Affiliate Manager
    PPC Program Manager Needed
    Just wondering if anyone has any reccomendations (or would like to reccomend themsevles) for individuals who would be interested in running a PPC campaign for an up-and-coming webstore?

Additionally, does anyone feel strongly that this isn't worth outsourcing?

Let your affiliates do the PPC for you... That would be my advice
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    What is the budget?

mackin@makemetop.com

Online Marketing Consultant
    budget would be key here. You might want to find someone or a company who you feel confident with and get a crash course with some tutoring and bring it in house if you don't want to spend on a consultant. It is definitely something that would be good for anyone with an online store to learn though; so getting a crash course and then reading in the forums here would definitely be beneficial for you. I would strongly reccomend some of Donuts posts on PPC.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    I would strongly reccomend some of Donuts posts on PPC.

I'd agree with reading Donuts posts about ppc. I read one the other day from last year and it is truly a work of art. You'll learn more from that post in 20 minutes, than through trial and error (and many $$$) in a year.

I did a search to find it again for you.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79459

Start there but don't stop with it. The knowledge on this site about ppc alone, can save you thousands of dollars (and earn you thousands more!) and it's completely free!

This is one of the things I do as a consultant and the first thing I often suggest is to throw any PPC "budgets" out the door.

A few months after I launched the earliest Overture PPC campaigns for MovieGoods in 2001, I got a frantic call from the company's chief operating officer, who was aghast that he could not properly budget the expense. I was increasing our spending by about 50% every month. He wanted me to pick a budget number, and cap spending at that level.

I told him that I was managing the campaigns so that every dollar spent would drive five dollars in sales. I asked him where he wanted to cap the company's sales -- and he shut up. (I think I spent $10,000 on PPC campaigns that month, which seemed like a huge amount at the time.)

Key advice: do not hire a company based solely on a "percentage of spend" basis -- anyone can spend your money like a drunken sailor, if you let them. Instead, set specific ROI performance goals.

This is certainly something that you should consider doing in-house, but if you don't have PPC-search experience, you will almost certainly need some outside advice to get you started. (hint: http://www.MarkWelch.com/)

Of course, it's also true that many merchants find that their affiliates can do a better job at PPC marketing, especially when you consider that the affiliates are taking all the risk by spending their own money for the ads. I certainly make a nice pocketful of money each month from my own "affiliate-role PPC" activities.
    Last edited by markwelch; May 30th, 2007 at 08:16 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    I would recommend Donuts for strategy.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Mark, good post about budgets - I concur. When consulting, I've learned to not fight it and instead, just ask for a budget number at first, hit that and try to kill the roi, then come back and tell them there's room to drive the budget higher and maintain that roi. Or push even harder beyond that, with a reduction in roas ratio, but corresponding geometric bump in volume.

The 5:1 thing sounds just like me talking!!! Once an account is under control, I routinely ask my clients how hard they want me to push, not in terms of budget, but in ratios. Tell them we're at 7:1 (sales:ad spend) for example but we can grow the volume substantially if they allow me to go to 5:1 or whatever.

They usually ask what the spend levels will be and I make some guesstimates (they're so budget centric!). In my mind, if 7:1 comes around and your ppc consultant has taken you there from your previous 2:1 or 3:1, where you used to be happy... then burn the previous budget plans and take out a loan if you need to.

"Key advice: do not hire a company based solely on a "percentage of spend" basis -- anyone can spend your money like a drunken sailor, if you let them. Instead, set specific ROI performance goals."

Mark, outstanding advice! I recommend exactly that - roi goals / performance based pay. Where needed, add a secondary restraint, a budget max limit. But pay the ppc driver for results / performance. The best ones will be very happy to make this arrangement.

Affiliate Manager
    Wow, thanks for the readings! Very informative. At this point, we might not have the manpower to keep the PPC management inhouse. We're looking for a professional with a solid background, because we're getting very close to our "busy season."

To answer the budget question, we don't have one set just, yet. I venture to say the budget for this campaign will probably start modest and then immediately adapt depending on ROI.

If anyone is still interested, let's get an email dialogue going to talk specifics.

Again, thank you everyone so much for the insight. We're a relatively new company, still getting our legs and growing!

Knight01, many thanks for pointing me to that thread!

Internet Cowboy
    If you have a good PPC person, you will pawn everything you own and let them spend that money.
    Seriously, I am in a hurry so I have not read the posts here, but budgeting for PPC is like only allowing yourself enough paper to print 20 $100 bills a day. Cash flow sometimes comes into play, but if your PPC is working right you will usually find more money.

jess -

email sent.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread