Lowest Domain Rates.com has stolen my site!
    It isn't even midnight and I have renewed the domain which was due today but they have taken my site down and are stealing my traffic!!!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Wow, I hope they do right by you and turn it back over to you.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

ouch

"It usually takes 24-48 for restoration. If you don't renew the domain, anything can happen. It's not about midnight. It happens usually 5 days before that."

So, their reply is that they plan to steal and divert traffic from my property to their own site five days before it ceases to be my property!!!!

I need to get my domains somewhere else. Ideas? I need to change the DNS easily.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

FWIW I use Yahoo, and have ZERO problems with them in 4 years. And it's a good thing I haven't had problems, since I understand they're a bear to get a hold of.

Domain control panel is easy and good though. DNS and all that good stuff is easy to work with and change.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I've got domains with Dotster and Enom, and not had any trouble out of either of them. Of course, I went ahead and purchased a years worth of registrations for all of my domains that expire this year at the same time so I wouldn't forget to do them.

Back on subject, both are easy to make changes.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

They do not have my consent to use my domain or divert traffic from my site even one single minute before I no longer own it. Doing so is theivery. Who should I complain to about this?

Surely, this is an illegal practice.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    No wonder they've got the "lowest domain rates." They make up for it by swiping people's domains for a week and milking the click fees! Never mind your ranks in the engines or that your viewers may go away! Pathetic.

Before letting them know they're fired (if you haven't already), make sure your domain is back up and in your name, so you can transfer it out in the dark of night, so to speak. Otherwise they may do some other badness, like steal it outright and keep it, and then say "but you said you didn't want to renew" or somesuch crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lousy Blighters
    "It usually takes 24-48 for restoration. If you don't renew the domain, anything can happen. It's not about midnight. It happens usually 5 days before that."
    OMG...what a load!

IMO they are doing that to intentionally siphon off clicks from people's normal traffic--without even having to pay for a domain.

Who should I complain to about this?
    There's a few fronts you can hit this on.

1) ICANN, which is the body governing registrars. If it's against their TOS, the registrar MAY get in trouble. From what I've read, this process may be politicized to the point of not being too effective. But it's worth a shot.

2) The FTC; they may be interested since this is a rotten trade practice, and it's the Federal TRADE Commission.

Or, aim for the blighers' wallet:

Whoever is paying for the clicks that come through the parked page's ads may object to the practice. It's probably Yahoo/Overture, but do a "view source" to see what's in the click-tracking code. If a biggie is behind the ads, they may ban the tactic, if only to avoid later lawsuits. If it's some small ad place, who knows. But it's worth a try.

Godaddy usually restores within minutes, but usually no longer than a couple of hours at most.

ABW Ambassador
    I have had superb service through Godaddy.

BTW, I believe there's a mandatory time period that a domain has to be put on hold status in order for the owner to be able register it late There's usually a fee, but it's worth it. That can be checked with ICANN. In fact, tell them that you fully intend to file a formal complaint with ICANN.

I don't see where they're an accredited registrar, my guess is that they're a domain reseller through another outfit that is accredited.

From their own Terms of Service - linked to but not on their site

https://secure.onlineaccess.net/cart....php?agent_id=

Should you fail to renew or cancel your domain name registration by the expiration date, your domain name registration shall AUTOMATICALLY EXPIRE and you shall lose all rights in and to the expired domain name. Expired domain names are routinely deleted on a regular basis. There is no grace period and under no circumstances will Lowest Domain Rates.com be able to renew the domain after the automatic expiration.

Although you will no longer be able to renew your expired domain name, you can redeem it under the Registrar Redemption program. For a fee of $100.00 (plus the cost of your renewal), Lowest Domain Rates.com will attempt to restore your domain to its original status. This redemption program is valid for 30 days from the release of your domain. After that time, you may attempt to re-register the expired domain name as new.
    You're entitled to the grace period for redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    You're entitled to the grace period for redemption.
    I was not even IN the grace period!!!

My domain should NOT have expired! They state that they take a domain 5 days before it is due to expire and direct it to a page of their own to steal your traffic!!!

BTW it is back up!

oooh really sorry to hear what they did. Don't know all the legalities of what you can do about it Not so sure about their hosting but agree with the others about GoDaddy as far as the domain names.

Outsourced Program Manager paladin's Avatar
    One option is to do the math on what you lost in those 5 days and bring them to court.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you get this straightened out.

Godaddy has this outfit beat by price plus they send multiple renewal reminders. And, if that all fails they allow you a month to renew late for a fee.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The only drawback with godaddy is if you fail to renew in time (after their grace period) and it goes into "hold" mode it costs like $80 to get it back, but you can get it back. The domain better be worth it.

I have had nothing but great experience at GoDaddy and have an assigned account rep. I just send her an email of what I want to do (bulk renew, buy, delete, etc), and it's done super fast. Love their 24 hour phone support and when I call and give my user account info, they send me to my account rep. What great service!

You can also set up a back up credit card number, should a renew not go through for any reason on the first. That saved my butt once when I had not realized the experiation date had expired on the primary card.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I've had only minor issues with Godaddy over the years and they usually get resolved eventually.

In addition to all the other routes to settle up with this registrar, file a complaint with your attorney general's office. They do follow up and they do get results.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread