Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Widgets are live!
    Affiliates, you may now preview and download widgets for use.

See the "Get Widgets" link in your account....have fun!
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Affiliate Manager
    Looks great Brian. Is there a way merchants can see how well each widget is performing?

Thanks

Bob

Baby steps... Yes - there are stats available, we just typically like to let things run for a while with new "toys" before providing the stats, etc... just to make sure things are working.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Affiliate Manager
    Sounds good...thanks.

So are the widgets a mini storefront that the merchants can set up? I don't see very many merchants listed.

Hmm. I just check two or three merchants' widgets. They look interesting, and probably useful.

BUT -- I did notice this symbol:

In several widgets. It appears instead of an apostrophe in some, and as other spacing or punctuation in others.

It isn't in all the widgets, and it's only in some of the tabs within a widget.

Gary the Writerguy

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    OK, I widgeted, but does this mean that everyone who uses that widget will have an identical thing on their site....if 1000s of us do it or even 100s it might not be a good thing. Is it?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    I don't see very many merchants listed.
    Whoops, forgot to make some of them active. Merchants who made or who are making widgets may want to make sure that they set them to active on your make a widget page.
    KK

I am all widgeted up For the lazy affiliate this is great stuff.

I am not crazy about the ones that have a color in the background. My red and white site now has a green widget but what am I to do. The problem I see is when the user clicks on the orange link with the green background they are taken to the merchants store which is white with black text. Just like the newspaper is.

This is by far the best thing that has happened to affiliate marketing since Haiko gave me that pen that I can't stop spinning imho of course
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Ah haaa It's not just me that worries bout the colors not matching. lol Just teasing nyfalcon I actually found one that has the background and tabs that kinda do match my site. Not quite, but kinda close enough. lol Agree, tho there are several where the colors just don't match. Maybe in the future.....color choices will be an option maybe???

Question about what oranges mentioned about looking alike. Since the code's javascript....the little spider guys are supposed to ignore that, right?? So, we won't be penalized for the duplicate content?? Or, least if we have plenty of other content on the page with it, it'll be ok??

Thanks Brian for comin up with this. and all the affiliate managers too who've been working on them.

Oranges has a good point; are we able to edit the information (i.e. text) in the widgets to personalize the information?

Do you have any tips for webmasters in terms of using the widgets in a variety of ways so that even if many webmasters use the widgets the web pages will still have a unique feel?

It didn't seem as if the widgets can be made to match different size/length requirements -- perhaps the ability to conform to various sizes would be an adaptation worth looking into.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It does not look like we can modify them at all re color, text, etc.

Some of these questions were asked in the original thread announcing widgets, but were never answered.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Do you have any tips for webmasters in terms of using the widgets in a variety of ways so that even if many webmasters use the widgets the web pages will still have a unique feel?
    Since the widgets are just Javascript code, I believe that even if 1K different affiliates use the same widgets on their sites, I don't see a problem with that.

To me, it looks like any of those widgets would be like a new hot video, it won't matter how many stores sells the same video, it's how those stores get the visitors to their store to buy it there, and not to the other stores accross the street that have the same video for sale and, at the same price.

-------

Now I will go to play with some new widgets, and see how they fit and convert, on some current pages.

Ok, I added all of the widgets I can fit. Thanks

Oh, the ebeanstalk, not sure what is up but when I tried to use it it completely messed my site up, I think it is too wide, but not sure. Something about it is different though, the others all went in fine.
    Last edited by Anne; May 29th, 2007 at 10:27 PM.

Talking
    I just uploaded my first widget and I like what I see!

The links work, the search box work, the width size of the widget, is good enough for me, for now.

I found a little bug!

The widget I used, works fine as is, but when you have your own CSS on the page, the tabs links might not look that good, I was having problem seeing the links on the tabs, but I discovered that it was the color I was using on the ( a:visited {color: ) part of my CSS, After I changed my default color, I was able to see the tab default links color.

--------

Btw, in the past, I used to look for merchants with datafeeds, now I will look for merchants with good widgets too.

Kudos on finding the "little bug," Mr. Sal

Your advice to look for merchants with datafeeds and widgets is good
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    make sure that they set them to active on your make a widget page.
    Oooch! Good tip that...better go kick everyone and make sure they have done that
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Anything special we're supposed to do?

On netscape I just get a blank white page

On IE I get runtime error popups, then it crashes

Looks exciting.

Can we place more than one widget on the same page, different merchants or those merchants that have more than one widget?

Thanks
    Richard

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey Richard,
    Yep, I tested just what you're talking about and had no issues: CTang's Widget Testing Grounds

Great! Thanks Carolyn.

Richard

Affiliate Manager
    I have been excited about SAS widgets for a month now, great that we get to play with them now

Some general information on widgets....based on the questions coming up....

1. Widgets can be product showcases...yes. They can also be places for coupons, seasonal merchandise, highlighted products, even general information (content). They are anything that the merchant includes in them, basically.

2. They are generated in realtime from ShareASale....which means that there is no benefit (and no penalty) in terms of search engine rankings, etc...

3. The benefit comes from real-time updates to your site when a merchant changes a promo. For example... one tab in a merchant might currently be highlighting "Father's Day" products that they sell a lot of during the month of June.... When Father's Day comes and goes, the merchant can change that tab to something else... the next holiday - such as "4th of July", etc... and the changes will be immediate on all affiliate sites - without any effort on the part of the affiliate.

4. Colors, text, tabs are all controlled by the merchant. "Affiliate Widgets" are something that we are working on. Merchants can create "private" widgets so if you need colors, sizes, whatever... please let them know.

5. Billy K - please send me the page where you are trying to load the page... sounds like a complete error on that and I would want to take a look at it.

6. WriterGuy - the odd symbols are ASCII characters above a certain readable range that are in Merchant datafeeds... They would disappear if a merchant removed them from their datafeed ...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    6. WriterGuy - the odd symbols are ASCII characters above a certain readable range that are in Merchant datafeeds... They would disappear if a merchant removed them from their datafeed ...
    Thought that was probably the case. I really wish the merchants had time and way to remove such characters. They're messing with a number of the datafeeds AND the widgets.

Ah, well. As you said near the top of this thread -- "baby steps."

Gary the Writerguy

Hey, while I'm here and posting:

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN WIDGET SIZES:

I do a LOT of WordPress blogs. Probably half of my sites are modified WordPress blogs of one sort or another.

Many of the WordPress themes accept WordPress "widgets"-- not to be confused with SAS widgets. WordPress widgets generally fit the classic (?) Google Adsense skyscraper or wide skyscraper size: generally 120X600 or 160X600.

The important measurement is the width -- anything wider than 190-200 pixels simply won't fit in a WordPress sidebar for most themes.

I would absolutely LOVE some widgets designed, say, 170 to 190 pixels wide. I have WordPress plugins and widgets that would eat up such sizes!

Thanks.

Gary the Writerguy

(I've spent about an hour using every sort of WordPress hack/gimmick, etc., to make one of those great wide widgets conform to my sidebar, to no avail.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast