Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    MYAP - looks like suicide
    Just got this from a merchant:

"I am afraid that "My Affiliate Program" has decided that they can change the monthly fee for me from about $50 a month to a minimum of $500 a month or more. They want to do this from July."

Yikes - I figure we're gonna see a lot of merchants using MYAP jumping ship
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I got a similar email from one merchant yesterday, and another merchant this morning. I expect to see many more in the next few days.

As I understand it, Kowabunga raised its "new customer" fee structure a couple of years ago, probably in order to make the company a more attractive acquisition candidate. Now that the company has been acquired (by a shady operator), they are essentially purging the lower-profit clients who helped to build the company's reputation.

As a "pure profit-and-loss decision," it might seem to make sense: if they raise the fees on these small companies by 10x, then even if they lose 89% of these clients they will still increase overall profits (while reducing support costs). But I think it is absolutely a bad business decision.

I certainly expect to see more than half of the defecting MyAP merchant-clients move to ShareASale, and I sure hope that Brian and crew are rolling out the welcome mat and doing some pre-emptive communication with all the Kowabunga merchants.

This is probably also be an opportunity for Outsourced Program Managers, although these are clearly merchants who are drawing a relatively small sales volume from their affiliate channel.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Good. I hope they all migrate their programs to SAS.

Affiliate Manager
    Wow, glad I never went with MYAP back when they kept calling me and bugging me about their services.

Wow... Expensive...

Geno

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    This one's not that easy for me to decide my feelings on... MyAp charges a flat fee, not a percent of sales or comms - so if $500 a month at MyAp is too much... and if SAS charges 20% of comms paid... if their monthly comms are $2,500 total, 20% of $2,500 in comms is $500 network fee... so if these folks pay out less than $2,500 a month, they'd pay less at SAS to be a merchant... if they pay more than $2,500 in comms a month, MyAp would still be cheaper...

SAS is superior for reasons other than just price.

I'm not sure that motivating the micro merchants at myap to come to sas is a good thing, maybe it's an okay thing... but i'm thinking it's probably not a great thing...

Oh well, time will tell. As an affiliate, I get to choose which to work with, so the more the merrier i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I certainly expect to see more than half of the defecting MyAP merchant-clients move to ShareASale...
    It'd be interesting to see what really happens, but if they do decide to switch to SaS -- good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    This is probably also be an opportunity for Outsourced Program Managers, although these are clearly merchants who are drawing a relatively small sales volume from their affiliate channel.
    It's never too late to start growing.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    This one's not that easy for me to decide my feelings on... MyAp charges a flat fee, not a percent of sales or comms - so if $500 a month at MyAp is too much... and if SAS charges 20% of comms paid... if their monthly comms are $2,500 total, 20% of $2,500 in comms is $500 network fee... so if these folks pay out less than $2,500 a month, they'd pay less at SAS to be a merchant... if they pay more than $2,500 in comms a month, MyAp would still be cheaper...
    True too. Good point. D.

Yet, it may still be expensive for smaller merchants, or those that are just starting out. On 10% commission, for example, they'd have to have $25,000 in steady monthly sales from affiliates to break even. I know for a fact that most merchants don't do this much.

Geno

http and a telephoto
    MyAp may be cheaper, but Shareasale has more features and benefits than MyAp. I hope the merchants do look at Shareasale and don't just fold.
    Last edited by loxly; May 31st, 2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Again?
    They did this from $49 to $150 back before I left.

Now up to $500 ?

I'm not a fan of the move - but they do it to thin out the herd a bit and alow them to focus resources in the big guys instead of the smaller ones.

Jeff Doak has moved on recently as well - all kinds of fun happening at KB.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Geno is spot on. It's never to late to start growing an affiliate program. It might get harder, depending on who you've angered, but the window never truly closes.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I wonder if improved service will come with these larger fees. Somehow I doubt it.

I've been extremely unimpressed with MyAP as an affiliate. They take absolutely no responsibility in making sure that affiliates are paid, and allow merchants to remain on the network for months and sometimes YEARS without paying affiliates.

I don't think they've ever claimed to be a network, though. From my understanding, they're basically just a hosted software provider. As such, $500 per month is outrageously expensive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    So is the $500 just for current members? Because 2 years ago it was posted it was $2000 a month for new members:

http://www.threadwatch.org/node/3310

I think that's the last thing SAS needs, $50 merchants. That's a few pizzas. Let Clickxchange or Clixgalore have them.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior
    Jeff Doak has moved on recently as well - all kinds of fun happening at KB.
    Wade, can you tell me where to find my old buddy Jeff?

He's still listed here:
    http://www.kowabunga.com/aboutus_team_jeffdoak.asp
    But I don't doubt you, pages like that are rarely kept updated.

Jeff Doak is one of the highest quality network people I've ever had the pleasure to talk to, he's got class, ethics and smarts. If he's gone, that a real shame for them. Given what the ownership changes have meant over the last year or so, it wouldn't surprise me if he has left. He's the number one reason I've continued to work with them through times that were less than ideal.

I can say that where ever he lands will get my full attention as well.

There are few like him in our industry and I've been proud to work with him and to know him personally as well.

If he ever landed someplace good (like SAS or AvantLink), I might literally shed tears of joy.

ABW Ambassador
    This Week’s News & Gossip - Jeff Doak: Movin’ On From Kowabunga!

http://odeo.com/audio/12068433/view

Trust and Donuts are right as well though. I guess the question becomes what's in a merchants budget to burn monthly with no real return?

Is it the monthly minimum at SAS, just to recruit a few affiliates?
    Is it $500 a month to passively manage an affiliate program?

Or are they going to get serious and budget for a good program... With active management and the hope of growth and ROI.

Perhaps emails like this one are actually a benefit to the industry. Clear the clutter, and let affiliates focus on programs that are built to succeed.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    "Wade, can you tell me where to find my old buddy Jeff?"

Jeff Doak - Converseon (not sure if official yet) He said that on a podcast.

Actually listening to it, don't like what he's saying.
    Last edited by Trust; May 30th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think it's a bad move. Geno said:

Quote Originally Posted by Geno
    On 10% commission, for example, they'd have to have $25,000 in steady monthly sales from affiliates to break even.
    MyAP is likely dreaming if they think big merchants are going to pay network-level fees for nonnetwork service.

I urge anyone in favor of mass "clearing out" policies to remember that at one point, YOU were a 2-bit player who only made beer money, if that. If the same "big boys only" policies you advocate for merchants were applied to you then, you would have ended up out of business.

Startup merchants deserve the same courtesy we all got when we started our affiliate endeavors. Culling $50 merchants is just as silly as kicking out affiliates who don't yet have traffic!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    MYAP is now charging 30% of each commission as a txn fee. I believe the $500/mo network fee is a minimum required, so it's 30% of commissions paid OR $500/mo, whichever is greater.

This move comes trailing behind the launch of MYAP's new platform aka Version 9, which offers far more features than ever before.

Having said this, while I personally never had a bad experience with MYAP to speak of, this change in network fees along with a few other factors resulted in Everest Nutrition's decision to go exclusive on Shareasale, as of June 30th, 2007 - something I'd been pushing for, for some time anyhow.

While network fees at MYAP have definitely increased, I can say the service I received from the staff there was always fantastic. I just happen to prefer the SAS interface and the fact that their application screening is more thorough.

Mind you, I've never actually used V.9 on MYAP - we were using an old version from a few years ago. I did see a demo of it and it looked MUCH better than V.8 - like a whole other animal altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Jeff Doak - Converseon (not sure if official yet) He said that on a podcast.
    Actually listening to it, don't like what he's saying.
    Trust, thanks! I can't get the audio to load. But I do see that converseon has affiliate summit listed on their events agenda. I hope that Jeff surfaces there.

As for the converseon site, so many buzzwords i can't tell what they are or what they do. They talk about being born, fundamentally transformed, blowing up the model, web 2.0, they plan to "leverage the changing ways individuals found, gathered, synthesized, shared and acted on information". Seems they're either working with homeland security or are terrorists themselves (that's a joke people, they're just buzzword happy, but the do claim to have blown something up)...

"to forge a new entity that would bring new and innovative communications solutions to clients"
    they might also sell cell phones...

"Because, at Converseon, we recognize that the conversation never stops"
    sounds like women are running this company... (another joke people... sorta...)

"Converseon was born through communications innovation"
    think that means they humped under a cell phone tower or in the phone company's repair van or something... or perhaps chat room sex isn't as safe as i once thought...

Anyhow, maybe we can get Jeff sauced at Aff Summit (nope, i don't know if he'll be there) and get him to heave up the double-speak chip they may have already implanted...

if they're charging 30%, SAS is a no brainer. welcome aboard to all who depart myap.

and they need to update this page:
    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/myap_pro.asp
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No Setup Fees: There are no setup fees for MyAP, just a simple, all-inclusive monthly fee

No Network Commissions: Your monthly fee is NOT based on how well you do running your own program - as it does with our competitors who charge 30% of affiliate commissions

No Hidden Fees: We don't charge extra for support, minor customizations, modules/specialized software add-ons
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

let's have a pool as to how long it takes for 4checks to open a program at SAS?

i'd be happier than spit about that (if Jeff's left KB).

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust, thanks! I can't get the audio to load."

It's actually good. You're just missing some misinformation, negativity et.

Jeff M.

"Ebay is banning all search affiliates"

And not one of them corrected that misstatement. They're just stopping direct to ebay PPC, that's it.

Lots of other stuff that I was just shaking my head throughout.

MYAP is at the bottom of my list for looking programs to join

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    No more Jeff?

This is the first I've heard of this.

Wherever he lands, they're lucky to have him. He was a true gem and knew how to get things done. Quick response, clear answers, and the list goes on...
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast