What should affiliate marketers include on their business cards?
    I'm planning to attend 3-4 conferences in the next couple months, so I figured it's about time I got some business cards together. But I can't decide what information to include on them.

Scott recommended here that for Affiliate Summit it would be a good idea to have cards with limited information. Makes sense to me... But how limited should it be -- just name and e-mail address? maybe also a hand-written note on the back, depending on who gets the card?

I'm new to these conferences, so I'd appreciate tips from the seasoned veterans.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It's up to you how much information you include, but it would be kind of defeating the purpose if you handed out a business card that did not include your true name. I've never seen a card that had a screen name only for identification!

BTW, I am sure that your screen name here is not meant to be an offshoot or play on the Jihadi / Jihadist movement, but GHoti and Jihadi is pronounced the same. So I probably would give thought about printing "GHoti" on my business card. Might get some strange reactions.... Just a thought, but one worth considering when wanting to avoid potential misunderstanding. Stranger things have happened.

On my cards for the past 32 years, I've always included what contacts need; my company name, my name, my email and phone contact info. If you have a logo and / or slogan, that too can be a good fit. Have fun designing your cards and at the upcomind events.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    It's up to you how much information you include, but it would be kind of defeating the purpose if you handed out a business card that did not include your true name. I've never seen a card that had a screen name only for identification!

BTW, I am sure that your screen name here is not meant to be an offshoot or play on the Jihadi / Jihadist movement, but GHoti and Jihadi is pronounced the same. So I probably would give thought about printing "GHoti" on my business card. Might get some strange reactions.... Just a thought, but one worth considering when wanting to avoid potential misunderstanding. Stranger things have happened.
    By "name", I did mean my real name.

I hadn't thought of ghoti being associated with jihadi, but I'll be even more certain to avoid it now that you mention it. It's just a colorful spelling for the pronunciation of "fish"...

On my cards for the past 32 years, I've always included what contacts need; my company name, my name, my email and phone contact info. If you have a logo and / or slogan, that too can be a good fit.
    I do have business cards with the company name, logo, title, e-mail, phone, etc. But as Scott mentioned in the other thread, you don't necessarily want every Tom, Dicky & Harry to get that info.

I liked George Clooney's business card in Oceans 11.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    : I hadn't thought of ghoti being associated with jihadi, but I'll be even more certain to avoid it now that you mention it. It's just a colorful spelling for the pronunciation of "fish"...

I have no doubt of that G. I'm just pointing out possibilities and considerations.

I do have business cards with the company name, logo, title, e-mail, phone, etc. But as Scott mentioned in the other thread, you don't necessarily want every Tom, Dicky & Harry to get that info.
    To each his/her own. If I feel that a person is worth giving my card to, I want my information there. Of course, YOU choose who you give your cards too, so it's not like just because you have them, every Tom etc etc etc is getting one. In 35 years of carrying cards, I've always included my name, phone contact information etc. Just my business and personal way of doing things. I'm still around, so I guess it's worked out ok. But however one chooses I respect their choice
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I include multiple contact points in my email signatures so affiliates can use the one that they are most comfortable with. As an affiliate I would provide email and phone number. Include your website if you want to be solicited by affiliate managers.

Outsourced Program Manager
    One suggestion on the card, stay away from "Glossy". They may look better, but they are very difficult to write on, and many attendees like to write on the back of the cars to help identify opportunities. This way, when they get home, they can go through the hundreds of cards they receive and sort accordingly. In short, get a type of card that can be written on and give space (usually the back) to write on.

Tax Paying Member
    Business cards are used to identify you, but are also used to drum up business. Name, contact info, logo(if you have one), slogan(if you have one.

Make the card sell your business. You are the sales person. You can't seriously drum up business incognito.

If you just want to identify yourself at a conference and not hand out contact info, then wear a name tag showing whatever name you wish to use on that day.

Previous suggestions are good also.........get one that you can write on. Keep it simple. Not too flashy. Be careful with colors.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    One suggestion on the card, stay away from "Glossy". They may look better, but they are very difficult to write on, and many attendees like to write on the back of the cars to help identify opportunities. This way, when they get home, they can go through the hundreds of cards they receive and sort accordingly. In short, get a type of card that can be written on and give space (usually the back) to write on.
    The Glossy cards at VistaPrint are only glossy on the front.

I have three different types of business cards now:

1) Flashy promotional cards that I give to consumers. They have absolutely no contact information, and are basically just a business-card sized ad for a site. I leave these anywhere that's appropriate: With (good) tips at restaurants, if people ask about my site, if businesses have a public billboard for people to put cards on, etc.

2) My normal business card. This has full contact information, including address, business phone number, fax number (I think?), etc.

3) My new "250 for $0.99" business card. This has my eVoice phone number, my email address, site name and slogan, and my name. I plan on giving these out at conventions to people I don't want to do business with (CPA Networks, merchants in areas I don't work in, affiliates I don't know, etc.) if they ask for a card or have a drawing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    When you attend Affiliate Summit, there are MANY CPA networks there. If you meet someone and they ask for a card, I see it as rude to tell them no. If you give them a card with your phone number on it, you are guaranteed that they will call you to "run their offers".
    Being somewhat of a snob as to who I work with, I don't run offers for the most part. You will find a dozen or so CPA type offers across all of my sites, usually for filler. So I had cards made with my name my site name and an email address. I did not include a phone number because I do not want unsolicited phone calls from CPA networks. They bother me and nothing good ever comes from them.
    Ask any AM or network I work with regularaly and they will tell you that I am all about talking on the phone from time to time. I see value in keeping in contact etc. with my AMs. Also, any AM I work with is welcome to call me at any time with no notice if they need me for something. These are established relationships, there is a difference. I see no value in some CPA network that I will never work with calling me just because I met them and gave them a card. You will meet many, many very nice people at Summit, but you will not want to work with all of them so why allow them to interrupt your day? Just my opinion.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Scooter is right about the CPA networks. It is just as bad for Affiliate Managers.

If you are cautious about giving a card, remember this:

As an affiliate, you hold all the cards (pun intended). If someone wants your card bad enough, they will offer theirs.

In turn, you can review the card and decide if this is someone you would like to give your card to.

If not, hand their card back and say "no thanks"

If yes, give one of yours.

What you "lose" in being rude for a second, you gain in not having to be rude in the future when you probably don't have the time.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I guess you could just give them a card from one of the other CPA Networks instead of one of your own?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    I have made some incredibly valuable contacts at Affiliate Summit. I will openly admit that some of them I had no idea would end up being great contacts. I have met people with CPA networks who have introduced me to other people who I now work with.

I am not slamming the CPA guys, it is just not my model to work with them to any real degree. Some of the people I look forward to seeing most are people I do not work with and probably never will work with.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Good points Scoot.

I may have sounded TOO harsh on the CPA networks. Like you, they are not for us at HometownQuotes. In our experience, all of them have sucked.

I still like Coley's idea though
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Thanks for the tips everyone...much appeciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    I still like Coley's idea though
    Is it okay if I stop by your booth on Sunday and pick up a few extra business cards?

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I have to agree with the comment someone made about two-sided glossy cards. They look great but its best to go with just one side glossy, one side plain. We had glossy on both sides at the last Summit and I ended up needing to keep a separate notepad for all the comments I wanted to make about each person that dropped cards at our booth.

Something else I noticed some people did on their business cards at the conferences was include a picture of themselves. The point of this is that its hard to remember names when you meet so many people at these conferences, but with the picture on the card you can jog someone's memory more easily. However, I wouldn't hand those cards out necessarily to everyone since you don't want a million people having photographs of yourself. For what its worth, those cards we received with photo were really helpful in recalling the details of the conversation.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Being that it's only 99 cents for 250 cards, http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...777#post701777

just print 2 sets. One with your tel #, real domain name email addd, etc

the other, just print,
    Eric Ewe <<YOUR NAME>>
    Internet Consultant <<YOUR TITLE>>
    email address at gmail.com <<FREE WEB EMAIL ADD>>
    leave out your tel #

Nice one Erci. That's the most typical business card

Looking through the ones from affiliates that we collected at our AS East booth and from a Merchant/Advertiser perspective, I have to say that I like ones with some contact info and maybe with a pointer to something useful I can look at.

I have cards that are as simple as name, number and email to folks who are doing a little brand-building with a cool logo, slogan and very business-looking. Others have a list of their websites/domains they run, while others list their areas of expertise or achievements (e.g. google adwords professional, or CJ Performer). I have cards that are totally out of context (e.g. real estate agent) and others with just a domain name.

In the end, you want to be remembered by the people who you want to remember you and if all they have is nothing, then what good was that -- You may as well have stayed home!

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Being that it's only 99 cents for 250 cards, http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...777#post701777

just print 2 sets. One with your tel #, real domain name email addd, etc

the other, just print,
    Eric Ewe <<YOUR NAME>>
    Internet Consultant <<YOUR TITLE>>
    email address at gmail.com <<FREE WEB email ADD>>
    leave out your tel #
    Give the one with the gmail address w/o tel # to the CPA networks. You will not be getting any calls
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread