ABW Ambassador
    Wearied by super-hype
    Yep, I sure do understand about advertising, promotion and acquisition - and all that goes along with it. But there's been such an over-dose on the net, particularly in certain areas, that I get wearied and feel worn out and almost disgusted at the first sign of it, at this point in time. Even the thought of it is becoming a turn-off.

I guess it works if people (and companies) do it and continue to, so it must be effective for many, if not most, but I'm just venting to say that some people can spot it a mile off and have had quite enough of it.

</off soap box>
    Sometimes it just feels good to vent.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Me too. I'm also beyond fatigued by the aggressive self-promotion in this industry. I'd like to see more of marketing's kinder, gentler and soft-spoken side.

ABW Ambassador
    Rhea, it isn't only this industry. It's also the back-slapping and arse-kissing that's going on with the whole Web 2.0 thing.

It isn't a universal thing, and certainly not all by any means. But at a certain point it can start to feel like being subjected to a hard-core telemarking pitch for toner or timeshares.

I think a lot of comes from the widgetization of the internet. Sites that provide widgets want sites to embed them. So it's become a marketing game that reaches out to webmasters and bloggers. I agree that you shouldn't believe all the hype and really just do your own thing. But there is a ton to learn about usability and site policy from successful social networking sites.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Internet Cowboy
    As long as we are *****ing about over-hype, I am pretty tired of posts here to the effect of "Someone just made a $300 sale!"
    So, someone made a $300 sale, BFD!!! Lots of affiliates make $300 sales each and every hour of every day.

I am growing especially tired of posts showing a screenshot of a given affiliate's sales over the past day or whatever. Again, BFD, someone is producing in that program. That does not mean that anyone can do the same thing. It only means that someone in the space has a good site, a good ad campaign or it can even mean they are effectively poaching the merchant's trademark which adds no value to anyone at all and artificially inflates the program's numbers.

As for Web 2.0, my feet are only beginning to get wet and I think it is cool. I'm all about gettin' "Bumped"

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I'm not taking one side or the other on this one, but objectively...

I hear ya Web, Rhea, Scoot. I guess there is no blanket answer. To that mentality that likes to hear about what others are making, reporting sales by various affiliates will always pull some, and at the same time will always annoy others. That is the world of advertising. It goes for online and offline advertising...

As an example, does anyone really drive their ford economy car on a roof ledge on only the two right wheels? Does anyone really drive their Volvo 70 MPH around iced, sharp twisting turns on mountain roads in the height of winter? IS there really a cell phone service that does not drop calls every time you need to stay connected?

Myself, I am not about to mention the $1,191.92 sale one of my affs generated. That would be so bush league. That's why you'll never hear that kind of stuff from ME . . . NEVER!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Wanting marketers to not market is like wishing kitchens didn't smell like food.

Granted, the Web 2.0 "back-slapping and arse-kissing" is very barfy. But I don't think those are real marketing attempts. I think that's just noise from people who never grew out of the high-school clique phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Does anyone really drive their Volvo 70 MPH around iced, sharp twisting turns on mountain roads in the height of winter?
    Oh, I'm sure some do!
    It's just that they wouldn't do it on purpose. It's more like, "Oh Sh-t!! ICE!!!!"

And, it'd be the hallmark of a new driver. That kind of "excitement" is avoided by sane people once they know where/when to expect the ice.
    (No mountains here, but we've got ice, curves, and lakes to end up in if you miss the curves by too much.)

Myself, I am not about to mention the $1,191.92 sale one of my affs generated. That would be so bush league. That's why you'll never hear that kind of stuff from ME . . . NEVER!!
    ROFL I love it!

(And, I DO like reading about the big-big sales.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as we are *****ing about over-hype, I am pretty tired of posts here to the effect of "Someone just made a $300 sale!"
    So, someone made a $300 sale, BFD!!! Lots of affiliates make $300 sales each and every hour of every day.
    And the ones who post their top 3 affiliates' earnings, and the top earner made like $700.

Hey, I'm no big fish in the affiliate pool - I sure don't mind seeing a check for $700 here and there - but if that is all that your TOP affiliate made? So where is the potential of promoting that program then?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Wanting marketers to not market is like wishing kitchens didn't smell like food.
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Granted, the Web 2.0 "back-slapping and arse-kissing" is very barfy. But I don't think those are real marketing attempts. I think that's just noise from people who never grew out of the high-school clique phase.
    Those people are marketing themselves, to assert themselves as "the" informed experts. But espousing everything that's "new" as being automatically "great", is easy hype to spot. I remember hearing that podcast (audio) advertising would be in the billions by 2010 and thinking... have these "expert" pundits ever even used an ipod / mp3 player?

Many affiliates here scoff at chasing everything new - we've learned through experience to focus on what "works", not what's "new" or what's "hot". We like to keep up on it a little, read about it a little, talk about it a little, but don't spend all day chasing it. We know better. We're busy doing stuff that works.

Most technology based advertising doesn't require you to be an early adopter to be able to jump in real strong later, so why not sit on the fat stuff and let the uncertain types chase the latest hyped dreams? When a channel matures sufficiently, dip your toes in and test it a little, thoroughly ho-hum bored look on your face and all. Unrealistic expectations are for the flitty.

The fun isn't in spouting buzzwords, it's in checking your bank account balance.

Focused and distracted are polar opposites. The allure of the rare distracted person hitting it big will make sure many people keep chasing the bad end of the spectrum. I see great humor in that.

Back to "web 2.0" specifically... sure signs that it's all about hype now (even if that wasn't the earlier intent):
    +A clear, universally agreed upon definition doesn't exist (perfect marketing hype!).
    +Companies have tried to (and achieved success) at gaining ownership of the term (see US & EU patent / trademark / service mark apps and their status).
    +The extreme disconnect between webmasters and the press - ask a webmaster (the experts that do it) to build in some web 2.0 features and you're just beginning a long conversation about what's really wanted... ask a reporter (the non-experts that write about it) to write a piece about it and fluffy stuff starts raining down in spades.
    +People that do it (build websites and web communities) hardly ever say it or even think about it. Those that don't, do.
    +Web 3.0 has now emerged as a new buzzword.

So don't let hype frustrate you - it's just the mind candy of the distracted. And even focused people like to have an occasional mental mint. When you feel pulled towards it, as we all do to varying degrees and frequencies, just recognize what it is - it's far sweeter that way.

And know that all is not lost for the ignorant - hype is also one of life's very best teachers. Those that follow it will learn the truth of things. And here's the Zen-like paradox of hype, that reveals that it's really just another of life's teachers in disguise, mostly for the amusement of those who have already grown to recognize it... the harder they chase it, the more blinded they are made by it - the more blinded they allow it to make them, the faster and harder the lessons will come.

So remember, hype exists solely to amuse us or to teach them. Join us and laugh at it - or join them and learn from it. Either way, it's a good time.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread