ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Gator Basketball Fans
    Billy took the money. Now will be coaching my favorite NBA team, the Orlando Magic.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think he should have stayed with the gators.

magic, some good players and they are just OK as a team

ABW Ambassador
    I think he should have stayed too. They were talking about some players already committing to Florida but now that's he's leaving, that's not good for them. And college coaches historically have had a bad history at coaching in the NBA. Hopefully this one works out tho.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    WOOHOO!

Tubby AND Billy gone in the same year!

With them gone and Tyler Smith transferring from Iowa (and MAYBE getting approved for THIS year) it's gonna be some good times for the Vols!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I think he should have stayed too. They were talking about some players already committing to Florida but now that's he's leaving, that's not good for them. And college coaches historically have had a bad history at coaching in the NBA. Hopefully this one works out tho.
    All I have to say is that Rick Pitino is still in my nightmares and certainly on my ISH list. Good luck Magic fans.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    All I have to say is that Rick Pitino is still in my nightmares and certainly on my ISH list. Good luck Magic fans.
    I love the Pitino connection when it comes to the NBA!

Rick Pitino is Billy D's mentor and told him to reconsider and take the Orlando job.

I love it! Orlando has something to be happy about finally when it comes to the Orlando Tragic!

He's a players coach and he is going to get these guys to play ball! Maybe he can bring back some of the former Gators to Orlando....

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    ... college coaches historically have had a bad history at coaching in the NBA.
    Very true. Odds are against Donovan being a success in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyClickTravel
    I love the Pitino connection when it comes to the NBA! Rick Pitino is Billy D's mentor and told him to reconsider and take the Orlando job.
    Pitino is the poster child for great college coaches flopping in the NBA.

In just the past few years, add Tim Floyd, Mike Montgomery, John Calipari, etc.

With few exceptions, winning NBA coaches progress from NBA player to NBA assistant coach to NBA head coach.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Well to be fair, a lot of them also inherited horrible teams which played a part. With Magic, they have Dwight Howard to build around, made the first round of the playoffs, but they have a long way to go. So it'll depend on how they draft/trade, what players they can get and how he adapts to the NBA game and coaching NBA players. Like AffiliateHound said, usually they move up the NBA ranks and are usually assistant coaches in the NBA first before becoming a head coach. College coach to NBA head coach is a big jump.

Affiliate Manager
    ... So it'll depend on how they draft/trade, what players they can get and how he adapts to the NBA game and coaching NBA players.

True and he is in the perfect situation for that because the Magic are soooo young! They need to "learn" to play ball and Billy can do that. Plus they will listen to him over Brian Hill any day.

He has all the tools (salary cap money, young emerging talent, etc. etc. ) to make it successful.

By the way, Billy D is getting crazy perks.

According to the local paper he is getting access to a condo in Orlando so he doesn't have to relocate or lose his home in G'ville. Plus he can hire up to 11 positions within the team. Unheard of when hiring a "rookie" coach.

This guy is going to own the team!

Well to be fair, a lot of them also inherited horrible teams which played a part.
    A lot of being a good NBA coach is turning a bad team around - Larry Brown did it several times (I know, not with the Knicks), Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc. That's more often than not what a new coach is hired to do, rather than in the few instances where a new coach takes over a winning team.

Orlando does have a lot of promising talent, besides Howard. Darko Milicic, given some pt, showed he can play in the NBA and is still only 22, JJ Redick might develop into a scorer, and if ever healthy for a full season ex-Bruin Trevor Ariza is a real talent, and still is only 21 after leaving school so early.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    Hopefully they get it together. I've been a Magic fan since they came into the league since I lived in Orlando. Had to thru losing Shaq, Penny not being what people expected, TMAC leaving (which I think turned out not so bad) and then Grant Hill with the ankle and the surgeries. I thought they kept bringing him back too soon, that went on for 3 or 4 seasons and sadly that cut his career short.

But Dwight Howard is solid.

edit Phil Jackson - I wouldn't put him in that category. He had Michael Jordan and the perfect complement of players. Went from that to Shaq and Kobe, the closest thing you'll see to a Jordan. Now that he has young players that need schooling, he's doing nothing. He's not known for being a Larry Brown type of coach, actually the opposite. He's known for coaching veterans, players with experience. I've always thought he was overrated. I could coach the teams he's had to winning seasons. And then this last year I think he was a major problem. First wanting Kobe to get the team more involved and then just completely switching it up and letting Kobe loose, when he went on that scoring tear.

He just inherited the team when Jordan was getting into his own. Take the Cavs, I think they have one of the worst coaches in Mike Brown but they're almost in the Eastern Conference Finals. I would chalk that up to LeBron and being in the Eastern Conference.

Re P Jackson: With the Bulls, they were improving slightly under Doug Collins when Jackson took over, but the team was still Jordan, a bunch of other guys, and no system. He and Tex Winter put in the triangle, Pippin, Grant, Cartwright, Kerr, et al developed and played their assigned roles, and history was made. His first stint with LA was similar - more talent but no "team". He put in the same system and won with two stars and an average supporting cast. The team was in shambles the year he was gone, even with Kobe and Shaq. He came back and they got to the conf. finals the first year. True he is not the teacher some of these other guys are, or a real turn-around coach a la Larry Brown, but he did take two under-achieving situations and bought them championships.

ABW Ambassador
    The triangle this year was a disaster, they weren't getting it. He's the coach. Like I posted earlier, in the middle of the season he just abandoned it and let Kobe loose.

"A lot of being a good NBA coach is turning a bad team around"

Right. Are you seeing that with Phil Jackson and the Lakers? I'm not. I saw what I posted in the first paragraph. Abandoning the system, letting Kobe loose for how many 50+ point games, an 81 point game.

Also, a major problem is that they're in the Western Conference. I think for Kobe to ever see the Finals again, it's going to have to be on an Eastern Conference team. The Western Conference was already too strong before this draft. Now 2 more Western Conference teams are going to get stronger. I don't see the Lakers competing anytime soon. I don't think you'll ever see Kobe in the Finals again in a Lakers uniform.

The triangle this year was a disaster, they weren't getting it. He's the coach. Like I posted earlier, in the middle of the season he just abandoned it and let Kobe loose.

"A lot of being a good NBA coach is turning a bad team around"

Right. Are you seeing that with Phil Jackson and the Lakers? I'm not. I saw what I posted in the first paragraph. Abandoning the system, letting Kobe loose for how many 50+ point games, an 81 point game.
    His hands were really tied last year at mid-season, due to inuries. There was a period of several weeks when 3, 4 or 5 of his first 5 font-line players were all out with injuries. With no Lamar Odom, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm (who missed the entire season) and Vlad Radmanovich all out, it had to be Kobe or else.

Also, a major problem is that they're in the Western Conference. I think for Kobe to ever see the Finals again, it's going to have to be on an Eastern Conference team. The Western Conference was already too strong before this draft. Now 2 more Western Conference teams are going to get stronger. I don't see the Lakers competing anytime soon. I don't think you'll ever see Kobe in the Finals again in a Lakers uniform.
    Absolutely right re the strength of the West. With Kobe and a similar roster, they will be fighting for the last playof spot and a quick exit every year. If they trade Kobe, there will probably be a couple of lottery years.

Even if they were to persuade Jerry West to return, his record with Memphis the last few years was not impressive, and you have to wonder if he could really make any difference. But, I don't see him and Jackson co-habitating.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, it's a mess right now with them. And then with Kobe getting on the radio, airing out all the dirty laundry, saying he wants to be traded and then flip flopping, not a good look. But from what I heard I was actually understanding what he was saying. How he was taking the blame for Shaq leaving when they were going to get rid of him regardless. And then having long term plans to turn around the team and telling Kobe something else. I think his deal is up in 2009 and can test the market? He should go to the East. In the West, he's just going to get more and more frustrated. Either not making the playoffs or getting bounced early if they somehow manage to make them.

ABW Ambassador
    What the hell:

Donovan has second thoughts about Magic job

Sources say Billy Donovan has begun talks with the Magic about getting out of the Orlando coaching job. He would become one of the highest profile examples of coaches flip-flopping.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2892334

Affiliate Manager
    This is a travesty! Oh no, wait a minute.... IT'S JUST MAGIC BASKETBALL!!!!

Shaq bolted for L.A. 11 years ago, and the Magic never recovered.

There was the player coup that forced out Brian Hill in 1997, the injury-filled career of Grant Hill, the ugly trade of Tracy, the runaway draft pick, Fran Vazquez.

NOW BILLY D!

Drink up guys! It's going to be a long off-season!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread