Do Small Niche Sites Still Work?
    I have several undeveloped .com names and Iíve been trying to figure out how best to get them going. Because the names are pretty targeted I could either:

Develop small niche-type sites.

Develop them with RSS feeds from existing sites.

Do blogs..

OR Ė maybe there is something I havenít thought of?

Anyway, small niche sites used to be the way to go. Do you think they still perform like they once did?

Thanks
    Last edited by leeann; May 27th, 2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: I didn't like my original wording :)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I have an affiliate that went from a new affiliate to the best program's affiliate within 10 months with a very niche merchant. And it's not a PPC or a coupon affiliate. They use the merchant's feed and put a lot of love and diligence into how they feature the merchant's products and serve their visitors (the merchant's prospective customers)!!

I guess, it all depends on the niche. But yes, some niches are still very favorable to affiliates.

Geno

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Niches are wonderful. Find something compelling that you can provide, via your website, to those interested in that niche.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I have an affiliate that went from a new affiliate to the best program's affiliate within 10 months with a very niche merchant. And it's not a PPC or a coupon affiliate. They use the merchant's feed and put a lot of love and diligence into how they feature the merchant's products and serve their visitors (the merchant's prospective customers)!!

I guess, it all depends on the niche. But yes, some niches are still very favorable to affiliates.

Geno
    Geno speaks as if PPC affiliates are bad and are not diligent. Can you explain how a PPC affiliate is any different from anyone else, Geno?

I think he's just implying that everyone expects those affiliates to be the big ones, but that niche affiliates can do just as well.

I've always contended that niche sites can do very well if they become the authority in that niche. When someone thinks of that niche, they should think of your site. Some examples... Coupons: FatWallet... Affiliate Marketing: ABestWeb... Videos: YouTube... Search: Google... You can probably think of some in smaller niches that you're familiar with. You can still do very well in big niches without being the most authoritative site, but the smaller the niche, the more important it becomes.

How do you become an authority in a niche?

1. Provide more information, in a more organized way, than anyone else in the niche.
    2. Answer the questions and/or problems that people in the niche have.
    3. Provide a community for the niche.
    4. Provide a true service. Monetize everything you can on the site, but don't skip or neglect things that you can't monetize. These things will build your traffic and make you the authority.

The amount of highly targeted traffic that you get by being an authority is incredibly important. People will come back regularly, tell their friends, post about you in forums and blogs, link to you from their niche web sites, etc. All of that will indirectly help your SEO as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Geno speaks as if PPC affiliates are bad and are not diligent. Can you explain how a PPC affiliate is any different from anyone else, Geno?
    Scoot, the original message was:

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    ...I could either:

Develop small niche-type sites.

Develop them with RSS feeds from existing sites.

Do blogs..

OR Ė maybe there is something I havenít thought of?

Anyway, small niche sites used to be the way to go. Do you think they still perform like they once did?
    My answer was: If you join a niche merchant, grab a datafeed (and not a coupon, or a set of keywords to direct the traffic directly to them), build a niche site for your niche domain -- you can still do extremely well. If you know how to do PPC, and can put together effective PPC campaigns, directing the traffic to your own datafeed-based niche domain website first -- God bless you. If you don't -- build a feed-based niche site, a blog with products pulled from a niche merchant datafeed (or something of the kind), optimize it, and good luck.

Sorry if my original posts "sounded" in any way inferior to PPC affiliates. It was certainly not meant that way. I'm afraid your highlighting of the sentence on PPC and coupon affiliates added to it sticking out. It didn't mean to stick out, Scott. ...and Geno never "speaks as if PPC affiliates are bad and are not diligent". Never. ...neither would I ever speak inferior of coupon affiliates. My example only meant to show that a niche site, built around a datafeed can get from ground to stars in no time.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    ...and Geno never "speaks as if PPC affiliates are bad and are not diligent". Never. ...neither would I ever speak inferior of coupon affiliates.
    As an example of me doing exactly the contrary (i.e. encouraging PPC and coupon affiliates to press on), please see this thread (stickied in the appropriate forum for a reason).

Geno

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread