ABW Ambassador
    aboutus.org and private whois
    anyone who has paid for whois privacy services at their webhost should think twice when they see this response from aboutus.org

"Domains that have privacy protected from WHOIS by their domain register are not being protected in AboutUs"

that answer was in response to a complaint as to why the owner's real info is being shown at aboutus.org and not the privacy one.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i don't see how that can be true - where would aboutus.org get the information from?

ABW Ambassador
    where do aboutus.org get their info?

i think i've read that whois.sc (aka domaintools), snapnames and aboutus.org are related owner-wise.

plus, they also have deals with registrars, including godaddy.com, to have reciprocal links. so when you search at either side, the other party is showing up as a link.

ABW Ambassador
    ok, i mixed up a little bit. the sentence i quoted was the complaint, not the response.

still, with many other similar complaints, that situation do exist.

ABW Ambassador
    its what waytogo said, actually every time you make a whois using whois.sc or any other "partner" site they instantly create on the fly a page grabbing info directly from the site, and also they que the site in order to take a screenshot and its logo to display

right, so if you've chosen to use private domian registration, how does your actual identity make it into those pages?

if you mean you first chose to reg it publically, then aboutus.org grabbed it, then you switched to privacy, i get it - they may archive the one that was available or not update it or whatever... but if you reg'd privately at the start, they'd have no source to make that info public. if they are also a registrar and have access to it, releasing it would violate that registrar standing.

so what is the precise problem you guys are seeing?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    right, so if you've chosen to use private domian registration, how does your actual identity make it into those pages?
    good question. they're not supposed to. but there are complaints that they do.

ABW Ambassador
    My own concern however is their business model.

What's it anyway? a webpage for every website, with the website's domain on the title tag?

Aren't we affiliates forbidden to put the merchant's domain on the meta tags? why? because if we do that, we will be competing with the merchant's domain in the search engines.

So with them having a page for every website, and the domains on the title tag, this only means that they are going after every domain's placement in the search engines.

So that later on, when somebody types abestweb.com in the SEs instead of typing it on the address bar (which happens a lot), the first result would be them instead of abestweb. Pretty parasitic huh?

Not to mention that they are grabbing your first few sentences to sweeten the pot for the spiders.

So basically they are creating a whole bunch of fake websites, where they intend the users to land first instead of the genuine websites.

They are also stealing your links. but instead of landing them on the genuine domains, they land them instead on aboutus pages. and did you notice the text on those links? guess again, they are your domain names. exactly what the google bot will be looking.
    Last edited by waytogo; May 27th, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

Private domain registration actually means that your information will be hidden in a public whois search. The information is still there, you entered accurate information while registering the domain.

The entire system is based on a Shared Registry System, SRS (anyone remember when tucows started OpenSRS?) It contains correct information that you entered when registering a domain. However, that information is available only to accredited registrars.

Some have speculated this is why Google became a ICANN registrar, not to sell $7 domain names, but to be able to detect domain interlinking schemes that are hidden by private domain registrations. (I think they also want to sell domains and webhosting, but that is another thread)

So the long and short of it is, it would be possible to gather your information and put it in a website such as aboutus.org, but you would need some co-operation or accredation to do it.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    So the long and short of it is, it would be possible to gather your information and put it in a website such as aboutus.org, but you would need some co-operation or accredation to do it.
    Ray King, the founder of aboutus, also runs snapnames.

Not only that, they also have reciprocal link arrangements with other registrars including godaddy.

It looks like they are using the whois from domaintools.com (whois.sc). I'm seeing the proxy information, not the private information in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    Ray King, the founder of aboutus, also runs snapnames.

Not only that, they also have reciprocal link arrangements with other registrars including godaddy.

ABW Ambassador
    Pretty soon, it will just be frustrating to register a domain.

because when you do, these parasitic wikis will populate the top results in the SEs when users search for your domain name.

their pages were built with the intent of sucking the blood of every website.

what, don't understand your last post. don't we all build pages with that intent? what is parasitic about a wiki? do you think people shop much from a wiki site? when a user searches for your domain name, you're saying that you expect wiki to displace you in the serps -and- that consumers will visit wiki and not your site? how low are you expecting your domain name to go for domain name searches?

i'm not really in sync with this whole thread. feel free to ignore me - i think i'm missing every point made here. off to have some more coffee. bye. :-)

ABW Ambassador
    and also to mention that what they're doing like posting your personal information, including a map of your address, without the prior knowledge of the person, is enhancing identity theft and stalking.

don't honest affiliates have that problem already? another affiliate using their website and personal info to apply or create an account with a merchant.

anyway, the U.S. congress seems to be tinkering with
    Personal Data Privacy and Security

i hope they deal with this kind of behaviour

some nut posted a list of myspace usernames and passwords a while back at a certain website, and when godaddy took down the site immediately (and rightfully so), there were even people who came out to defend the site.

just take a look here at ABW. it is forbidden to mention other people's affiliate site in our posts, unless the actual owner himself/herself outs them (especially in the sig). that's the way it should be.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread