," he said. "It's just the biggest thing I've ever seen." Mike Stone is having sausage made from the rest of the animal. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 pounds," he said.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; May 26th, 2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

No prob Scooter, I understand where you are coming from as well

We have a lot of business that comes from African game hunts, and population control works closely to the same as it does here in America. Each region has a specified amount of each species that is allowed to be harvested annually without causing the species to become extinct. When an animal is harvested in Africa (legally) not one oz of that animal goes to waste. The meat is give to the villagers of that region. It's the poachers that cause the most harm.

I wish I could fix the fact that there will always be hostility towards hunting, but I can't. I just understand both sides of the argument and try to keep the peace

I never understand why people see a magnificent animal and then feel that they have to kill it - I find the emotions that lead to the act rather disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    I never understand why people see a magnificent animal and then feel that they have to kill it - I find the emotions that lead to the act rather disturbing.
    I don't hunt so I don't know. But if it's anything like knowing you have a giant fish on your line I can relate to the adrenalin rush.

It's sad in a way that populations do have to be kept in check. In all reality they have to because we, as humans, have ventured into their territory and have established guidelines as to their "ideal" population status to accommodate our comfort zone of safety and health. Oye, it's a catch 22 really.

Internet Cowboy
    The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being killed by an 11-year-old boy was raised on a farm where it had another name: Fred.Phil Blissitt said he purchased the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and they sold it to the owner of Lost Creek Plantation after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.
    Source

Yeah, a wild hog alright. His name was Fred and he probably came up to this kid for a treat.

I am not against hunting, but this is a crock of shit.

Saw that on TV earlier Scott.

That ranch owner is a piece of crap.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'm betting the whole thing is a hoax. Everything I've seen points to it.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by missdonna
    I'm betting the whole thing is a hoax. Everything I've seen points to it.
    Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC did a two-part report investigating the thing, and while they seemed to infer it was a hoax the first day, their conclusion the second day was that it was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    That ranch owner is a piece of crap.
    You can say that about everyone involved in this disgraceful event.

Plantations/outfits like that disgust me! Looks like they were trying to go the way of Super Bucks

My husband stopped accepting any game that came from places like that years ago. Shame on that taxidermist for mounting it.
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; June 5th, 2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Internet Cowboy
    JamisonStone.com is taken. Hopefully someone will make him out to be the fraud that he is on that domain. The thought certainly crossed my mind.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You wanted to buy a domain to flame an 11-year old kid?!
    That's pretty sad.

The kid didn't do any "fraud" that I can see. Was he supposed to know the hog was farm-raised by psychic power? Daddy probably didn't say where the preserve gets its animals (better to boost Sonny's ego).

BTW the article in the first link has apparently been rewritten to address the latest developments.

Huntin'
    I used to view hunting in general as somewhat distasteful, but chatting with my uncle (who hunts) definitely helped clear up my views on the matter. I don't actually hunt, and I don't think I'd enjoy it, but my views have definitely changed.

1. A lot depends on the type of hunter. My uncle is a very active member of his local Rod and Gun club and a lot of their time is spent ensuring that wildlife stocks are kept up and that no one is doing anything stupid, or that would give hunting a bad name. He eats what he kills, and he has a lot of respect for nature (half the time, he takes his camera instead of his gun).

2. Game meat is free of additives, ingested pesticides and hormones, which means it's much better for him and his family. And not only does he wants his family to be healthy, but he wants his children to know that meat doesn't come from a shelf in a supermarket; it comes from an animal and that fact needs to be respected.

3. It's more humane. If you had to choose between living shoulder to shoulder with a whole bunch of other people in a prison-like enclosure, eating the same food everyday, before being taken to slaughterhouse and killed, or living your life free in the wilderness, until one day suddenly dying in the blink of an eye, which would you choose? Even if it took more than one shot, I'd still choose the latter.

So there are certainly people who give hunting a bad name (sometimes a REALLY bad name, and such cruelty on their part is inexcusable), but the only people who, in my mind, have the right to really slam on all forms of it are vegetarians. Anyone else is just as guilty, and possibly more guilty, than hunters.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast